SNES cart not working

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
One of my SNES games isn't working. It's a Super Mario Allstars + Super Mario World cartridge

I've opened it up and taken a look at it and it looks fine. I cleaned the contacts but still dead.

It just gives a black screen. All my other games work fine first go. I've tried this one on 3 different consoles.

Last edited:

ShambleS1980

Softmodder/Tsoper/Repairer of old xboxes.
AmiBayer
Country
Wales
Region
Gwynedd
does it have a battery in it? i know some of my old gba games with a battery would not work at all unless the battery had at least a tiny charge.

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
Yes its got a battery. I believe it still has the full 3 volts iirc.

I thought the battery is only to keep the NVRAM powered.

does it have a battery in it? i know some of my old gba games with a battery would not work at all unless the battery had at least a tiny charge.

Last edited:

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
So, I decided to take another look at this cart. Turns out the lower pins of one of the roms, 8 of them where loose.

The solder pads somehow broke from the board itself. I removed the solder and the pads and scratched away at the tracks to reveal the copper. I then bent the pins towards the copper and re-soldered them using my slightly less than excellent skills. :p

d1af60f3d9e9259ba6c61d63e70bdf95.jpg

Result ? First I tried it on my Japanese Super Famicom with a converter and instead of a black screen I got the message that it will not work on a NTSC Super Nintendo or Super Famicom. So I pulled out my old PAL SNES and set it up. The game finally works ... Well sort off.

48eb0e72ba99b2ea6c4f6e6396e7ed62.jpg

On the title select screen there are many horizontal lines

Super Mario 1 - Tested Works
Super Mario 2 - Tested Works
Super Mario USA - Tested Works
Super Mario 3 - Tested ....... Works but with horizontal lines
Super Mario World - Tested ... Nothing only blank screen

Anyway, at least I know the problem. But now I give up.

I've got 3 original Super Mario World carts
I've got an original Super Mario Allstars (without Super Mario World)
I've got an everdrive

If anyone thinks its worth fixing and wants to have a go just let me know.

Last edited:

dougal

AmiBayer
Country
Malta
I'll look for any more damaged solder points. I stopped yesterday cause I had had enough.

Top Bottom