Symbian based mobiles. Anyone got one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I've just inherited a Nokia N95 from my wife as she has upgraded to the new Nokia 5800 touch phone (which is very nice).

I really like the N95. Its fast with a nice large screen and responsive keys. Plus the build quality is pretty good. The OS is also really nice and easy to install apps and java applets into. It's a big step up from the Sony 800i I was using before. That was a fairly nice phone; fast, good camera and fast to text on, but the screen was quite small, and the interface was a bit limiting. Plus it was a bugger to hack.

I've only had the N95 a couple of days, but I've already software hacked it so it can run unsigned code. Updated the N-Gage software and installed a load of "obtained" games. Some of them are very impressive for a phone, especially how smooth the 3D is. I've also installed a File Manager on the phone making accessing and managing files much easier, and I've got hold of some cool apps to add loads of useful things, especially map and gps based.

Opera Mini has also been installed. It's the first time I've tried the mobile version of Opera and I'm impressed. It is very fast and much easier to use and navigate websites compared to the built in Nokia web browser. And the Opera Widgets App is quite fun to install too as it gives you access to loads of little Apps for your phone.

Oh, I've also installed Sky Anytime so I can control Sky+ from anywhere. Great as I do forget to set recordings quite a lot.

And in my search to see what is available for the N95 and other S60 Symbian phones I discovered there is quite a large emulation scene for them, with loads of emulators available for many 8-bit and some 16-bit systems including NES, SNES, Spectrum and Megadrive. I'm going to try some of these out when I get time. The phone is definitely fast enough to emulate some of the 8-bit systems perfectly. It will be interesting to see how good the 16-bit emulators function though.

So has anyone else here got an N95, other N Series phone, or other Symbian OS based phone? And if so what else have you installed or hacked on it?

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
Re: Symbian based mobiles. Anyone got one?

I cannot really comment on the N-series and above (I have migrated to Blackberries...)
BUT
I had the legendary N6600 and the N6680 since almost their launch... the software I was running is not compatible with newer OS , only crappy java games might be and there have been ~2 years since I used a SymbianOS device...
I think that the Symbian OS is one of the best (if not the best) OS for mobile phones! I judged having in mind that the user does carry a mobile phone, and not a pda/gadget like MS with their crappy WM thinks... (windows mobile is fine, but it's phone functions are ultra-lame) So you have great phone software AND a platform to run all sorts of things (y)

And to comment on Blackberries too, they have great phone functionality (and migration from Symbian was an ultra-breeze) , they have great internet functionality (for instance the facebook app can integrate with your contacts and update from caller pics to birthdays in the calendar) and it has WAY TOO MANY security mechanisms :laugh: also it's software leans on the "serious" side , with a handfull of great games and many apps/utils...

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

The thing that impressed me most was Opera Mini. It is so fast at loading full webpages, and it loads them properly, with you able to see a full zoomed out copy of the whole page, and then be able to select an area to zoom into to read. Works perfectly. Quite content heavy sites like the BBC load perfectly, as does Amibay!

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina

opera mini is AWESOME (and winOpera too :bowdown: ) , I too use with my BB8900, it is faster than the BB's own browser (lack of insane security checks I assume :laugh: )

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

I've also found that the inbuilt browser doesn't always connect. It can sometimes site their with a busy pointer and the load bar slowly creeping along. But with Opera Mini it always connects first time and is fast.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

I'm afraid I'm something of a dissenter. I had a Nokia N95, and I really couldn't stand it. Never cared for the UI, just found it clunky and unpleasant to use.

That said, I previously used a Nokia 9210 Communicator, and that was quite a neat little toy, but at the time, data was only available over CSD, and therefore very expensive, so I've never really pushed it to its limits.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

The N95's interface is a little confusing to start with, but you soon work things out and it becomes fast and easy to use, and I think that is true of most phones these days, especially if you switch makes.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

These days, I sold my soul to the Devil, and carry around an iPhone. I'm happy with it, it's easy-to-use, does all the things I want it to do (although the built-in camera is shocking, even for a phone, it's poor) and because we've been with O2 since the dawn of time, I got a much better deal on it than a man-off-the-street would.

Hmm, maybe I should offer my old cellphones on here. You could argue that the older B&W Nokia 9110 communicator counts as 'retro computing' -- It even has a 486 in it! It might even be worth the shipping cost!

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Hmm... I hate iPhones. Complete gimmick. Those App store adverts they keep playing on TV drive me mad. Great, lets all pay £2 for a spirit level app... NOT!

And Apple are not really that interested in their existing iPhone customer base either. They are more interested in releasing a new model every 6 months that makes all the previous iPhone versions out of date and not able to run the latest PS versions or Apps, forcing users to upgrade each time. Rip off Apple as always.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

i agree, i hate the iphone as well, and the ad that says "some steps skipped and sequences shortened" lol rip off.

I have a blackberry storm and it's cool (y)

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire

I have a clunky old N73 but it does what I want fairly well (meh).
However, one of the best Apps I use all the time is Mobipocket Reader. A cracking little e-book reader. I am a voracious reader and always make sure I have a couple of books installed on my phone at all times. It's great if you happen to be stuck somewhere.
It can be downloaded freely and converts all sorts of documents and ebooks so that they can be read.

gazcbm

10 PRINT "8 Bit Hero"
Country
UK
Region
Manchester, UK

I like the iphone, but dont like the price, way way way way overpriced. My friend has just got the HTC G2 phone and reckons its the nuts.

scrappysphinx

Confused retro man
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Nottingham

A few years ago i had a Nokia 6260 Symbian phone. It was one of the earlier models and was WAY too slow to use.
It used to take around 2 minutes to open a blank text and when i was typing away nothing would appear until around 30 seconds after i'd completed the entire message!
I got rid of that one pretty sharpish.

More recently i had the LG KU990 (Viewty Touchscreen) and decided i didn't like that either.

I came to the conclusion that i'd rather just have a simple phone with mp3 player. I wasn't even bothered about a camera.

I ended up with a free Nokia 6300 on contract and also came away with a free Nintendo Wii which has now been softmodded.

Mike

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

r0jaws said:
..one of the best Apps I use all the time is Mobipocket Reader. A cracking little e-book reader. ..
It can be downloaded freely and converts all sorts of documents and ebooks so that they can be read.

Sounds good. I will give it a try as I've wanted to install an ebook reader.

Does anyone know of any good email Apps? Would be useful to have access to email via the phone. I could use the built in email app but I don't like how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom