Tearing my hair out HELP!

Aughie

Country
Northern Ireland
Region
Co Down
Not that I have much hair left anyway and its years since I was on the Amiga scene however

I still have an a1200 I recently discovered whilst clearing out my garage with a 4 gig HD (yes a genuine 4 gig HD) BUT THATS IT. No PSU {There is one in the post from EBay) No WB disks in fact no disks of any kind. PLUS as far as I know the HD is blank as its not yet formatted etc. Now I used to have it all IE a towered A1200 plus I still have the 3.5" original HD was in that but eveything else was skipped when I was moving house. What a chump I feel about that!

I also have a CD with ALL WBenches IE 1.3 ; 2.0; 3.0; & 3.1 all saved as DMS files. However although having an old copy of Amiga forever my Windows 7 computer dosent have a floppy but even if it did it would be useless plus as my miggy has a blank HD plus I dont have any WB disks its rendered useless.

I have ordered one of those gadgets to allow use of a PC mouse
HELP!! WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS.

Last edited:

Jameson

Country
Australia
Region
Queensland
You have lots of options my friend.

OPTION 1 - plug the 4GB HD into your PC using the appropriate adapter (2.5" to USB or 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter etc). Run WinUAE and format the 4gb HD and install ClassicWB etc on the HD via WinUAE. Reinstall in the Amiga and bingo.

OPTION 2 - Get a digital copy of the WB 3.1 disk. They are all over the net (but I am NOT TELLING YOU to download them illegally!!!), they are also on the Amiga Forever CD etc. Then you need a way of getting them onto 880kb 3.5" floppy disks. You can do this in several ways. There is a cheap kit (sold here on Amibay by a member) that allows a PC to write Amiga disks (PCs cannot do this natively). Or, if you have access to another Amiga you can use ADF2Disk (on Aminet) to write the disks (they are usually in ADF format) back to floppies.

OPTION 3 - EASIEST OPTION (left the easiest to last). Ask a nice Amiga fellow who has a nice 4GB HD to image their hd and send it to you (ensuring they have no copyright protected materials on it). You then simply use you PC to reimage directly back to the HD and plug it into your Amiga.

Hope this helps.

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
you can put the disk images back to floppy using a adf transfer kit.

the kit comprises of a floppy driver disk,pcmcia adaptor and a cf card
its the easiest solution i can think of.

Last edited:

Jameson

Country
Australia
Region
Queensland
He needs a basic OS setup on his HD before he can access a compactflash card via pcmcia - I think the problem is he has nothing on the HD at the moment.

johnim

VIP
Country
England
Region
birmingham
You can always get a gotek drive too to install workbench from the adfs on the forever cd

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
I agree the best solution here is to plug HDD into PC and use WinUAE to set it up. (I would suggest a USB HDD caddy)

However I could sort you out with a 4gb Image from a CF card, it will certainly be smaller then the HDD so you write that back and then use Thomas' fixhddsize tool to unlock the remaining disk space and create another partition that you could use for a backup. Or you can just leave it, it will function just fine.

The main reason I recommend using WinUAE and setting up yourself is that you will learn something, it's better to try these things for yourself and take away some knowledge :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom