Successor to Google Nexus 7 2012?

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
I have the 32GB version of the Nexus 7 2012. What would be a good successor to it in the same price range?

Some criteria:
- 7 or 8 inch panel at maximum
- 32 GB of storage or at least option to ad SD cards
- as vanilla Android as possible with constant updates, also supported by Marshmallow
- same or better quality of build as in the Nexus
- NOT a Samsung (matter of principle)

Is Google planning to do a new Nexus in this size class?
Would the 2013 version of Nexus 7 still be a good option? I take you can't get this new anymore?

CraigsBar

Country
Ireland
Region
Galway
I just replaced my 2012 n7 with an acer A3-A30. 10inch, Intel x86-64 architecture. Android 5.1.1 and simple to root! I love it.

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Thanks Craig, but I'm specifically looking for a smaller tablet.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I know you said not a Samsung, but is that due to touchwiz? I didn't like it much, but when my nexus 7 started playing up I bought a Samsung Galaxy TabPro 10.1 for £229 from Currys and it's a great tablet. Similar specs to their flagship tab s, but half the price. They also make an 8" version called the 8.4.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
@Harrison: Nothing technical. I'd just rather get something else than Samsung due to some things that's been said about Samsung in the press in the past year. Don't know if the other manufacturers are any better but at least they don't seem to be getting as much bad press as Samsung.

As I said, it's a matter of principle. :)

demolition

AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
Well, the Nexus 9 is the successor, but it is probably too big. I have tried one and while it is nice and has a very good screen, it is also a bit on the heavy side. I would probably go for the Nexus 7 2013 model. It should run Android 5 without problems and also has a decent screen. Being a Nexus device, it will also receive updates a lot quicker than all the other ones, which is a big plus in my book.

Edit: There is also the Nexus 6 which almost fits in your tablet category. :)

Last edited:

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
So, Google hasn't got any new device in the 7" category in any roadmap?

The 2013 model is nice but I take you can't get that new either?

I'd be happy with my current Nexus otherwise but the Lollipop makes it sluggish from time to time. On the other hand I wouldn't want to downgrade to Kitkat either.

demolition

AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
Last edited:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I very much doubt any other manufacture is different to Samsung. All made in China on minimal wages.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Vyncynt

Country
USA
Region
Alabama
Like you, I would love to have a new one too. I love my Nexus 7 32 GB, but it does appear to be lacking more speed or the ability to use micro SD cards. I know there are a ton of options for newer models, but I like the look, feel, and size of my Nexus 7. It is a shame that Google discontinued it.

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Has anyone tried the Cyanogenmods on their Android tablets?

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
The successor has been chosen. I placed an order for an iPad Mini 2 Wifi 16 GB. It was on sale for less than 250 €, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I figured that I should get by quite all right with just 16 GB based on the way I've been using my Nexus. Three years and about 11 GB out of 27 available.

khimru

Country
Germany
Region
Munich
Well, it has been discontinued, but perhaps you can get lucky to find some left over stock somewhere (NOS :)).
If you have friends in US then it's pretty sure bet. They carry NOS for years over there: Nexus 7 2012, Nexus 7 2013, heck, they carry NOS Nexus 4! I've bought one last year, LOL. Heck, till very recently they had NOS Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus there (but looks like they finally sold them out: there are just one NOS Galaxy Nexus at ridiculous price and Nexus S is finally "out of stock"!

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
The successor has been chosen. I placed an order for an iPad Mini 2 Wifi 16 GB. It was on sale for less than 250 €, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I figured that I should get by quite all right with just 16 GB based on the way I've been using my Nexus..

The problem with Apple iOS is that it does take up a lot of the system storage so you might find you don't have as much spare room for apps as you were hoping.

I also find iOS feels very dated now compared to Android, which has now overtaken it in design and UI functionality.

Will be interested to see what you think compared to Android. I personally wouldn't have purchased an iPad.

CraigsBar

Country
Ireland
Region
Galway

I figured that I should get by quite all right with just 16 GB based on the way I've been using my Nexus..

The problem with Apple iOS is that it does take up a lot of the system storage so you might find you don't have as much spare room for apps as you were hoping.

I also find iOS feels very dates now compared to Android, which has now overtaken it in design and UI functionality.

Will be interested to see what you think compared to Android. I personally wouldn't have purchased an iPad.
Me either to be honest. But what do u know ;) I hope you like it.

protek

Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
Harrison & GraigsBar:

I have only a moderate amount of installed apps in my Nexus as I mostly use it as a surf board and ebook reader. And from even those that I have installed I could probably uninstall half as I hardly use them. From the back of my hand I'm going to need:
- Kodi remote
- Google Play Books
- Bluetooth terminal
- Toshiba FlashAir data app
- Garageband
- Perhaps an alternative to Safari

If I have those, I'm pretty much set up in addition to whatever is already installed by default. Ok, maybe Hill Climb Racing. :)

I do admit that Android is more advanced in design and usability than iOS nowadays. On the other hand, if I have to wait over ten seconds for my tablet to respond to my actions, I wouldn't call it good usability. Shame that the 2012 version of Nexus 7 never got Marshmallow.

Last edited:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I agree that the Nexus 7 2012 edition did get very slow and annoying towards the end of using mine. Until mine eventually just stopped turning on or charging at the end of last year. It was always a bit unstable though. I've never had any similar issue with my Samsung TabPro. Solid as a rock and very responsive.

CraigsBar

Country
Ireland
Region
Galway
At the moment I find it really hard not to recommend any tablet with the latest atom quad. It is an amazing processor. Way snappier.

johnim

VIP
Country
England
Region
birmingham
I have a nexus 7 2012 32gb, a dell Venue 8 Pro 3845 win8 32gb quad atom, also a Archos GamePad 7 8gb

But i always go back to my nexus 7 as its the best tablet i have had.

The dell 1 uses nearly all 32gb for the system and the archos is a game pad really

Snoozy

Only Amiga makes it possible
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Protek I can tell you I own both ipad3 and iPad Air and a few android tablets. The android tablets ui pale in comparison to the apple equivalents. I think you made a good decision, also your iPad will hold its value much better than android devices.

Top Bottom