The Amiga Book

ad-rs1600i

AmiBayer
Country
Britain
Region
Northamptonshire
Hi All,

I stumbled across a great magazine/book whilst in WHSmith on Friday chronicling nearly all of the most significant Amiga software titles and their associated stories in a magazine style book published by Retro Gamer. Its a really good read with interviews with key software houses of the time like Team 17, Bullfrog, Bitmap Brothers etc. If you are a regular Retro Gamer reader I dare say a lot of the material has been compiled from articles from Retro Gamer, but if not like me its proved to be a great purchase(y) In fact it probably is anyway, with all Amiga stuff in one book!

A few pictures:-

Adrian

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
its been out a while now but its not that easy to find :)

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
if there's any more there go and buy them all up, people will take them off your hands me included!

ad-rs1600i

AmiBayer
Country
Britain
Region
Northamptonshire
its been out a while now but its not that easy to find :)

Funny you should say that Mike, the copy I had was not in a normal place on the magazine rack for its genre, it was lose in the Apple section ironically, and a bit dog eared like many people have picked it up and flicked through it so I looked for another copy a bit more crisp, but couldn't see anymore anywhere so decided to buy it. Glad I did now! - must admit I thought it was likely quite old with some of the references within it..

Great little read - and very colourful and well presented - bit like the machine itself!:bowdown::thumbsup2:

- - - Updated - - -

if there's any more there go and buy them all up, people will take them off your hands me included!

If I see another one on my travels I will get it for you :)

rossi46

Country
Melrose, Roxburghshire, UK
Region
Scotland
I've been a subscriber to Retro Gamer Magazine since the start, but I was just a tiny bit disappointed with this mag. They really should have called it The Amiga 500 Book. They don't seem to mention much else.

mjnurney

Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
well to be honest , to most people ..the Amiga is the A500 & 2000

they made up the lions share of amiga sales but if your an aga fan then yes , not much to see here but lots of classic Amiga games are covered.

RichyV

A4000 lives once more! A1200 bits are going...
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Gloucestershire
Yes, these bookazines are made up from the articles within several of the mags themselves and the same criticism of A500 bias was levelled at the time...

acherion

Country
Australia
Region
Melbourne
I'm surprised when people say that the book is not easy to find — I am in Australia and I just ordered it online, came pretty quick from the UK.

Or is it much more expensive to buy online there than in the shops or something?

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
from where did you order it? it's been out of stock on the makers website for months.

acherion

Country
Australia
Region
Melbourne
I got it from the Imagine Shop UK website (I won't link here because I am still unsure about the rules of this kind of thing).

Admittedly, I just went there now and saw the "Out of Stock" label, I guess I was just lucky to visit the site at the right time and order it. Sorry.

mjnurney

Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
Links are ok to non auctions. A shop link is ok as far I'm aware.

its a new product anyway - so all good.

No stock - all gone

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 10.45.44.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 10.45.44.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

ad-rs1600i

AmiBayer
Country
Britain
Region
Northamptonshire
I think I am really glad I purchased it now as I didn't realise it was that rare..

It you're an AGA fan I wouldn't worry too much, whilst it doesn't cover the AGA hardware it does cover most the games that really that stood out during the later 80s, early 90s that I can think of with the exception of BASS and Gloom which I was slightly sad about. The mag, I feel, when talking about Amiga kind of refers to all the chips sets as one entity 'Amiga' like one might for a PC, that sort of generic terminology that is now synonymous.. unlike back in the day. For example, Simon the Sorcerer is reviewed which is AGA only I believe?

Besides, the AGA story I feel deserves a book in its own right to chronicle the story from OS3.0 to OS4.0 and Power PC technology etc. - it is quite remarkable really that given the right hardware it is possible to play Wipeout 2097 on an AGA Amiga!

Last edited:
Top Bottom