Tandem giving a 1GB limit with second CF card

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
Hi all,

Im going around in circles so hopefuly someone may be able to shed some light on this odd problem :)

I have two 4GB CF cards in an A4000. One connected to the main IDE via a 40pin to CF adaptor. The second connected to a Tandem IDE card along with a CD Rom.

Both CF cards are configured with 200mb/1850mb/1850mb paritions. The main CF boots to WB from the 200mb partition fine and shows the second and third partitions fine. The second CF connected to the Tandem does not work so well. The 200MB partition shows fine and can be formatted but the second and third partitions show up as NDOS partitions and can not be accessed or formatted.

On this second card I have tried making smaller partitions (eight 500mb) but this time I could access and format the first and second partitions but 3 to 8 again showed as NDOS disks and could not be formatted. I have tried three different brands of cards, matching and different IDE/CF adaptors and different cables but no joy. Is there a strange 1GB limit with the Tandem as its seems any partitions which go beyond the first 1GB of the card become inaccessible?

Just finally, if I swap the second card which shows up with the NDOS partitions into the master slot it boots perfect and the NDOS partitions are back to normal and usable :-(

Tanks in advance for nay help :)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I noticed the same with my old tandem ide so yeah I guess it has a 1gb limit which was a lot back on the day!

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
Bugger :-( Thanks for confirming though Steve, thought I was loosing the plot :D

BlindGerMan

Dancing with bridgeboards
AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Bavaria
May be you can use the octapussy software with the Tandem to break this limit...

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
was the limit 1gb for the entire drive or was it 1gb per partition?

i cant remember...

Last edited:

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
Its 1GB total Roy, so you can have 10 100mb partitions but or 1 1GB, all fine.... as soon as you stray over 1GB every partition thereafter becomes unavailable :-(

BlindGerMan

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Bavaria
The same problem with the other BSC IDE-devices like the AT-Bus! So give oktapussy a chance

Aysel

Country
England
Region
Mansfield
The same problem with the other BSC IDE-devices like the AT-Bus! So give oktapussy a chance

You are a splendid genius sir! Copied the Oktapussy AT driver into Expansion and its working perfectly now, all partitions available!

Thanks very much :) I had got it in my mind Oktapussy was a ROM upgrade for the SCSI card, I had never realised the driver package existed :D

BlindGerMan

AmiBayer
Country
Germany
Region
Bavaria
Nice to hear, that everything is working now! A measure for me to help!

Top Bottom