Spraying Plastics

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham
Hi Guys, i'm looking to spray paint one of my miggys and possibly an Xbox console.
Can anyone recommend the sort of paint i need and where to get it from and possibly a good guide/tutorial for succesfull spraying. I know a few of you have done such things before. I tried an Xbox once before with some Plastikote spray and it just bubbled up and looked a mess. I'm not sure if that was my spraying, the wrong type of paint or just that i'd not followed the right procedure.
Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
Re: Spraying Plastics

i tend to spray mine in a booth at work and then bake them in the car oven, if you want to send me the plastics and the colour i could do them for you if you like?

cheers, JuvUK

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham

thanks for the offer juvvy but i'd love to have another go myself, just so i can eventually say i've done some modding lol. I'm not worried about making a mess of it as i have a number of spare yellowed A1200 cases and 2 spare xbox cases.
Thats why i was asking on type of paints and any techniques i should be following.

Mike

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

I'm no technical Boff on Platsic Spraying but I do know certain plastics need etching/treating/priming of some fashion before applying the paint. I have seen paint bubble & peel off for just putting straight on. Perhaps Merlin might be able to offer more help with his Chemistry background?

Kin

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

*ahem

from an experienced spayer of plastics and metals... (Never use Plastikote its the worst kind of crap!)

nothing beats the following (in order)
  • (place ALL parts in) Dishwasher or economic 50c wash
    if not a hot soapy bowl of water... and have at it. remeber to RINSE well[/*:m:16wefxuf]
  • (Allow to dry over 2 hours in a n airing cupbard)
    this is important, we have opened the plastic up and we need to dry every nook and cranny[/*:m:16wefxuf]
  • Apply 3-5 Very light coats of Acrylic primer over a course of 3 hours
    the trick is not to try and get every nook and cranny on every coat, just relax and it will come...[/*:m:16wefxuf]
  • now... if need be get a pernamet marker, and mark all the areas that require attention l
    things ike nicks / cracks and rough edges etc, once marked smooth them our, using a combination of 100 imperial grit paper and 800-1000 wet'n'dry for finalizing it...[/*:m:16wefxuf]
  • wash again in dish washer[/*:m:16wefxuf]
  • Allow to air dry for a couple of hours[/*:m:16wefxuf]
  • Apply final 2 coats of primer over an hour and a half allow atleast 30 mintes standing time between coats[/*:m:16wefxuf]
  • Leave for 24 hours... take your time... its worth it.[/*:m:16wefxuf]
  • Apply 3-5 LIGHT coats of the finishing colour over the next day, important to leave a good 45mins-hour between coats.[/*:m:16wefxuf]
  • The NEXT day apply 2 last coats of matt varnish or armourall [/*:m:16wefxuf]

now there are some techniques I will mention that are often overlooked...
  • 1. Shake the Can well....
    dont just think 5 minutes... actually count to 300 in you head...[/*:m:16wefxuf]
  • 2. Read the labels some state they wont mix well with others...
    check the chemical bases, they must be identical or cooking (bubbling) is likely to occur[/*:m:16wefxuf]
  • 3. spay ateast 18 inches away from the item.
    its about half and arms length away... stop every 5 second burst to wipe the nozzle... you dont want drips flying onto you components.[/*:m:16wefxuf]
  • 4. 4 light coats might take an extra 40 imnutes but wont run or drip...
    If you do a heavey two coats, it will run and or drip, you will have to stop... allow to dry (for atleast 3 - 6 hours) and then sand the area... clean, and re-apply.. best to take time than to rush it and endup taking more time.[/*:m:16wefxuf]
  • 5. Its all about the Undercoat....
    this is the most important part of the job... if you dont spend the time to get this right... the rest will end up abominable... it will either not set correctly and the final coats will likely flake or tear[/*:m:16wefxuf]
  • 6. Take your time with the spraying...
    this is the finnish.... if you will your chance to shine... the longer you take I promise the better the results will be.[/*:m:16wefxuf]

hope that lot helps in some way.

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce

(y) @ Z!

Methinks this thread should be made "Sticky" for future generations :)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Sound's like a Plan to me! (y)

Kin

Top Bottom