TF536 (green screen)

PropBlast

Country
UK
Region
Suffolk
Ok so I'm thinking of selling my A500 soon with the following upgrades but I need to get the TF536 (green screen) fixed . This is the second time this has happened to the TF536. I've checked all the pins on both the riser/relocator but they look fine (ordered a new one just in case) but this problem is driving me crazy!

Amiga A500 Rev 6.A motherboard (fitted with pin socket for TF536)
Keyboard has hard membrane.
Terriblefire TF536 68030 64mb 50mhz (Faulty. Green screen at start up). 44pin IDE header on card. PGA128 CPU socket. 68000 relocator specifically for A500.44 pin SDtoIDE adapter. 32GB MicroSD card + MicroSD to SD adapter.
512k Ram Expansion
Ramasses II with 8375 Agnus 2MB Chip
Kickstart ROM 3.1
Original tank mouse and Python 1 joystick
Original PSU
All cables supplied.
Workbench 1.3 disks and manuals + original kickstart 1.3 chip.

Can anyone help? <Snip>

Last edited by a moderator:

DjCook

8 Bit Dreams
Blogger
Country
Germany
Region
Bavaria
..Workbench 1.3 disks and manuals + original kickstart 1.3 chip...
How should Kickstart 1.3 be able to address 64MB of memory if it has no clue about Zorrolll Memory space!?
At time KS1.3 was released max FastRAM was 8MB (allocated as Zll),
so TF536 will never work under KS1.3

PropBlast

Country
UK
Region
Suffolk
I have never used KS1.3 and upgraded it to 3.1 so it would work with the TF536.

DjCook

8 Bit Dreams
Blogger
Country
Germany
Region
Bavaria
KS 3.1 should work for sure...
Did this worked previously or it's a fresh build?

miggymad

Retired
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Central
First port of call is to check the PSU voltages with a multi-meter. This is of particular importance if you are still using an original PSU.

If the TF536 is removed does the A500 switch on and display the Kickstart screen properly?

When the Amiga boots, if it encounters a hardware fault the system will display a solid single coloured screen, or a series of these screens if more than one error is detected.

The following colours are valid for all versions of AmigaDOS since Kickstart 1.3. However, there were several more colours in 1.3 compared to anything included after Kickstart 2.0 was released. All of the colours listed below are the same for all versions of Amiga kickstart.

• Red - An error in the Kickstart rom as detected.
  • Green - An error in the Chip Ram was detected.
  • Blue - An error in the custom chip set was detected.
  • Yellow - The CPU encountered an error before the system's error-trapping code (the code the calls up the Guru) was in place.
  • Black - No CPU detected.
  • Grey - CPU Passed the test.
  • White - CPU failure.

PropBlast

Country
UK
Region
Suffolk
First port of call is to check the PSU voltages with a multi-meter. This is of particular importance if you are still using an original PSU.

If the TF536 is removed does the A500 switch on and display the Kickstart screen properly?

When the Amiga boots, if it encounters a hardware fault the system will display a solid single coloured screen, or a series of these screens if more than one error is detected.

The following colours are valid for all versions of AmigaDOS since Kickstart 1.3. However, there were several more colours in 1.3 compared to anything included after Kickstart 2.0 was released. All of the colours listed below are the same for all versions of Amiga kickstart.

• Red - An error in the Kickstart rom as detected.
  • Green - An error in the Chip Ram was detected.
  • Blue - An error in the custom chip set was detected.
  • Yellow - The CPU encountered an error before the system's error-trapping code (the code the calls up the Guru) was in place.
  • Black - No CPU detected.
  • Grey - CPU Passed the test.
  • White - CPU failure.

I have no way to check PSU voltages as I don't have a multi-meter. I'm using the original PSU. If I remove the TF536 I get a black screen as suggested I get a black screen. The TF536 when fitted tries to load (multi coloured screen) before the green screen and keeps doing this. The motherboard is fitted with a pin socket specifically for the TF536 so I can't test the original cpu. The disk drive does not make any ticking sounds like it used to.

PropBlast

Country
UK
Region
Suffolk
I have no trouble with the A500 switching on or power getting to it as I know power is getting to the TF536 which is indicated by the red led.

miggymad

Retired
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Central
The black screen occurring when the TF536 has been removed is correct.

I recommend you go buy yourself a cheap multi-meter from Ebay and add it to your toolbox - they can cost less than a fish and chip supper from your local chippy.

Just because an LED lights up does not mean the system is getting enough power from the get-go. It just means there is enough voltage to power up that LED but maybe not enough to initialise the entire system.

PropBlast

Country
UK
Region
Suffolk
I'm think I might just sell it on. Hopefully somebody else can make some use of it.

supaduper

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
west midlands
I would try Chuckys `Diagrom` first before you sell it as it might give an indicator of what is wrong,

Top Bottom