Terve from Finland!

keko

Country
Finland
Region
Espoo
Hello!

I can't remember when I first got interested in computers. What I do remember, is that by the time I was 10 and my school organized a computer club, I joined it with enthusiasm. That was then I first got into programming - in BASIC. I didn't have a computer at home (my parents were a bit on the Luddite side), but the club organizer gave me his old TI Compact Computer 40 for free. I had no software for it, but it had a BASIC interpreter and a thick instruction manual - and that was enough. It even ran on AA batteries, so I could take it with me anywhere I wanted!

Some time later, I got a PC (the home computer age was over by then - I'm not that old :p I kept programming - first in BASIC dialects like QB and VB, later in everything from C through PHP to Common Lisp and Haskell. It's my oldest hobby, and now also my job.

I heard about the demoscene as a teenager and visited a few parties, but the interest didn't really stick. I was a shy kid, and the sceners were a bit more... social... than I was used to ;) I was especially impressed by the oldskool stuff, and learned enough 6502 assembly to write a simple game for the VIC-20 (with an emulator - I had no real hardware). Trying to fit everything in 4k of memory and having to write your own routines for basic stuff like multiplication was a really interesting experience, and I think it made me a better coder overall.

I've been hearing a lot about Amigas lately. Anniversary celebrations, friends talking about their old machines, people on IRC writing an Amiga demo, articles in magazines, and so on. The Finnish independent computer magazine Skrolli had 22 pages of Amiga stuff in one of their issues a while ago, including a guide to restoring an A500 that pointed me here :) Their article on classic graphics modes was also really interesting, especially the part about bitplanes - it was all new to me, since I've only coded for character-based and modern "chunky" modes.

Now I'm thinking of getting a classic Amiga (probably A500) myself and giving democoding a second try - even if nothing comes of it, I can always invite some friends over and see if they still remember how to play all those games they keep talking about :p

g40rocket

Country
Portugal
Region
Oliveira de Azemeis
Welcome Terve !

Enjoy your travel here and by the way, great history ! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom