Starting out with electronics.

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
I'm an electronics Biff, but am starting to learn.

I have no bits and pieces with which to practice on, and am looking to get a "starter kit" to get me going.

I have had a bit of a nose around and found a BIN on eBay HERE which looks OK to me.

Are there any hints and tips out there for a budding electronics hobbyist?

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
So do CPC

And more importantly they both supply full instructions with the kits (y)

Dave G :cool:

Last edited:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@r0jaws

are you looking for a kit to learn with or to stock up on?

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
maplins do some excellent starter kits m8y (y)

They do rather a nice PIC programmer; that could be a worthwhile starter project, as the finished article is most useful.

(y)

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
Let me clarify, I'm looking for a basic collection of electronic bits and pieces so that I can assemble small components or make mods as and when I see something interesting and feel I could have a crack at it.

As an example, I was looking to knock together a composite mod for my ZX81, and had found a couple of methods used by others to achieve this but I had no basic bits and pieces with which to crack on.

I'm also looking to learn a bit more about the theory of electronics as well as the practical side of assembling from instructions. I'm looking around my local area for any adult courses that might be going on and doing some reading in the background to start educating myself properly.

I've seen a few "starter kits", on Maplins and eBay but am not sure if they represent good value or not and just wanted the opinions of the venerable audience on here before committing.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
from r0jaws

"feel I could have a crack at it."

"I'm looking around my local area for any adult courses that might be going on"

2 x fnar, snigger

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
:Doh:

LMAO!
I should have known better than to say such things in your presence. :D

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
kit

kit

In need one to :huh: soldering is not a big problem, but some solutions suggest here, required me to go to a friend for a resitor, or the monochrome composyte hack was never done because of missing resitors :Doh:

They come in kits for about 20 eu, you can have almost any value multiple times..

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I decided to put-together a complete setup of components, using www.futurlec.com

Including postage it came to $100 (£61.32) - the kit includes

3,900 1/4 watt Carbon Resistors
78 different values of (from 1 ohm to 10M ohm)
between 50 - 100 units of each value
180 Radial Electrolytic Capacitors
20 different values of (from 1uF to 10000uF)
between 5 - 20 units of each value
490 Ceramic Capacitors
34 different values of (from 0.001uF to 0.1uF & 1pF to 820pF )
between 5 - 20 units of each value

With elctronics, you need patience, not just in making the projects but also waiting to get the components - if however you dont mind stocking comnponents that might not use straight away then stock up.

The above (with exception to the ceramic) is pretty much what I have in stock, although I have probably twice this again in SMD components.

for learning electronics theres a lot of help out there,

The Electronics Club is a good as start as any, and to start off you could look at this Beginers Kit from eBay.co.uk (£18.99 BIN + £2.75 PnP)

(a little about the seller, I have done a lot of business with BobsBitBox on ebay in the past, he is very professional and if you have any queries he will certainly help)

I would suggest to anyone to learn the basics before treading ground in either MicroControllers or Logic Chips.

Top Bottom