SOS, starting up in dos instead of HD, WHY

DonAmiga

AmiBayer
Country
Scotland
Region
Midlothian
Hi,

I've just started up my A1200, only for it to go straight to AmigaDOS, when it should be going straight to my HD. does anyone know Why and how to change it ?

the only thing I've been doing, yesterday was trying to install WB 3.1 ,but as the disk was not working I wasn't able to complete the installation of 3.1

your help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
Hi,

I've just started up my A1200, only for it to go straight to AmigaDOS, when it should be going staight to my HD. dose anyone know Why and how to change it ?

the only thing I've been doing, yesterday was trying to install WB 3.1 ,but as the disk was not working I wasn't able to complete the installation of 3.1

your help would be much appreciated.

so did 3.1 only partially install?

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
If you're getting an AmigaDOS window with a '1>' prompt, it's most-likely down to having a formatted, bootable hard disk with no S:Startup-sequence file.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
If you're getting an AmigaDOS window with a '1>' prompt, it's most-likely down to having a formatted, bootable hard disk with no S:Startup-sequence file.

So what should I do?

I'd wait for your replacement set of WB3.1 to arrive (hopefully tomorrow as I sent 1st Class)

Then insert the install 3.1 disk, boot from that & install.

Did you back everything up in case you lost/loose any data?

If you haven't formatted and don't format you shouldn't loose anything and I'm gussing your games/etc are on another partition anyway?

Steve.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

So what should I do?

Possibly boot from a Workbench floppy and see if there's anything on the hard disk.

You can try typing 'loadwb' at the 1> prompt, but if you don't have a startup-sequence, you probably don't have much else either.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

DonAmiga

AmiBayer
Country
Scotland
Region
Midlothian

So what should I do?

Possibly boot from a Workbench floppy and see if there's anything on the hard disk.

You can try typing 'loadwb' at the 1> prompt, but if you don't have a startup-sequence, you probably don't have much else either.

Typed 'loadwb' and it loads (WB, Games1, Games2)

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
So what should I do?

In which case it just looks like your startup-sequence is missing. Show all files and have a look in SYS:S/ drawer. You might have a Startup-sequence.old that you can copy as startup-sequence

DonAmiga

AmiBayer
Country
Scotland
Region
Midlothian

In which case it just looks like your startup-sequence is missing. Show all files and have a look in SYS:S/ drawer. You might have a Startup-sequence.old that you can copy as startup-sequence

I do remember it copy files to OLD when I was installing 3.1,

having difficulty trying to find it now.

---------- Post added at 15:24 ---------- Previous post was at 15:17 ----------

I can see the file Old using Multi-view. Just need to copy it over?

DonAmiga

AmiBayer
Country
Scotland
Region
Midlothian

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

DonAmiga

AmiBayer
Country
Scotland
Region
Midlothian
You just need to copy the file, move the copy into the 'S' drawer on your boot disk, rename it to Startup-Sequence and then reboot.

Simple as that.

its the writing out the command under shell?

Why not just run loadwb and use the Workbench? ;-)

When I got this A1200 the hard drive was already set-up, I'm starting to wonder if its correct. The only way I can fine the S drawer is to use multiview, so it not if I can just drag and drop. so I dont know what you want me to do:)

its great that your helping, its just that i'm not sure what I'm meant to do

---------- Post added at 16:00 ---------- Previous post was at 15:50 ----------

Hi, I have changed how to view WB to Name, So I can now see the old file and I have made a copy, which I can drag and drop:) just need to know where?

Top Bottom