Sony playstation 1 ntsc

ulkealan

Country
turkey
Region
Marmara
Hi,

I am buying a ntsc playstation 1, one of the first version, SCPH 1001

Unlike ntsc PS3s, it does not have a hdmi output, so does it work on PAL ?

and also it is for 110V, how does it work on 220V ? The ps3s, even they write 110V on the box, all have a multi voltage psu, so works everywhere, how about the ps1s?

Thanks,
Tolga

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
It will work using the RF/AV cable if your TV supports NTSC (if not you'll probably get a black and white picture) otherwise you will need to use an RGB scart cable for colour.

As for the 110v, i believe it will be 110v only so to use it on 220v you will need to either use a stepdown transformer or open the playstation up and swap the internal psu for a 220v one from a european console.

Is there a specific reason for buying the US console? Couldn't you find a PAL model locally and then fit a modchip (they're very easy to obtain and fit) and then it will play games from all regions.

Last edited:

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
Is there a specific reason for buying the US console? Couldn't you find a PAL model locally and then fit a modchip (they're very easy to obtain and fit) and then it will play games from all regions.
My PS is chipped but I was wondering, does it play Jap/US games at 60hz or 50hz? and is there a way to force pal games to 60hz?

ulkealan

Country
turkey
Region
Marmara
@scrappysphinx
thanks....
I found a brand new / unused / sealed one, thats why I wanna buy it. If my TV does not support ntsc, because I am not sure, can I get a color picture with a rgb to scart cable even with a ntsc ps1 ?

To open the console and replace with a european psu, is one of the way, but I think I am not going to break the seal if there is any, I will use a stepdown transformer....

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
@Acid, on the PS1 the 50/60hz is done in software by the game as far as i'm aware (some games offer you a selection of 50/60hz)
I've never had a game that seemed slow and all seem to play in full screen from what i remember.

@ulkealan, an rgb scart should provide a colour picture for both PAL and NTSC consoles

slk486

Asking the questions because I DON'T KNOW
VIP
Country
Denmark
Region
Sealand
All the PAL games I've tried in my NTSC PS2 run in 60hz, however playing US/JP games in my PAL PS1 also runs them in 60hz. Go figure :D

The only way to get the accurate 59.94hz on a PS1 game is with an NTSC PS1 or PS2. A chipped PAL machine is slightly off (59.4), which can make the difference between stuttering and non-stuttering if you're using a scaler. A CRT won't care.

Last edited:

ulkealan

Country
turkey
Region
Marmara
Thank you all :)
I am curious about the voltage and video output system rather than modding or playing games. To be honest, I want to keep it as new rather than playing with it :)

So as you all say, NTSC is working with rgb to scart on PAL systems, but what about the voltage ? Does anybody know about that, because if it does not have a dual voltage PSU like all PS3s, it will fry when I just plug in before any playing game attempt :)

Thanks

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
I'm 99% sure the voltage will be 110v only. You will need to use a stepdown transformer.

ulkealan

Country
turkey
Region
Marmara
Thanks to all again :)

I am also pretty sure that the PSU inside is NOT a multi voltage :(

So cancelled the purchase

please mods close this thread as it has been solved :)

Top Bottom