Sony universal controller

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Sony is full of patents to earn more money (by force of course).(n)

Take an example the MS, MS DUO, M2. There are numerous examples of course.

I'm surprised that they don't come up yet with a different USB-patent to use in their systems. LOL.

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
Sony is full of patents to earn more money (by force of course).(n)

Take an example the MS, MS DUO, M2. There are numerous examples of course.

I'm surprised that they don't come up yet with a different USB-patent to use in their systems. LOL.

Their cameras now uses SD (and upper marked DSLRs, CF memory) in addition to MS.

Another example - The PS3 uses standard 2,5" drives that are user exchangeable, bluetooth for wireless communication with units and the now high def standard blu-ray. The competition however uses propertarian hard drives and non-standard wireless to the controllers.

So, whats the problem? They are innovators, and of course want to capitalize on that. They do well at some times - other products fail or get a short lifespan. Most of their products that are somewhat disliked was often created before more popular products, but failed to gain major marked share. Like MemoryStick, MiniDisc, Betamax etc.

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
....and UMD!!! :)

From what I've heard around the circles (electronic shops), Sony isn't doing well these days. As an example, while Samsung and LG have a rich catalog regarding TV sets (LCD, Plasma, LED), Sony has only a few (compare to other years of course). Sony isn't doing well, and PS3 haven't reach the point where Sony wanted to reach. That's true.

In my opinion, PlayStations have "hold" Sony into the market these years.

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu
I Agree Antonis

I think If it wasn't for the Playstation range & Sony's involvement in Hollywood film studios they would have long bit the dust.
Some say that the motivation to move into Hollywood was to ensure they would have support for new formats & minimise risks such as the loss due to Betamax as VHS had better support from the studios back then.
It paid off Blu-ray has won this time.

I think lots of these name brands have now lost their identity & connection from the products that initially grew them and are struggling for new avenues to explore.
Take for example, I've always bought Panasonic TV's over the years mainly due to having worked for them as a Design Engineer in the late 80's to mid 90's. but also that they were manufactured 3 miles from my home.
There was a sense of pride with the sets being built in South Wales.

SONY also manufactured TV's for many years in Bridgend, about 15 miles from my home.

This time around, when I brought my LCD screen I chose LG simply as it had the spec I needed & a good price, the Panasonics & Sony's were all made in Czech or poland same as the LG so to me there wasn't much difference.

TC :)

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Speaking of Sony, read this awful news:

A strange calendar-based error afflicting older PlayStation 3 consoles has meant that owners worldwide are hesitant to turn on their gaming machines until Sony assures them that a fix is available.

The problem, which is afflicting original "fat" shape consoles, is encountered when the machine attempts to change the date from February 28, 2010, to March 1, 2010.

Instead, the calendar reverts to December 31, 1999, and prevents users from logging on to Sony's online service, the PlayStation Network.

Records of in-game achievements, called Trophies, are also rendered vulnerable by the error. Many users have reported that trophy data stored on their PlayStation 3s has been corrupted as a result of the clock error.

Intriguingly enough, although the predicament is tormenting the "fat" PlayStation 3 console - even development kits sent out to game studios have been struck down - the newer "slim" PlayStation 3 that has been available since September 1, 2009, remains unaffected.

Though the 8001050F error code given by the older model implies that there is a problem connecting to the PlayStation Network, the fact that users of the slim PlayStation 3 are unhindered in their online exploits indicates that the fault is internal.

Many games incorporate a network check into their startup routine and so those titles will be unplayable until the error is rectified.

Between the PlayStation 3's 2006 launch and the September 2009 production of the slimmer model, at least 35 million consoles had been sold.

Sony has released a statement to assure those owners that they are working on a fix for the bug. Though the cause remains unknown, cognizant PS3 users are keeping their machines powered off and disconnected from the internet until a solution has been found.

The calamity could not have been worse, threatening to negate the critical and commercial success surrounding the launch of PS3-exclusive game Heavy Rain, released February 23-24.

:blink::wooha:

Source Link: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...nters-crippling-calendar-problem-1914090.html

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
If it wasn't for the PS3, Sony would Suck Big Time!

/....Kin thinks for 50ns....

Naaa. ....Despite the PS3, Sony do suck! :coffee:

Kin

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Friend told me about another friend of mine that he has had this problem but got the alert from Sony after this bug had took an effect on his machine. He lost all his achievements (or trophies or whatever they are called) some downloaded games and all sorts of other odd things.

Have to say that Sony seems to have taken a nosedive recently though I still rate them higher then Nintendo's Wii, primarily because a Wii isn't a proper games console really so couldn't be compared to such things.

Xbox 360 is the best console this generation I think despite it's reliability issues. Mind you I got an early machine (2006) and it hasn't ever set a foot wrong! :eek:
They say that the problems have been mostly sorted in the Jasper revisions, I don't know how true this is mind.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Friend told me about another friend of mine that he has had this problem but got the alert from Sony after this bug had took an effect on his machine. He lost all his achievements (or trophies or whatever they are called) some downloaded games and all sorts of other odd things.

Have to say that Sony seems to have taken a nosedive recently though I still rate them higher then Nintendo's Wii, primarily because a Wii isn't a proper games console really so couldn't be compared to such things.

Xbox 360 is the best console this generation I think despite it's reliability issues. Mind you I got an early machine (2006) and it hasn't ever set a foot wrong! :eek:
They say that the problems have been mostly sorted in the Jasper revisions, I don't know how true this is mind.

PS3 Netwoking did have a Bug, but apparently, it is now fixed.

RE: an X-Box 360 over a PS3:

The PS3 rocks. X-Box is colour washed out, meaning it can play @ a decent FPS, but the colour choice isn't really a full palette as the PS3 is. Take a look @ Call of Duty 4 on X-Box & then look at the colour on the Pee Cee. It's a proper fudge. So far as the WII goes, it's good at what it does but graphically & Processor power-wise, it's sh!!!!!te. :roll:

Despite Sony sucking, I'd still have a PS3 over X-Box any day. :nod:

Kin

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
non-standard wireless to the controllers
Sorry to nit-pick, but the Wii also uses bluetooth ;)

Hmm, are you sure?? I read its infra-red somewhere.

@ thread

I second TokyoRacer, the 360 is the pick of the bunch for me. Me and my brothers have them all and we all keep going back to the 360.

Im just a bit peeved that MS wont update the codecs so it supports MKV files, DivX v3 and 4 and MPEG4 files with more than 2 sound channels (n) Its not like its bloody impossible. I now find myself looking for another media player. I keep trying to get away from yet another box under the tele but alas no company can make something that just plays everything without the added f**k about :mad::mad::mad: The controllers dpad sucks ass big time though, I cant play SF4 with it :(

As for reliability, I have to say in my experience I have not personally had any issues at all. The only person I know of is a chap in our "clan" who had to replace the box shortly after getting it for some bizzare loading issue he had with Vegas 2. Ive got a falcon board which is the one before jasper but its been rock solid so far.

Oh, and yes, Sony suck! I cant stand them since the PS2 vs DC battle. DC RULEZ!(y)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
The day Sony & Microsoft will make something that don't suck will be the day they make a vacuum cleaner!

Muzer

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Hampshire
non-standard wireless to the controllers
Sorry to nit-pick, but the Wii also uses bluetooth ;)

Hmm, are you sure?? I read its infra-red somewhere.

@ thread

I second TokyoRacer, the 360 is the pick of the bunch for me. Me and my brothers have them all and we all keep going back to the 360.

Im just a bit peeved that MS wont update the codecs so it supports MKV files, DivX v3 and 4 and MPEG4 files with more than 2 sound channels (n) Its not like its bloody impossible. I now find myself looking for another media player. I keep trying to get away from yet another box under the tele but alas no company can make something that just plays everything without the added f**k about :mad::mad::mad: The controllers dpad sucks ass big time though, I cant play SF4 with it :(

As for reliability, I have to say in my experience I have not personally had any issues at all. The only person I know of is a chap in our "clan" who had to replace the box shortly after getting it for some bizzare loading issue he had with Vegas 2. Ive got a falcon board which is the one before jasper but its been rock solid so far.

Oh, and yes, Sony suck! I cant stand them since the PS2 vs DC battle. DC RULEZ!(y)
Infrared is emitted from either side of the sensor bar (the name sensor bar is a misnomer - it does no sensing, it can be replaced by a couple of candles if you like), which is recieved by the window at the front of the Wiimote, which then figures out its position from that. This is how the pointer works. For the actual transmitting and receiving of data to and from the Wiimote, bluetooth is used.

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk

Yeah don't get me wrong i'm not backing up M$ what-so-ever and although I rate the 360 higher then a PlayStation, I have to admire the PS3's hardware and graphical performance. Truely stunning, will one day get one but i'd much rather hold out for a nice used 60GB 'chromed' model.

Things I don't like about my 360 is few and far between. Theres the looks and lets be honest, it looks like someones got a slab of lard and "Tango'd" it. Oh and the fan noise, rather annoying but I soon ignore it even with a ruddy great King Cooler on the back of it (best cooler I know).

Wii is great for a bit of mindless fun and entertainment for the family or a house party but little else in my opinion. I've played it and it's a neat machine but not for me thanks.
I like my games serious and to use as little effort as possible. :LOL: Which is actually a shame as Nintendo missed a trick on the Wii as it could have been great at FPS games.

Only way this mess could be sorted out is if Sega stop making s****y Sonic / Mario crossovers and make a Dreamcast 2.
Like you say Taj, that DC freakin' ruled! Come back into the console market Sega!!! :please:

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Top Bottom