stereotypes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
I was just thinking (Yes I know I'm a random guy) but are there any nations where the people are close to their stereotypes? for example us Brits (and yes I am British, but not English) are supposed to be posh, wear bowler hats, carry umbrellas and have really bad teeth. My teeth are straight and pearly white (not American white mind you) I ain't posh (as you've probably guessed) and I don't own a bowler hat, nor do I know anyone that does (I know a few people with crooked teeth mind and I used to know a guy that had terrible halitosis)
So are any of you guys like your stereotypes or know anyone that is?
I know a few French people and not one of them rides a bike, while wearing a beret and a stripped jumper with a string of onions around their necks, so where do these images come from?

waffle over, move along nothing to see here...........

/JuvUK mutters to himself "now what is the current price of fish?"

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Re: stereotypes

A good question indeed my friend,

Where do these stereo typical images of peoples nations come from. why are they perpetuated in such an obvious fashion?

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

I'm nothing like the British/English stereotype at all.
However, it's not just nations that get a stereotype, also particular towns/cities and types of people (poor/rich) get stereotyped regularly.

For instance, originally, I'm from Banbury in Oxfordshire, but I'm not posh, like Oxfordshire people are stereotyped to be.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Maybe we are discussing the wrong stereotypes (read: targets) here....

Just suppose the stereotype we were discussing was "hacker", "geek" or "nerd"; That possibly conjures up images of someone up at 4am, wired on coffee or Jolt cola, surrounded by bits of computers, soldering irons, manuals and wiring, piles of CDs and DVDs, empty pizza boxes and/or plates, staring at a screen discussing the current episode of some sci-fi series or playing some online game.

Now, come on, be honest, how many of us could fit at least part of that stereotype...???

:whistle:

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands

You've been spying on me :evil: :ROTFLOL2:

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

Me! me! Me! I am a geek and proud, we all know geek is now cool, geek is sheek!

with my looks and charm i have impressed many a person with my geekness (y)

TheCorfiot

Out in the Wild
VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Corfu

JuvUK said:
with my looks and charm i have impressed many a person with my geekness (y)

And dont forget your awesome Modesty !!!! :ROTFLOL2:

TC :jester:

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

Well, as a geek who also is human I must admit I have a deep embedded distrust of anything that smells of change.

So this new post 2000 generation of geeks who also work out in the gym and have good social skills, I'm very suspicious of who they are.

My theory is that it's a government plot, and that they have been genetically altered in a lab somewhere.

They crossed Dolph Lundgren, George Clooney and Urkel.

But one thing we all learned in the 80s from Lambda Lambda Lambdas was that geek women are really hot amazons camoflaged as geeks. So they are not suspicious. But I once saw a geek mimbo... That was very odd.

Yup... I'm a fountain of stereotypes!

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

Merlin said:
Maybe we are discussing the wrong stereotypes (read: targets) here....
Just suppose the stereotype we were discussing was "hacker", "geek" or "nerd"; That possibly conjures up images of someone up at 4am, wired on coffee or Jolt cola, surrounded by bits of computers, soldering irons, manuals and wiring, piles of CDs and DVDs, empty pizza boxes and/or plates, staring at a screen discussing the current episode of some sci-fi series or playing some online game.
Now, come on, be honest, how many of us could fit at least part of that stereotype...???
:whistle:
I fit into the above stereotype perfectly (apart from the 4am thing .... I'm usually tired by about 3am :ROTFLOL2: )

arnljot said:
Well, as a geek who also is human I must admit I have a deep embedded distrust of anything that smells of change.
So this new post 2000 generation of geeks who also work out in the gym and have good social skills, I'm very suspicious of who they are.
My theory is that it's a government plot, and that they have been genetically altered in a lab somewhere.
They crossed Dolph Lundgren, George Clooney and Urkel.
I'm 100% with you on this one.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

JuvUK said:
well if you've got it flaunt it i say

So, is Geek the new black, unless you are an Emo...?? Just curious....

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

seriously, it is now considered quite cool to be a geek now, not like in the old days where it was considered sad

:D

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Wow! Merlin's description is so spot on. I jsut had to move my multimeter and solder iron out of the way, and move some plates, coffee mugs, glasses and paper out of the way to find my keyboard. :LOL:

Regarding the original question, I've no idea where some nationality stereotypes come from, but region stereotypes are on the whole quite spot on in my experience. There are a lot of people from Liverpool, Glasgow, Manchester, London, Yorkshire, Dorset, Cornwall etc that easily fit their regional stereotypes.

Regarding the UK stereotype mentioned. That is from my experience only the Americans who think that. And as the American stereotype is that they are all idiots it makes sense (sorry to any American's on here, I know it isn't every American, just most! ;)).

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

Harrison said:
Wow! Merlin's description is so spot on. I jsut had to move my multimeter and solder iron out of the way, and move some plates, coffee mugs, glasses and paper out of the way to find my keyboard. :LOL:

Regarding the original question, I've no idea where some nationality stereotypes come from, but region stereotypes are on the whole quite spot on in my experience. There are a lot of people from Liverpool, Glasgow, Manchester, London, Yorkshire, Dorset, Cornwall etc that easily fit their regional stereotypes.

Regarding the UK stereotype mentioned. That is from my experience only the Americans who think that. And as the American stereotype is that they are all idiots it makes sense (sorry to any American's on here, I know it isn't every American, just most! ;)).

/JuvUK awaits responses to this from Zetr0's wifey and SDG :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
/JuvUK offers Kin a chair

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK

Harrison said:
Well, our lovely SDG isn't an idiot! :popcorn:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

I wasn't including the 10% with passports who know the world is larger than the borders of the USA. ;)

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

JuvUK said:
I am a geek and proud, we all know geek is now cool, geek is sheek!
LOL! I've got a sticker prominently displayed in my office at work that states "Stop laughing... Computers are Cool Now!"

Harrison said:
the American stereotype is that they are all idiots
Stereotypes are created by taking a large sampling of a population or group and looking at the most common things within that sampling. In this case, I can't argue too much against this stereotype. Of course, the idiots in the world outnumber the intelligent by a vast majority so I think the idiot stereotype doesn't know borders. I'm in the fortunate position of having friends who, mostly, do not fall into the idiot category. :) Most of my relatives, however, do. :D

Heather

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

okay......

erm.... what to say.... well I think this convo has reached its limmit and run its course.

It was interesting to discover and discuss these perpetuated stereo types, alas pointing the finger and calling people them is flame bait and asking for war.

I will temporally lock the thread untill further notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom