Snobs within the retro computer community

Cubey

Country
USA
Region
Seattle, WA area
In a certain IRC channel earlier, a user said the following to me:

you barely could afford that ghetto 3k, so i was just wondering why you want to put money in expansions that functionaly have little use
but, whatever floats your boat you know (-:

Is it just me, or was that TOTALLY uncalled for? I was discussing the possibility of fabricating a lower drive bay section that is missing from my A3000T, if I can't find an original one to buy. I was being given the third degree about WHY I would need all the drive bays that Commodore provided in the tower case and like a fool, I went about indulging them by naming off devices I would put into the bays, including a Gotek (which I already have in a 500 currently). And the above was the response.

What's with people?!
dry.gif

Last edited:

Paul

Country
UK
Region
Croydon
The thing most people fail to realise is that "average intelligence" is not what most people have, it is exactly what it says: The average of everyone's intelligence. Very few people have exactly "average intelligence". Nearly half the world has a higher than average intelligence, nearly half have a lower intelligence. Add their intelligences together and divide by the number of people and that is average intelligence.

What this means is that nearly half the population of the world are idiots. When you realise this, comments like the one you got are easier to understand!

Cubey

Country
USA
Region
Seattle, WA area
The thing most people fail to realise is that "average intelligence" is not what most people have, it is exactly what it says: The average of everyone's intelligence. Very few people have exactly "average intelligence". Nearly half the world has a higher than average intelligence, nearly half have a lower intelligence. Add their intelligences together and divide by the number of people and that is average intelligence.

What this means is that nearly half the population of the world are idiots. When you realise this, comments like the one you got are easier to understand!

Nah, it's more like they're trying to be holier-than-thou since they wouldn't buy a "fixer upper" Amiga machine. Sure, I admit I paid a bit more than I should have. I didn't realize the drive bay section was missing until after I bought and paid for it, entirely my fault -- but I am doing my best to restore a sad, neglected uncommon Amiga 3000 Tower case. The mother board is super clean, looks like the battery was removed before it leaked. It works fine, it's just not in a mint condition case. The guy I bought it from said he bought out a storage unit full of Amiga stuff and he had to combine misc parts to get a (fairly) complete, working system and this was one of them. The front bezel is from an 040 machine which mine isn't and it was badly warped. I managed to straighten it out some with a hair dryer and run a screw through one drilled hole in the bezel (using an existing case hole) to force it into shape up top.

It's really not so bad looking. The bezel is still a bit warped in places but overall the case isn't in bad shape. The one screw and nut up top is all you see from having to modify the bezel.

Sany1836.jpg

DojoDan

Blogger
Country
UK
Region
West Midlands
We're all of the same opinion here. Which is why it's such a nice forum. That case is a beauty if you ask me. Lets face it, ppl spend money and time on a hobby that someone else might find pointless. I read yahoo news sometimes and some of the comments have to be seen to be believed. There truely are some awful and disillusioned people. On the article of the boy being picked out the sea, someone said they deserved all they get for putting their faith in people smugglers. Disgusting. Part of being an adult is standing up for yourself so tell thehaters to sod off :)

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
Don't justify your actions to any one yet alone some spanner on the internet, spend your money how you see fit and make yourself happy. People I know can't believe how much I spent on a 25 year old 060 for my A4000 but they don't judge me for it they just see it makes me happy. As long as it's not hurting anyone else, do what ever you please to make yourself happy :)

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
you dont need to justify anything to anyone,least of all us.

you do what you want,i know i do.i dont care what other people have,and i get what i want to get,its easy really.

Cubey

Country
USA
Region
Seattle, WA area
Part of being an adult is standing up for yourself so tell thehaters to sod off :)

Yeah that's my attitude in general, which tends to conflict with most people I have found. ^^;;

In regards to the jerk on IRC, I simply blocked him.

Last edited:

rootboy

Country
United States
Region
Tennessee
I wonder what he'd make of my slide rule collection? That I couldn't afford something with batteries?

TomCorbett

Country
USA
Region
Florida
LoL, that's funny. Not too many even have an idea what a sliderule is. One oddity to me was that I had one or two circular slide rules, which seems contrary to the term 'sliderule'. Heck my first calculator was a nixy tube Panasonic that produced 9.999 when you divided 100 by 10. :D

Last edited:

rootboy

Country
United States
Region
Tennessee
I still have mine from the '70's. Although I would be hard pressed to do anything other than multiplication with it. But the kids each have one of their own. :)

Paul

Country
UK
Region
Croydon
One oddity to me was that I had one or two circular slide rules

The round ones are used in Aviation. I'm told you still need to know how to use one for a full pilots licence.

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
sounds less like 'haters' and more like 'elitists'...

toml_12953

Country
USA
Region
Franklin County NY
Some people are going to hate you no matter what you say. It's our hobby!
We ain't got no justification. We don't need no justification. I don't have to show you any stinkin' justification!
I had a TI solar calculator that gave an error if you tried to take the square root of -0.

TomCorbett

Country
USA
Region
Florida
Just to show my ignorance, I did not even know thatg Amiga made a tower. My main introduction to Amiga was through my A500 bout back in the late 80's when Amiga was new. Wow the graphics, game play and sound were awesome. I got my A2000 much later, buying from EBay, though that was the cat's meow. I wouldn't mind getting one of those tower versions if I could afford it. Do they have more versatility than an A2000?

grasshopper65

Country
United States
Region
IA
such haters or snobs or whatever term that might fit ... seems rather common in many hobbies/interests

I guess some people just have to look down their noses at others they deem unworthy to be among their group ... it's ridiculous imho ... whatever enjoyment you get from reliving the classic days of home computing or finding old equipment to revitalize or customize/modify as you see fit .. go for it :)

Last edited:

James_s

Country
USA
Region
WA
I've run into people like that in all of my hobbies, all you can really do is ignore them.

paul1981

Country
England
Region
Midlands
Don't justify your actions to any one yet alone some spanner on the internet, spend your money how you see fit and make yourself happy. People I know can't believe how much I spent on a 25 year old 060 for my A4000 but they don't judge me for it they just see it makes me happy. As long as it's not hurting anyone else, do what ever you please to make yourself happy :)

Yet people spend £25,000 on a car and don't even bat an eyelid, despite it being a bag of rust 15 years down the line, and basically worthless regarding monetary value. Everyone should spend their money how they see fit. It is no one else's business.

ElAhrairah

Country
Netherlands
Region
Utrecht
I always answer snob behaviour with a smile. Sometimes it helps. When it doesn't help ignoring is the next best thing ��

StanMoonie

Country
United States
Region
NorthEast
I had a problem with a well known Java board that when I asked a question, I got several answers that were just B.S. and they turned off the posting for the question. People just need to lighten up a little if they think the question is stupid then don't post a reply that is all life is too short.

Top Bottom