Some considers the AmigaOne X1000?

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
It's not for me, to be honest. For me, the passion is all about the classic Amigas, the machines I drooled over when I was a kid. :)

The newer PPC stuff is all well-and-good, and I'd certainly be keen to play around with it, but for me, it just doesn't hold that same level of interest I have for the classics. :)

Country
Diedorf, Germany
I thought about AROS, but I'm so excited about a new "Amiga".

You are right about the "machines", that never will come back, but maybe a "modern" Amiga-feeling... :roll:

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
For the Amiga part, I point to Andy his feelings, it covers mine quite well.

I spend a lot of time with the C=64 to, and it's like the first girl, you'll never forget her.

Phipscube

WipEout Fanboi
Country
Denmark
Region
Ringsted
I got back into the Amiga scene several months ago after hearing about the X1000 on a mainstream website. Initially it spurred great interest and prompted me to get my old A1200 out and dusted off. But since then i've become more interested in the classics again. I'm with AndyLandy in that the passion is with the classics. I remember being in awe when I got my A1200, it was the best experience in computing I ever had, even after all the years, when I fired it up again, all that good feeling came back. So I thank X1000 for making me realise what I was missing out on all these years.

Now that I've seen the X1000 and the possible price I wonder what A-EON and Hyperion are aiming for? They really are not going to sell many X1000 even in this small Amiga community, so I wonder if they have a plan to bring out a smaller,cheaper X Amiga at some point? If they are going to try and mimick Commodore, then in a few years we may see an X500, A cheaper more "mass marketable" device with say Amiga OS 5 as standard and a few tweaks to make the hardware sit in a smaller Desktop case (or better still a flaming laptop! Hands up who wants an Amiga Laptop!?!).

When A-EON say "were back" then surely they don't mean off the back of a computer system that is going to sell only hundreds... surely they have a master plan.... I really do believe there are enough Ex Amiga users out there to start the mass market ball rolling. Everyone I know thats had an Amiga in the past remember it fondly and wish PC's were like them.

Right now i'm enjoying my Classics once again and watch A-EON/Hyperion closely.... and i'm dabbling with AROS on my Aspire one D250 (which is loaded with Ubuntu 10.04 also). I must say its rather good, if a little buggy. I hope it gets better.

In my opinion right now the AROS team have the right idea, low cost low power systems like iMica and dare I say it, X86 hardware.

I have a deep inner wish to see Amiga OS officially ported to PS3.... that would be fun. Shame Sony scrapped "Other OS" though.

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Im excited about it, just not the £1500 quid they want for it :(

I dont know WHY the people that control the hardware (be it Commodore or these guys or whoever) dont give the people what they want :blink: I dont want an expensive new system regardless of what merits it has. Get something out that people will consider buying to just have on the side and work your way onto their "main" computer desk with great apps. Use some common sense and port over OpenOffice so there is a half decent office suite and port over a decent MODERN browser! Are you listening people or has this fallen on deaf ears AGAIN like the last 25 years? [Rant over :D] Put a Yorkshireman in charge.... Ill do it (y) lol

Ive had a few minutes on a SAM and an AmigaOne and I thought OS4 looked great so Id love to have one or the X1000 but the cost is far too high. I like the fact that interesting new software seems to be coming out all the time for it but Im not putting down £600 quid for a SAM or a second hand AmigaOne, its too expensive for a hobby and I am poor!

I love the classics, Ive got all expect the A3000 and the A1000. Theres a real magic about Amigas, I always tell n00bs when they see one in my house or if Im talking about it at work or getting one delivered there that THIS is history, THIS is a real computing milestone and had THIS not been mis-managed I wouldnt be an admin on Windows Server OSs, it'd be AmigaOS Sever Edition! ;)

I do find it hard to spend money on them now though as I think I would use a PPC Amiga (not Phase 5 I mean a proper one like the ones I mentioned above) day to day where as I dont do that with my Classics, I just tinker and play on them in my spare time. Even today I back-tracked on an 060 for my A4000 :( One day when Im loaded Im getting them ALL 060s whether I use them day to day or not! :D

commodorejohn

Shameless recidivist
Country
United States
Region
Minnesota
The newer PPC stuff is all well-and-good, and I'd certainly be keen to play around with it, but for me, it just doesn't hold that same level of interest I have for the classics. :)
This. I'm sure that the X1000 is a nice PowerPC computer and all, but...it's not an Amiga, I'm sorry. It doesn't have any of the hardware that made the Amiga such a cool computer, and while I don't know what the internals of AmigaOS 4 are like, it looks like just another OSX-alike Linux setup. Even the computer itself is just a modern board in a standard black ATX tower case. Again, none of these are necessarily bad, but there's nothing of what made the Amiga special about it. It bears even less resemblance to my A500 than OSX Intel Macs do to the Mac IIcx I grew up with. It's just another milestone in the trend of all computers becoming completely interchangeable. Pass.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
@Tajmaster

To be quite honest, I think the magic is in the custom chips :(

I tried Aros and Morphos, yup ok nice and fast and stable, but where is the modern browser, yup nowhere... (It's 2010 by now)

So I have to agree with you..

And I am afraid that the market dominiation of microsoft will not get broken by any amiga os.. It's simply unbreakable that kind of "other "power.

The only os that has the potential to harm microsoft is linux, because microsoft can't buy it. :p

Tajmaster

Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
@Tajmaster

To be quite honest, I think the magic is in the custom chips :(

I tried Aros and Morphos, yup ok nice and fast and stable, but where is the modern browser, yup nowhere... (It's 2010 by now)

So I have to agree with you..

And I am afraid that the market dominiation of microsoft will not get broken by any amiga os.. It's simply unbreakable that kind of "other "power.

The only os that has the potential to harm microsoft is linux, because microsoft can't buy it. :p

They certainly do hold so much of tha magic :) I think a lot of our affection for the Amiga is the "wow" factor that we saw in our youth, it has a lasting effect on ya dont ya think :)

I dont have a problem with Microsoft. I know this type of forum isnt the best place to say this sort of thing but I really cant stand MS haters, the sort who wont buy an Xbox cos they made it. Too bad, they miss out on a great games machine. Google, wifi sniffers that they are, and Apple, Mr "deal with it" Jobs and his great "my way or the highway" attitude are not my kinda people. MS are a-holes to other business' but they never snooped in my stuff so they can hose business' all they like.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
The wow factor of Amiga is unbreakable, a bit like the A-Team image you use. It's like a burned in image in my brain. Even if I was a kid back then..

I do have a problem with Microsoft, but I need the tools and need to use it from time to time. I have no problems because it comes from them, but I like diversity and free market and when a company like microsoft has to much power it's not an ideal situation, there is not enough competition

If it would have been commodore with so much power I would have felt the same.

ps: I have an xbox to.

TheoryBoy

AmiBayer
Country
Ireland
Region
Cork
I am not the one bit interested in the X1000 at that price. They should have had two models. An entry model at approx £300 to establish platform, community etc and a pro version as they have listed.

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
this overpriced thing is no amiga... for that kind of money you can get an i7 with the latest gpu and all the goodies you would ever wish (for now lol) and you could actually run nice software/games/apps on it...
whereas in the X1000 situation you would get a beta-tester machine with zero-to-none software or abillity to use it normally...

Tajmaster

Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
The wow factor of Amiga is unbreakable, a bit like the A-Team image you use. It's like a burned in image in my brain. Even if I was a kid back then..

I do have a problem with Microsoft, but I need the tools and need to use it from time to time. I have no problems because it comes from them, but I like diversity and free market and when a company like microsoft has to much power it's not an ideal situation, there is not enough competition

If it would have been commodore with so much power I would have felt the same.

ps: I have an xbox to.

Hehe The A Team RULE (y)(y)(y)

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
We had a similar talk over at our native forum, just like every Amiga forum around. Usually these talks end up in flames etc. Because you have two camps, the ones in favour of the NG no-matter-what, and those of the Classic-army. :D
Well, actually, there's a few 'minority" armies in-between, but anyway...
It actually comes down to what does the word Amiga mean to each of us.
Fact is, that no matter how much effort today's companies put in the package, it will never have the feeling the ol' ladies gave us back then.
Let me be a bit more clear: You will not get the excitement of unboxing it first off! Even the boxes were (and still are) art items in some cases. Some people would pay a great deal of money for Amiga packing items. You will not be facing the same peripheral quality like in the old days. Not the custom-designed mice, keyboards, not the accompanying documentation quality, the various cables and diskettes etc. And certainly, no investment in the machine's looks. If having a front-cover custom-made for a humongous ATX tower is considered a design factor, they scored low for me. If customizing cheapo pc-keyboards with stickers for an Amiga feeling is the idea, i won't take it. If the case is a monster with 8x 3.5" drive bays and 3x5,25" ones, i wonder what is the philosophy behind that. Would anyone say that big is beautifull today? I doubt it. Additionally, since (supposedly) the Amiga's practice was to be low on system resources, why the 8 drive bays? We've come too far. SAM is now considered the "entry-level" machine, but nowhere near budget-cutting like the then entry-level A500.
The company themselves said they would launch the X1000 at a price near the A1000's launch price. Even by today's factors, it's way high.
Ok, these are hobby items, that's true. But they're not strategically thought of. You can't attract more Amigans like that. Reading that they spent around E 200k for R&D on the X1000, i'd preffer they spent maybe far less and do the port to x86 now that the legal matters are over. After all, they do have the right to develop the 4.X for any platform they want to.
And if hardware is what they wanna sell, they should spend a little more time over the drawing boards to design an appropriate sibbling that will retain something of that old school looks. Being a x86 inside won't hurt; Mac users don't seem to complaint nowadays after 5 years from the "jump-over" to Intel. And they still pay a bit more than regular pc users...
Oh well, this is all just personal thoughts folks, don't take them for granted. :) No trolling meant by any means. :)

Lugosi

Country
Germany
Region
Düsseldorf, NRW
<snip>Reading that they spent around E 200k for R&D on the X1000, i'd preffer they spent maybe far less and do the port to x86 now that the legal matters are over. After all, they do have the right to develop the 4.X for any platform they want to.</snip>

As far as I remember it was said that an x86-port is out of the question, because then people would just have Windows and AmigaOS in a dual-boot setup, and no software would be ported or newly written for the latter (because there's already everything for Windows, so there's no need).

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Well, isn't that a cheap excuse? I mean, even if the users had a dual-boot system, what would the company really fear of? How come Apple isn't frightened of Mac users having Bootcamp and using both OS's? Ok, this is no Apple, but heck, what would stop them from developing sw. Most everyone has a pc nowadays, even if not hosted under the same machine, a user can always turn to their Windows computer at anytime. That's nonsense if they said so..

Lugosi

Country
Germany
Region
Düsseldorf, NRW
I found where I read it.

Quote:
"In essence, the temptation for x86 users to have Windows installed in parallel to a native Amiga OS x86 will be irresistible and we will be seeing «dual boot» systems as we saw on Beos and now Linux x86. Both Beos and Linux serve as a stern warning about what happens if you try to compete with Windows on the same hardware: you become relegated to a Windows add-on product without any native software to speak of."

and another quote:
"What good is cheap hardware when you have no software to run on your native x86 OS and you are forced to boot into Windows all the time? How long would it take before the development of such an OS would fall by the wayside because of low sales, which is exactly what happened to Beos?"

Top Bottom