Squirrel scsi install disk

joebloggs71

Country
Britain
Region
Plymouth
Im trying to install my squirrel pcmcia scsi device.i load up the floppy and after some loading time it comes up disk is write protected.why is my amiga 1200 coming up with this message?

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
IIRC you need to boot from your hard drive and then insert your floppy and run the install script from it.

Dave G :cool:

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
Im trying to install my squirrel pcmcia scsi device.i load up the floppy and after some loading time it comes up disk is write protected.why is my amiga 1200 coming up with this message?

Remove the write-protect - the software has to write to a file on the floppy disk in order to proceed with the installation.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Davideo is right. The squirrel software attempts to install to SYS: (The boot partition) boot off your HD and run it again.

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Alot of floppy software does this if there is an option to install to the Hard Disk, you got nothing to worry about mate. :)

joebloggs71

Country
Britain
Region
Plymouth
I turned the write protect off,it started writing,now it says disk is full.so probably now my install disk is ruined probably.first i couldnt get my cf to pcmcia card to work,now this.had enough.how the hell am i supposed to mount this cd fom drive?

tokyoracer

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
I turned the write protect off,it started writing,now it says disk is full.so probably now my install disk is ruined probably.first i couldnt get my cf to pcmcia card to work,now this.had enough.how the hell am i supposed to mount this cd fom drive?
Ok, ok don't be too hasty, i'm pretty sure your disk isn't ruined.
Tell us exactly what happend and what you did step by step and we'll see what can be sorted. Failing that, i'd be pretty sure theres an ADF of the disk on AmiNet or somewhere.

joebloggs71

Country
Britain
Region
Plymouth
I booted workbench from my hard drive.i then inserted the squirrel install disk.clicked on squirrel scsi install and selected novice user(all actions automated) then selected squirrel scsi software to hard disk.it then says extracting morsels and says copying installer and says volume squirrel is write protected.pull the tab down,insert disk again then says volume squirrel is full.ive got diropus on my hard drive if this might help.

tokyoracer

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
You might need to do it via Intermediate or Expert as (like Workbench) it's default may be to write on the disk but if you dump the files on the "Ram Disk" directory then it should be fine.

joebloggs71

Country
Britain
Region
Plymouth
Installed the squirrel drivers using ram disk.rebooted and now my hard drive wont complete its boot sequence.thats it i'll leave it all for the bin men 2moro.too much hassle!

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
It's never too much hassle with an Amiga. Just a learning curve that you need to continue with :oops:

Pm on the way shortly.

Dave G :cool:

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Installed the squirrel drivers using ram disk.rebooted and now my hard drive wont complete its boot sequence.thats it i'll leave it all for the bin men 2moro.too much hassle!

Nooo! Take deep breaths, have a cuppa and kick back for a little while.

If you've buggered up your squirrel disk (which I doubt) I'll happily email you an ADF of mine, or even write you a new floppy.

In my experience of Amiga installer, the correct option is "Intermediate" every single time. Novice only works if your system is exactly how their setup system was. Expert asks you to confirm every single sodding file!

You'll get there, and we're all here to support ya. Best of luck matey!

(y)

tokyoracer

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
You'll get there, and we're all here to support ya. Best of luck matey!

(y)
What a community. . . *sniff*

Seriously though i'm still a n00b with alot of this but if you run out of temper then leave it, walk away and just chill, come back to it later. Otherwise you will do something you'll regret like my poor Airfix models. :(

Amiga's are like my fiancée (well they are really to be honest) and need plenty of attention, love and patience. Keep working on it and you will be rewarded I assure you. :)

And I hope she doesn't see this... :ninja:

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
You should see my A2000 and A4000 projects. If ever there was a hair-tearing exercise, it's trying to persuade those little b*stards to work correctly. But I will get there... Eventually. It'll just take a bit of time. :)

Ah well, at least my A1200 works.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

Now, two steps back to fix the problems:

First: Squirrel software was trying to install itself back on the floppy(!) when you clicked on novice install...:Doh:

But don't worry, just the disk filled up but original files are still there.

Second issue: the Squirrel software is a jealous one. It simply doesn't like any other PCMCIA software messing with its "propriety". Also it crashes the machine if no hardware part is not hooked in.

So how to fix the problem?

First, click on both mouse buttons at the boot time (right after you hit the power button).

On the Early Startup Control screen, click in "boot without startup-sequence".

Now you'll in an Amiga DOS screen, where you need to make a few commands in order to boot again in Workbench.

First, type "prompt" and hit the enter key.

Now type SYS: (don't forget the two dots!), then type "devs", enter, "dosdrivers", enter.

Type "dir" or "list" to see if the :censored: squirrel drive is there. If so, delete it! Simply type "delete name_of_squirrel_drive" and enter.

Now you can reboot the Amiga again.

Let it boot from the HD normally and put the Squirrel floppy in the drive, double click on it and right click somewhere in the screen (doesn't matter where) and on Workbench menu select "Window > Show > ALL files".

Locate the disk's DEVS drawer, double click on it, double click on the DOSDrivers drawer and click on the squireel drive once. With the icon clicked move it out of the window and "drop it" in an unused place of Workbench screen.

Close the squirrel window.

Now do the same for the system partition: open it, double click on STORAGE drawer, then in the DOSDRIVERS one. Click again in the squirrel icon and drag & drop it the STORAGE/DOSDrivers drawer.

To mount the squirrel (with the hardware attached to the Amiga), open the Storage/DOSdrivers again and double-click in the icon.

If the machine freezes again, chances are the hardware is not working.

tokyoracer

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
^ ^ ^
|_|_|_ Top advice, only a fool would avoid it. :)

Is there a way to save particular posts for future personal reference (without copying and pasting)?

joebloggs71

Country
Britain
Region
Plymouth
Hi rkauer.yep did everyone of your steps down to a t mate and still nothing.my scsi cdrom has a switch on the back with numbers 0 - 6 ive tried everyone of these.when i click on the squirrelscsi icon in dosdrivers it says enter command arguments.version squirrelscsi.device then press ok then an output window comes up with squirrelscsi.device 37.775.if i do a scsi device scan with scsi moumter it comes up with no device present.and if i click on cd0 in storage my amiga crashes.all i want to do is get my cds(demos mods etc)onto my amiga so i think i'll go down the cf hard drive route then i can just copy my cds to the cf card.i did follow your helpfull steps down to a t but still nothing.i know its something silly.i wish i could just box up my harware and send it to you to see whats going on.its gone past being angry,im just sad i bought the squirrel and cdrom on ebay and i cant get it to work.if u guys can think of amything im not doing then please,please let me know.at least my hard drive is back to normal now.thanks

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Joe.

If you want your Squirrel tested, you can send it to me and I'll see if it works or not, or if you can get your A1200 working without it, I can run you through manually installing the files needed to get it up-and-running.

joebloggs71

Country
Britain
Region
Plymouth
Ok andy.got a friend in plymouth im going to take it to him and if he cant get it working we'll
go down your route(send you the cdrom and squirrel.give me 10 mins while i phone a friend then i'll get back to you.
Thanks
joe:)

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Hi Joe

Firstly, I know exactly how you feel mate and so do the others on here so youre not alone, weve all been there :) The good thing however is that there are so many brainiacs on here that one way or another we WILL get you going! (y)

So right now, your hard drive wont boot into Workbench and youre still not able to access your CDROM with your Squirrel right? I had a similar problem with the squirrel not picking up my CDROM when it did the scan too, you know what it turned out to be? a bent PCMCIA socket pin and some crap stuck in one of the holes of the Squirrel. Check your pins with a torch and gently straighten them out (gently!) if they are bent and then check the holes on the Squirrel.

As you have found Joe, the Amiga can be incredibly frustrating but once you get past it its well worth it :) Also, Im sure there will be someone local(ish!) to you who would be willing to help, guys? (y)(y)

Chin up dude, we'll get your stuff for ya(y)

Taj

Top Bottom