So whats next ?

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
After talking to RJ Mical for some time in the last few weeks. We agreed that the Amiga was a huge leap forward from the 8bit computers of the time. Not just in hardware but in the way the software worked and the OS. Now the days are gone of large jaw dropping upgrades...never again will we see upgrades from black and white or soundless systems to a machine like the Amiga or playstation or voodoo based PC.

there can't be many green screen PCs about now?

The change from 32bit to 64bit went unnoticed by most people.

but what is the next big leap ?

RJ seems to think the web of everything is next - total online reliance of your system. Cloud based graphic streaming etc..

whats your opinions?

To be honest i don't keep upto date on new tech as much as i used to...

mike.

Last edited:

Bastich

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Staffordshire
I agree 100%. It's only been minor incremental improvements for a while now. Game streaming is interesting but network infrastructure is really not up to it ATM. Plus it will really not add anything other than lag and very minor power savings.

User2921

Deactivated
Deactivated
Occulus Rift seems pretty neat to me. Perhaps a more immersive experience is the next big thing.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Wearable tech is still a big talking point again at the moment. Originally mentioned a long time ago as technology of the future, with Tomorrow's World predicting we would have technology sown into our clothes and wearing it by now, we have the technology to do it, but people have been struggling with ideas on what to use it for.

Look at watches. Only now with Android and Apple watches paired with a smartphone are we starting to see some headway in that idea. And likewise with exercise monitoring devices, only now are see seeing really useful wristbands which monitor a range of different body statistics (Tri-Corder like).

One key element has to be present though, the smartphone. The advent of fast mobile phones with a wide range of wireless connectivity and processing abilities is what has made it all possible. The smartphone is the central computer of everything mobile and connected, and I can't see that changing any time soon.

One area they really didn't consider is the legality of ideas and the privacy and personal rights of the general public. Google Glass being the most prominent one because of the ability to take phones and video of what you are looking at, without those around you knowing. The glasses are said to not be gone though, just in further development, although it was strange they were pulled from sale just before commercial launch (being sold in beta form).

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
who's laughing at Michael Knight now when he gets a video call on his watch from Kitt :)

joking aside the Mrs got one of those FitBit wrist devices,

it measures her heart rate, steps + many other things, it also doubles as a watch, an alarm and it displays who is calling her, handy if your phone is in your bag or on the fireplace :)

it even measures how restless her sleep is , how many time she woke up,,, its quite alarming on how much data it collects from just being strapped to your wrist.

wearable tech is the next thing, when its small enough will probably be built into most items of clothing, glasses , watches etc.

edd_jedi

Country
United Kingdom
Region
London
Agreed, streaming just doesn't have the bandwidth yet and won't have for the foreseeable future. When you're talking GB per second through USB 3.0/thunderbolt etc, it's going to be years if not decades until networks catch up to that speed. Coverage is also an issue, I am still often in places with no wifi/4G (basements, trains, lifts, even houses) so again nobody is going to rely on streaming for everyday use until it has near 100% coverage (somehow!)

Video is the main area things have changed recently with the advent of 4k/5k and retina screens. Soon all monitors and laptops will need to be high-res. So I think graphics performance is where effort will be concentrated.

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
^^^^ and cheap solid state storage, 10tb SSD, small, energy efficient, lighting fast, ideal for small portable devices is the next step.

all that 5k video has to be stored somewhere and a medium fast enough to cope with multiple stream in a home..

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Hoverboard, self tying shoes? :LOL:

Amiga Forever

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
IF You know someone who can do own motherboard, cpu and GPU to build own computer and if is good enough then put in kickstarter and see how it goes :)

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
They still need to use multiple monitors more for me. I know some racing games use them but fps games would be mad surrounded my monitors, you could just turn your head to look to the side or over your shoulder instead of moving the mouse.

ej2095

Country
UK
Region
Tipton, West Midlands
A lot better Battery Tech would be good to be fair!! Last longer, faster recharge....

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
They still need to use multiple monitors more for me. I know some racing games use them but fps games would be mad surrounded my monitors, you could just turn your head to look to the side or over your shoulder instead of moving the mouse.

It already exists. http://www.simpit.co.nz/

You just need the money to achieve it.

Also with a 3 monitor setup you can create a virtual single screen the total width of all monitors in use. AMDs Eyefinity is probably the best at this, then in game the game just thinks it is running on a single super wide monitor. Obviously you need a top end setup and probably SLI GPUs to get the best framerate and graphical quality, but most cards over £200 at the moment can achieve this on 3 1080P monitors.

Top Bottom