Steam In Home Streaming - Anyone using it?

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Tried it a couple of times on my Netbook and I get slow decode, I guess it's a bit on the slow side these days Atom N280, 2gb Ram and NVidia G105M which has 512mb dedicated VRAM. I guess it must work pretty well on a half decent Laptop or Media Centre?

Seems like a good way to play games on the big screen, maybe I don't need my i5/GTX970 rig hooked up to my TV, just a decent Mini ITX setup?

Thinking out loud really but keen to hear other peeps thoughts. Here's a quick Video of GTAV on my Netbook lol.

[m]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdUFd1ET60c[/m]

- - - Updated - - -

Wooo, adjusted a few settings and lowered to 720p and it works perfectly! Very Cool :D

Last edited:

johnim

VIP
Country
England
Region
birmingham
Steve I have used it once just to try it but it seemed slow when it first came out but I don't need too now as all my tv systems are more than capable to run dedicated now

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I tweaked a couple of options and lowered the resolution on the host machine to 720p as that's the max resolution of the Netbook near enough and it's super smooth, just like I'm playing the game on the Netbook! Apart from some input delay of course but totally playable.

I'm amazed, I wasn't expecting it to even work on such an old machine... Oh and that's over WiFi too :eek:

slk486

Asking the questions because I DON'T KNOW
VIP
Country
Denmark
Region
Sealand
I've tried it a couple of times (as well ad Nvidia streaming) and while it does work, the issue for me is always the lag it introduces, which I'm very sensitive to. It's nice enough for a bit of casual controller wielding :)

Top Bottom