Sub £200 tablet recommendation

DojoDan

Blogger
Country
UK
Region
West Midlands
Well it's my parents anniversary next week and I wanted to surprise em with a tablet. My dad likes youtube and my mum likes looking on ancestry.co.uk, for which there is an android app I think. It needs to be an 8 to 10 inch and sub 200 quids.
Oh and work well with Skype so needs a serviceable front camera.

I've looked at the Windows 8.1 Linx 10 which is good but the nets littered with microphone problems, even an external mic seems buggered. Plus how can you install Windows software on it? Like my mum's ancestry software for example.

I've had a go on the Hudl 2 and Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 at Tescos earlier and they seem good. Has anyone tried Skype on these? What's the front cam like for the other person you're chatting to? I'd like a 10" screen as it would be easier for them but the Hudl screen is much clearer. I know the Samsung res is lower but even for me it felt a tad fuzzier after the Hudl.

Looked at the Asus Transformer but I'm not so sure.

I'd really appropriate some help deciding. I'm swinging towards the Hudl even tho it's only 8". Just unsure on Skype quality.

Cheers all.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 is a good tablet, but is now very old and has a very low resolution screen compared to newer models, looking blurry by comparison, and relatively slow CPU and limited ram.

If you could stretch to £229 you can get a brilliant tablet. The Samsung Galaxy TabPro 10.1 in Currys. This is near identical to their current flagship tablet, the Tab S 10.1, with the same case, same processor etc. Only difference is 3GB ram instead of 4, and slightly older technology in the screen compared to the S. However I've got the TabPro 10.1 and is a brilliant tablet, and is very good for Google Hangouts and Skype. Very fast tablet.

If you really can't go above £200 then they also make an TabPro 8.1" version which is under that price.

I highly recommend Samsung tablets because they don't do wrong very often, are robust but lightweight and thin, and don't slow down over time.

Cheap tablets such as Tesco own or cheap Chinese brands may look like a bargain to begin with, but as cheap build and do get slow and crash a lot over time. You do get what you pay for, but the TabPro 10.1 is the real bargain at the moment as it's retail should be £399, so the current £229 is a steal.

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
What Harrison said :D

DojoDan

Blogger
Country
UK
Region
West Midlands
I been reading reviews on the Hudl and I was leaning that way, but I suppose I could stretch to a bit more. I'll have a look at the Samsung 8.1 aswell I hadn't come across those, cheers.

Amiga Forever

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Yorkshire
TabPro 10.1 for £199 at curry is bargain and it can do multi tasking that iPad can't do!

DojoDan

Blogger
Country
UK
Region
West Midlands
TabPro 10.1 for £199 at curry is bargain and it can do multi tasking that iPad can't do!

You are indeed correct :) just what I came home with about an hour ago! So thanks guys, I knew of the tab 4 but didn't even know about the tab pro, and it's the same price. So im absolutey stoked, it's exactly what I was looking for. Under 200, fast, 10" High res, they'll love it. So yeah thanks Harrison, thats helped loads mate, just perfect fot what they need.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Glad I could help.

Don't forget to register it when you first set it up as it activates the extended warranty Samsung include. You can also get a free 50GB extra space on a dropbox account if you link it to the tablet. Even if they have never used Dropbox it is worth setting an account up for the tablet, then you can auto set it to backup photos and documents from the tablet.

DojoDan

Blogger
Country
UK
Region
West Midlands
Will do Harrison, thanks for noting that.

Top Bottom