Spending Sunday with a Classic Mac

Brataccas

AmiBayer
Country
Swindon
Region
Wiltshire
Hi,

Just thought i would share with you all how i just spent what i thought would be a quick 5 minutes playing with some kit that i have lying about but turned into a whole afternoon getting a Mac Quadra 700 onto the Amibay Website.

So it all began when i thought `i wonder if my old Quadra 700 has any life in it`? Well it did but the internal hard disk had died and i had no bootable macos floppies at all :( Without any bootable material and the fact that the Quadra`s cannot boot from cd it can be a pain to get something in place. Luckily i had a SMC ethernet adapter and Quadra`s have ethernet built in, just needs an adapter.

After scouting about on the net i managed to get an Apple Network Access disk built within Debian using DD to dump an image of the apple network access disk. Once booted i fired up a spare Apple G3 b&w machine running OSX 10.2 Jaguar Server (glad i kept that machine about) and configured netinfo access to allow AppleTalk connections (enable allow Appletalk in configuration/localtalk and reboot osx). Once that was working it was just a case of connecting from the classic mac to the G3 and then dumping the 19 smi files across to a freshly initialized internal hard disk, then run the installer, install 7.5.3, then update to 7.5.5. After update done run the net wizard and tell macos7 to use OTT rather than mactcp and configure tcp so that i can get out on the internet. After that i grabbed the brilliant Sunrise CD extension, rebooted and fired up some of my Protracker Mods in SoundPlayer (excellent macos audio freeware) sat back and looked on in awe at my sweet little quadra quite happily browsing sites and playing some mods, bliss! Who needs a Quad core, 1.21 giggawatt matrix quantum peecee? This will do me nicely thank you and without any `you must update` or `you need to restart`! 20 years old and still stable as ever!

I was only supposed to just get a disk built to test the machine but i figured what the hell i might as well get it on the net and browsing the Amibay website :)

So anyone else got their Classic macs browsing the forum? Next up i think i`ll dig the SE out of the loft and give that a go in Macos 6 :) Maybe we could have a competition on who can get the oldest machine/os browsing the forum?

Cheers,

Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
Funny, i am toying with Shapeshifter these days.
I have installed System 7 (7.5.5) on my A1200 with 68060 and according to some mac benchmarks it beat a huge amount a Quadra 950.

I browse amiga sites with Netscape 4.08 but it is not as good as IBrowse on the amiga side, and, i don't why but i can't access GMail ("no common encryption protocol").

scole

Banned
Country
Kent, UK
A very interesting post! Always good to see the levels of ingenuity employed to resurrect these old machines!

I'm facing a not dissimilar saga. I've had a soft spot for 68K Macs for a few years but rather rashly offloaded the collection of vintage Macs I'd built up about 12 months ago, I'd run out of room and got sick of the clutter! I regret selling my TAMs and my Performa 630, but such is life. I recently acquired a Performa 460 (aka LCIII+), one of the "pizza box" models and about the top spec 030 Mac and I'm getting the thing pimped and online. Currently there is a pretty ballsed up install of 7.0.something on the 400MB hard drive so I'm pretty eager to get a fresh install of 7.6 on there to start making it more useful. Problem is, I don't have an external SCSI drive to stick my 7.6 CD in (even then, I'm not sure if the 460 can boot from CD?). So, I need floppies. The 7.6 retail floppy pack is not easily available... can't find hide nor hair of it online. So, I need some ingenuity.

What I'm tinkering with now is getting a working install of Mac OS on my Amiga 1200 using Shapeshifter, having the Amiga and Mac both hooked to my LAN and using my Amiga's CD drive to get the 7.6 install floppy disk images that are in a directory on there and transfer them to the Mac via Ethernet. Just waiting on a Linksys WRT54G router that I bought to show up so I can set up a wireless bridge and get these machines (which are in the cellar now, whilst the modem and main router is still in the loft) talking to each other. Issues I'm facing so far mainly revolve around Shapeshifter being a bit of a pig and not being easy to get a system installed to.

The other option I have in mind is to get the 7.6 floppy images off the CD and onto my Amiga using Shapeshifter, then splitting the images in half (there are 19 1.2MB .dmg files) so I can fit them on 720K formatted disks (which is all that Shapeshifter can deal with), so I'd end up have 38 floppy disks... Pffft.

The things we do!

Long term plans for the Mac are gaming and web and just general pottering. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for an accelerator for it, and am putting serious thought to getting a SCSI-IDE converter, and then a IDE-CF adapter and having a solid state hard drive, like in my Amiga. Getting shut of the original HDD would also make room for me to fit a slimline IDE CD drive in too. Happy days!

S

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
About 2 months ago I got in an Original Macintosh that had been upgraded to 1 Meg and a Scsi kit put in it (a MICAH Drive AT) and a 40 meg external drive (I believe the "post here thread has pictures) and carry bag. Unfortunately, it had not been turned on in about 15 years. It ran fine for 8 hours straight (doing my 'Burn in" test) then the internal fan started to slow down and speed up. I believe it is the Power supply board (probably a cap needs to be replaced) but I haven't had the time, tools, or real gumshoe to tear it apart and track down the problem.

Brataccas

AmiBayer
Country
Swindon
Region
Wiltshire
@ Stevecole. Thanks :) It`s a bit like problem solving on the Miggy, you always have to think outside the box and having some spare bits is always handy!

Other ways i have dealt with this in the past is by using HFVExplorer and Basilisk II within Windows XP. Using my Amiga and an A-Max card and also using another ROM based Mac emulation card (which i can`t remember the name of). I always had nightmares with Shapeshifter and gave up with it a long time ago. Actually a long time ago i had connected a 50pin scsi drive via a regular adaptec scsi-1 controller and then mounted the disk within BasiliskII. This was the only way that i could `bless` the drive properly so it would boot, regardless of having the system folder in place. Apart from doing it via Appleshare/network today i think the easiest method is to just plug the drive in an older PC and use an emulator like Basilisk II to prep it ready before plugging back into a real mac.

It`s not a problem with all NewWorld rom based macs but why on earth apple did not release 7.6 out into the public for free i`ll never know, for me 7.5.3 is fine for what i need. At the moment i`m running MacHTTP on it and it`s acting as a small intranet for my Kids to link video to from a NAS. At least it`s doing something :)

@ QuarkX - What an original Macintosh 128k? If it is, i`ve been trying to hunt one down for a bit, shame it`s playing up. PSU caps are apparently a common issue with any `compact` mac.

Cheers,

DonAmiga

AmiBayer
Country
Scotland
Region
Midlothian
Hi

I have no experience with mac's apart from a couple of lessons at school, which was so long ago I don't no anything. But 2 weeks ago I saw in my local advertiser a imac G3 for £20 which I bought. Its running OS 9, connects to the internet and I've been amazed at the amount of free abandon-ware there is out there from apps to games, its also been fun learning how to use it. So a week later the same advertiser there was a PowerMac g4 quicksilver for £50! I thought what the heck, so I now have 2 mac's and enjoying the new experience
(y)

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
@ QuarkX - What an original Macintosh 128k? If it is, i`ve been trying to hunt one down for a bit, shame it`s playing up. PSU caps are apparently a common issue with any `compact` mac.

Cheers,

Yep, one of the "original" originals. Just says "Macintosh" on the back (not Macintosh 512K), model M0001. The "add-on" Scsi, came out the battery port on the back, so if it still has a battery inside, it could have leaked out all over the place. Cosmetically, its not that yellowed. Looks good on the kitchen table, too bad it won't boot anymore (n)
A look on e-bay saw that it was cheaper (by a third) to buy another one than just the power supply.

Top Bottom