AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hey peeps,

Well was having a great Amiga day and then this! :(

I switched on my Desktop A1200 and it won't boot. I've stripped it down to the bare board now (taken off the Blizzard/FastATA, etc) and still nothing, just a black screen - no Rom screen and no floppy/hard disk booting.

What should I be checking guys? Shall I take some high res pics of the board?

I've tried re-seating the Roms by the way, that didn't help.

There were no problems before, I used it yesterday and it was fine.

Cheers!

Steve.

---------- Post added at 21:19 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------

Well I found the problem I've damaged a component on the board, this part is just below the 44pin IDE header on the FastATA and its quite obvious I've damaged it fitting an IDE adapter/cable :Doh:

What is this part? I guess its pretty easy to change if you have the right tools - if you can get a replacement part?

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

Any advice appreciated (y)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
That's the keyboard controller crystal.

It is a 2-pin part hence it need capacitors to filter the output. The capacitors are on the underneath side of the motherboard.

You need a 3MHz part.

hikey

Country
Bristol, UK
Region
avon
The two 22pf loading capacitors are there to provide the phase shift. If you can't find the exact same part number as the broken one you may need to check the datasheet for the one you're installing for the recommended loading capacitor value.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Oh!

I forgot to update this :oops:

Kindly Cosmicfrog sent me the bit I need, its sitting here ready for repair, Prowler over at EAB is going to solder it on for me next time we meet up for a Beer.

In the mean time Jimbo swapped with me some stuff for an A1200 Mobo so I'm up and running, but it'll be nice to have a spare board.

Anyway I like to update these posts, its credit to the community that one can get such great help and assitance (y)

Steve.

cosmicfrog

The 1 That Ribbits
Country
UK
Region
Potteries
yay probably wait longer for the soldering iron warm up than the time to solder it to the board

hope this turn`s in to another success story :)

I`ve just cut through 2 or 3 trace`s on an old pc board I was playing with so cock up`s happen its just knowing the right ppl to help you out of the sh*t

best bit is I know we will have after pics to look at (y)

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
What happened with this, did you ever get it fixed? :huh:

... the suspense is killing me!

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hey AmiNeo!

JuvUK fixed it for the replay show but we didn't use it in the end and I forgot to take it home.

So Juvvy posted it back to me but enroute royal mail gave it a bath :blink:

So now Zetr0 has it!

After drying it out the machine boots if you hold down the little oscilator so I guess that just need repairing again!

Well travelled this Motherboard :cool:

Steve.

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
Hehe, looks like that board has had more adventures than most! It's great that theres so many dedicated and devoted souls about to take the time to keep its health up. If this had been a megadrive board id be willing to bet it'd be in the bin the first time the oscillator bust. :LOL:

Top Bottom