strange PCI card

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I am testing some pci cards with the pc for the mediator 4000di, since I am going to do another attemp to get RTG running on my A4000, as soon as I recovered from previous attemps:(

I found already some interesting pieces pci working like the realtek network card etc...

I already got voodoo cards from Ruut and Keith, both working on pc, but want to trie another one in my A4000 like an S3.

I found this one in the recycling center, and quickly grabbed it LOL

and it calls in as S3 and does give proper display on the PC. :whistle: I think it is a tv card as well, but lspci in linux tells only it is a s3 card.

Does anybody recognise the pci card?

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
Maybe it's a card by Pinnacle - they used Miro based chips and boards alot in their TV tuner cards

----------

Cable TV input at the top of the card?

S-Video out with lineout connectors.....

Looks like some form of TV card that utilises the S3 chipset to me too.

Last edited:

Buzzfuzz

Amiga tweaker
AmiBayer
Country
Netherlands
Region
Zuid Holland
I think it's a miroVIDEO PCTV pro, which was taken over by Pinnacle who then sold it to Hauppauge.

Edit: it's a MIROMEDIA 3D TV

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ Buzzfuzz

Could be; it's most likely the Miro equivalent of the ATI All-In-Wonder, as it's probably got a BT848 or BT878 tuner on one of those plug-in boards for the TV side of things.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I wonder... It is not reported in linux no pci exept s3 and other known pci devices.

Maybe I need to break open the sandwiched boards al together :(

---------- Post added at 20:46 ---------- Previous post was at 20:40 ----------

Ok forget my previous post I did not see buzzfuzz last link.

Buzzfuzz it is indeed an exact look a like no doubt about it in any way ;) I will look into this about chipset ed like Merlin mentioned what it is exactly it could save me one slot in my A4000.

Thanks a lot, and thank you Buzzfuzz that is exellent reserach, I did not find anything.

No need to break the pieces apart..

Nice thing about the linky, I took it from the garbage lol, I paid nothing. The only thing they could say is hey you cant take it from the garbage it is property of the community, but people do not tend to do that since they know it is not wrong.

da9000

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
San Francisco, CA
BT848 or BT878 tuner

I believe the BT848 is a video decoder chip (http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Bt848), and not a tuner. The tuner is in the silver box usually.

@OP: it's a "TV card" married to a video card is my guess, like Merlin says, the equivalent of an ATI All-In-Wonder.

---------- Post added at 13:53 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

I can't see very well from the images you show (where is the bottom?), but the reason you don't see 2 cards when doing lspci in Linux is that the TV portion is probably a daughter card / add-on, and thus does not exist as a PCI entity, but piggy backs and complements the S3.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
@ da9000

Brooktree BT848 and BT878 chipsets were used in a lot of Pinnacle and Miro TV cards. I still have a Miro MM100 card here that I use to connect retro systems to my PC, via the composite or RF in on the card.

You are correct in that the tuners were usually Philips or Hitachi ones.

(y)

da9000

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
San Francisco, CA
Right. Brooktree were the 800-pound gorilla chipmaker (as opposed to Intel) of the computer TV-card market :)

Top Bottom