sulking over my deneb

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
note to self - dont wear big woolly jumper while poking around in the Amiga...

A usb stopped working the other day on my deneb...so i thought i'll have a peek....

well one of the cabled usb sockets has stopped working for some reason, no problem i have others in the garage of doom - somewhere

But... while unscrewing and lifting the usb backplate out my nice wooly jumper got wrapped around the external pinouts on the deneb and as i lifted my arm out of the Amiga to answer the phone...

the whole section of pins tore off the deneb board :shock:

tearing tracks , and even knocking a capacitor loose.....

and the phone call? Are you interested in a new kitchen sir?

After testing the deneb - the led's light up but the usb (x3) do nothing, i'll have to get the multimeter out and have a good look when ive calmed down!!!

EDIT...

surface mounted usb now working (as per instructions!) will try re soldering the pin block back on tomorrow - quite hopeful :)

Last edited:

mjnurney

Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
cheers, fingers crossed....i'll take a look tomorrow :-(

cosmicfrog

The 1 That Ribbits
Country
UK
Region
Potteries
always remember if its an important call they will ring back !!

as a woolly jumper liker I feel your pain, hope it all turns out well

mjnurney

Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
i wouldn't mind but i have a new kitchen too! , i had hoped it was the national lottery saying they had found my ticket worth a couple of million but also no...

FOL

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Wales
note to self - dont wear big woolly jumper while poking around in the Amiga...

A usb stopped working the other day on my deneb...so i thought i'll have a peek....

well one of the cabled usb sockets has stopped working for some reason, no problem i have others in the garage of doom - somewhere

But... while unscrewing and lifting the usb backplate out my nice wooly jumper got wrapped around the external pinouts on the deneb and as i lifted my arm out of the Amiga to answer the phone...

the whole section of pins tore off the deneb board :shock:

tearing tracks , and even knocking a capacitor loose.....

and the phone call? Are you interested in a new kitchen sir?

After testing the deneb - the led's light up but the usb (x3) do nothing, i'll have to get the multimeter out and have a good look when ive calmed down!!!

OUCH!!!!!, I can hear the deneb screaming from here, :).

It may be repairable.

As for port stopping working. I used to get this alot on the A4000T, All I had to do was either tell trident to restart deneb or remove a corrupt config file for said usb hardware.

mjnurney

Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
ahh thanks, i'll try that and see what happens.

many thanks

---------- Post added at 19:29 ---------- Previous post was at 19:20 ----------

hello yay !!!!!

@FOL - you my friend are a hero!!

i had on tried putting the jumper back on rescue mode - and the usb didnt work but i reset trident as you suggested and bingo the usb socket works fine!!!!!!!

:)

The are solder tabs (just) still on the board so i will solder the pin block back on tomorrow and see how i get on but its not the end of the world to be left with the one socket!

thank you again:):):):):):):):):):):):)

FOL

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Wales
ahh thanks, i'll try that and see what happens.

many thanks

---------- Post added at 19:29 ---------- Previous post was at 19:20 ----------

hello yay !!!!!

@FOL - you my friend are a hero!!

i had on tried putting the jumper back on rescue mode - and the usb didnt work but i reset trident as you suggested and bingo the usb socket works fine!!!!!!!

:)

The are solder tabs (just) still on the board so i will solder the pin block back on tomorrow and see how i get on but its not the end of the world to be left with the one socket!

thank you again:):):):):):):):):):):):)

Remember always ask before messing with hardware.
I real feel for your deneb, as its a awesome bit of kit.

Anyways, glad you got it working (sort of).

mjnurney

Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
deneb update -

All solder pads built up with solder and a bit of effort, new capacitor fitted and bingo - all good , all three sockets work now ive changed the wired one that stopped in the first place.
A little bit of epoxy resin on the jumper block to secure it and its only held by the solder in the first place..

anyway happy ending after all :) :) :) :) :) :)

@ FOL

im slightly puzzled as to why i need to select reset in trident for the usb ports to work, i didnt need to before?
Is this linked to me upgrading my A4000 to an 040 ? it was an 030 when the deneb was used before?......not sure if i tried it with the 040 before the damage was done.....

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

lol my jumper is in he washer! its on borrowed time !!!

Top Bottom