Supporting new Amigas?

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
right!

here's a thread to discuss new Amigas, get one or not? useless or not? good bad or indifferent here is the place to say it.

gentlemen and ladies, please fell free to state your cases...........

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
I see you're living up to your tag line :roll:

In my case - no new Miggy of any type, style, incarnation or whatever.

I looooovvvveeee my old Miggys :inlove:

Dave G :cool:

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Do we need new ones? There's plenty of used out there unless you're talking of a new 'Amiga' branded system.

I was dreaming the other day about OS4.1 having full 68k fallback so you could run native 68k applications in OS4.1 on a Classic PPC Amiga...

So what about a new Amiga that has PPC @ 1000mhz+ and 060 @100mhz+? All in a nice little ITX package with slot load DVD & Slimline HD Floppy + VGA output showing both native and RTG screens :cool:

Ok so it couldn't compete with modern PC's but would be a great machine for our Classic Workbench enviroments, but I'm sure it would price its self out of the market.

Would be cool though, I'd want one... :bounceBoingBall:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
New Amiga - in the sense of pure PPC based hardware is really not for me..

However - New Amiga - based on older hardware chipsets - like say the Natami = a big +1 for me =)

As far as I am concerned the PPC should be kept as a companion processor not a LEAD processor - ie. when the work gets to much - wham over to the PPC chip.

I cannot understand why this "PPC upgrade" path has been so done to death - theres far cheaper (and faster) x86 CPU's that could be used as a Companion CPU - while I appreciate there is the Endian issue, this really is insignificant compared to a lot of other things that have been done.

(personally I would love to see a 1GHz transmetta companion CPU on an Amiga)

Besides an x86 cpu opens up the possibility to use an intergrated chipset - even the nearly 10 year old SIS630 provides integrated PCI bus /AGP bus / Par / Ser / 4x USB / 10/100 NIC/ soundblaster | ac97 compatible sound AND *shared* 64MB SIS630 3D graphics (with DVD decoding)

In one VERY small chip

Imagine that hanging off a 060x86 Super card

Even 1 GHz P3 with 512MB ram would be an amazing compantion CPU and belittle even the fastest PPC604e

Using even the old SIS630 above would be faster than the Permedia 2 of the BPPC

I can dream it now.... SuperWarp3D and WarpX

being able to run .exe executables - even emulate an amiga within the amiga... faster than the amiga..... whoa.... getting dizzy..... must sit down.

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
Wow, seems like I am in the minority who would like to see a new Amiga that embodies the qualities the Amiga was famous for in the 80s - that being powerful elegant custom hardware and unique design.

I for one am sick of all these fpga classic Amigas. If I want to run classic amiga software, I will - on a classic Amiga. MiniMig etc just feels like a cheap "direct to tv" console emulator to me.

Unfortunately, up until now all next gen Amigas, whilst far more powerful than classic hardware, have been relatively low powered compared to their pc counterparts. Of course the efficiency of Amiga Os/MorphOs means that a 1ghz NG Amiga "feels" faster than a 4ghz pc running Windoze, but its not the same.

I would love to see a return to the days of old where the Amiga hardware platform was more advanced and powerful than other home computers on the market. THIS is what would make me part with the (big) dollars required to purchase in.

Classic hardware is great, but retro can only consume so much of your time before you yearn for a powerful machine to snub your nose at pc owners with. :)

Im reasonably sure this will never happen, but the dream is nice.

So, am I the only one who would get excited over a new Amiga that was as far advanced over the competition now as the a1000 was in 1985?

4ghz multi core cpu... unified memory with gfx window of up to 16 gb... zorro 4 with bus speed 16 times that of pci-e... 256 channel dsp sound... 512 mb programmable kickstart firmware (entire OS loaded from firmware) etc etc

That would be worth a few k from this little black duck. :)

salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
There's no such thing as a new Amiga, only new Amiganoid thingies!
I'm totally convinced that there never will be one either... :(

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I am also a big fan of the original hardware. I don't however buy PPC on classics since the cost is to much in my eyes.

I bought a complete second hand amiga one xe system at 1000 mhz for less then a 68000/PPC soultion (turbo card only), overperforming it many times.

I did not decide yet what to keep of the modern solutions, I think time will tell.

Let's hope the classics get a serious upgrade. I would be willing to spend on it, if the specs were closer to daily hardware.

commodorejohn

Shameless recidivist
Country
United States
Region
Minnesota
I'm with Zetr0; I don't see the appeal in PPC-based machines (didn't in PPC-based Macs, either.) Not that they're bad, but to me the 68k architecture is as much a part of what makes the Amiga special as the versatile chipset and elegant OS. The upgraded 68k reimplementations are where it's at, as far as I'm concerned. MiniMig is all well and good, but NatAmi is what I'm really looking forward to; as long as it makes it to commercial status at a reasonable price tage (unlike certain projects *cough*X1000*cough*) I'll be all over that sucker.

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
If one is going to buy a new computer then just buy a PC or a Mac, if one onts an Amiga, just get a genuine one. Not some half arsed brownish mixture of the two.

2 Pennies, firmly slammed on the table right there.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
personal opinion here,
i don't get PPC, apart from running Quake for the "because i can" factor what else can it do? surf the net, send emails, well that's what the PC is for (and before the Mac boys start, the Mac is now just an expensive PC)
the Amiga is a memory that i relive and enjoy, but the software doesn't need faster and faster than maybe an 060 (the last of the real Amigas IMPOV)
new Amigas would have to be able to run all of the back catalogue of software, and also be able to do all of the modern PC tasks.
but the thing that eally gets me is the price, i will happily spend a couple of grand on my PC to get it to do what i want it to do (and it does get a lot of use!) but i object to spending over a grand on a novelty or bragging rights, some of you may even remember my getting rid of an Apollo 060 because it was unused by me.

so in short new Amigas? can't be done

Last edited:

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
I don't really have a problem supporting any "New" hardware endeavor, but the greed of companies charging an outrageous amount of money for "Amiga" branded hardware has really put me off. I see what hardware vendors are charging for "New" hardware for other retro-platforms (C-64, CoCo and yes, even Mac) and it seems that the "Amiga" name brings a two thousand percent jump in price. The PPC debate brings a whole round of "What the heck are they thinking?" questions. It makes me wonder if the ONLY reason a push for PPC hardware is so they can again rape the Amiga community and milk every last cent out of us users. A typical example is the so called Shark PPC board. The "MAC" equivalent was $35-$50 USD. They wanted over $350 USD "when" it was released. It doesn't take a an IQ over 20 to realize that there is something seriously wrong here.
The OS4.0 classic was over $100 USD. Thats Microsoft prices for G sake! And I have to find a PPC card. Over in North America, a PPC card sells for almost as much as a SAM system, so I would have to spend the price of an X1000 anyway to "run" the latest OS.
Sorry to say this, but I have fun finding and fixing up the "Classic" hardware for pennies compared to "New" harddware, that can't even run most of the "Classic" software anyways- isn't that the reason for still using an Amiga anyways? Otherwise new stuff is just pretty "Desk Candy" to ooow and aww over. Its almost like buying a new f22 jet to sit in your yard, and you can't fly it anyway, because you are not in the military.

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
Being a PPC owner, I'm staying out of this thread and reaching for a rather large bag of popcorn :)

Carry on, don't mind me lol

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
Being a PPC owner, I'm staying out of this thread and reaching for a rather large bag of popcorn :)

Carry on, don't mind me lol

ahhh but you should be answering, not having owned a PPC i can't know how good it really is, so what can a PPC do? what makes them worth £XXXX?

enquiring minds need to know:ninja:

---------- Post added at 16:29 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

I see you're living up to your tag line :roll:

In my case - no new Miggy of any type, style, incarnation or whatever.

I looooovvvveeee my old Miggys :inlove:

Dave G :cool:

I don't know what you mean?:whistle:

Hell_Labs

Banned
Country
England
Region
St.Helens, Lancashire
Wow, seems like I am in the minority who would like to see a new Amiga that embodies the qualities the Amiga was famous for in the 80s - that being powerful elegant custom hardware and unique design.

I for one am sick of all these fpga classic Amigas. If I want to run classic amiga software, I will - on a classic Amiga. MiniMig etc just feels like a cheap "direct to tv" console emulator to me.

So what exactly do you think of the Natami, then? you've got a weird hatred of the minimig, so this should be interesting.

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
Natami?

I think a lot of people are waiting to pass judgment on Natami. I for one am waiting to see if this EVER will be released, or is it just another "work in progress". So far, we have seen a lot of hype and pictures, but nothing real in the last 3 years or so.
The Minnimig is a complete and utter joke in my view. To justify paying 4 to 5 times the price to replace an A500 when you can get these all day long for almost nothing, AND its not compatible with a lot of software, and its not even Complete- you still have to buy "other" products to make it work. just shows me that the old saying "A sucker is born every minute" is so true. Now, IF it was actually cheaper and easier to get than an A500, then it would be somewhat viable. but as it sits, I just don't get the point at all.

Hell_Labs

Banned
Country
England
Region
St.Helens, Lancashire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rydE7wa_5d0

http://www.natami.net/gfx/NatAmi16_LX/natami16_lx_5.jpg
It has a release schedule too, acurate so far to within six months. You'd know if you looked.

Also I'd say the minimig is pretty compatable, I mean you've obviously never owned one so how can you say? Is there an up to date list of stuff that doesn't work on it?

And what are these "other" products? a storage medium? Keyboard and mouse? A monitor? It's a motherboard. What are you expecting?

I like the minimig. I see the point in my occasionally used toy not taking up a square metre on my desk. I also like that it won't stop working for no reason at all.

I'll even stick my neck out, and dare to say its worth the cost just for the fact you won't have to spend hours dismantling it and dipping parts in hazardous chemicals if you want one in good condition.

Also, you keep using that punctuation. I do not think it means what you think it means.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
ahhh but you should be answering, not having owned a PPC i can't know how good it really is, so what can a PPC do? what makes them worth £XXXX?

enquiring minds need to know:ninja:

Is it worth the money, hmm well in terms of performance maybe not but is it cool to own? Hell yes :D

How good is it? Well it helps out with those little things the 060 struggles with. Haven't done much with OS4 yet other then click around but very excited about OS4.1 and pretty sure I'll have my PPC overclocked by our resident Guru pretty soon :cool:

But its the same with anything you can say is an 060 worth XXX or whatever, but when you really want something you'll pay what you need to I guess...

Steve.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Hell_Labs

Please let others have an opinion without raking them over the coals for it.

I apprecaite you fell that you need to defend your opinion - but theres no attacking going on, just idea's, ideals and opinions.

Just relax and play nice - this will make this thread go a lot smoothly - and you get to keep extra hair folicles... and you might think you dont need them now.... but just you wait!!!

Thanks =)

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
this is what i'm trying to find out Steve, i mean what can you do with a PPC? apart from playing some 1st person shooters (cool as it is it isn't as good as the PC) what else can you do?

for example could you/ would you use it as your everyday computer? could you use it in an office? what does it do? lol

i'm being serious here, and i welcome all PPC users views, help me to understand the point of the PPC

JuvUK

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
this is what i'm trying to find out Steve, i mean what can you do with a PPC? apart from playing some 1st person shooters (cool as it is it isn't as good as the PC) what else can you do?

for example could you/ would you use it as your everyday computer? could you use it in an office? what does it do? lol

i'm being serious here, and i welcome all PPC users views, help me to understand the point of the PPC

JuvUK

Hmm, I guess you could use it everyday but I think of it like a Classic Car you could use that everyday but you probably rather use it weekends and keep it safe.

There are lots of apps and such that use the PPC, Email/FTP/Media Players/Games or whole OS' like OS4 and the few games that use PPC.

I think OS4.1 will bring more support and open more doors, but I don't think any of these classic systems can replace the PC for modern/daily tasks or a sole system becuase we have got so used to the speed and fast interenet.

However for recreation and weekend fun, I think they're great and I am absolutly glad I bought my PPC.

Steve.

Top Bottom