The Big Dilemma: PicassoIV or CVisionPPC

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Since I've bought a CSPPC plus a CVisionPPC combo a week now, I came face to face with my biggest dilemma till now.

At this moment, I'm surely have (possibly?) the best two graphic cards for the big-end Amigas. Although the most time, this is perfect in general, if you have more than one option, now this one is really killing me.

CVisionPPC is the best gfx card in terms of characteristics and performance of course, but the major problem is the lack of any SD/FF (especially a built-in one). So if I gonna have to do something about an SD/FF option, the only choice is the new Indivision 4000 AGA from Jens in conjuction with an internal monitor switch, but again, it will not be automatically like in PIV. I have to press the buttons to switch between RTG/Native Amiga modes, and that's really an option that I don't like too much. :(

On the other hand, PicassoIV is a state-of-the-art gfx card, with built-in automatic SD/FF, Paloma TV (very handy for me too, as I've connected my CD32 there via SVideo) and Pablo. Of course the performance isn't the same, that doesn't mean that the PicassoIV card isn't good. The opposite!!!

So, to sum it up. I really want your opinions about this. If you were in my position, what would you do?

I have to admit that keropi and Kinny have the first shot, as keropi is a master of ppc-related hardware and Kinny because of his ex-lover PIV.:p

...but I'm always open to hear as many opinions as possible from other members too. :)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Give both cards to me and stick with a A1084S. Problem solved!:mrgreen:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
@Phantom

to be honest unless you need the 3D accelleration aspect of Cybervision PPC then its relatively pointless. the CPPC wont do anything that the PIV can't do - Infact the PIV provides TV and Sound and a auto-switching scan doubler.

In my humble opinion (unless you are going to run a lot of warp 3D) I would keep the PIV - trade / sell on the CPPC.

In the future I would look towards a Promethus, for PCI adaptability - then thump in a spare voodoo 3 or higher - thus providing you with the Warp 3D capability at a reduced cost in the future.

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
_or_
pray to God, God(s), demons, even satan himself to find a Multimedia & Design Monitor Switch and then you can turn it to a fully-automatic switch in CGX like I did.
Rigardie now has this amiga btw, switching between g-rex4000-voodoo3/ArxonSD is done without any user input like on the picassoIV

it is also possible to make the monitor switch amigakit.com is selling an automatic one: switching depends on +5v presence: if none then there is always INPUT1 shown, if present then INPUT2 is shown. You could use the CGX patch that takes control of the parallel port pin #17 or #18 IIRC , and build a switch that provides (or not) said +5v to the switcher. The CGX patch patches CGX.library so pin control is enabled (YES they did thought of that when they made CGX) and whenever a CGX screen is shown the pin is enabled and sends a signal to the home-made switch which then sends 5v to the amigakit.com switch.

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
@ rkauer

:LOL:

@ Zetr0

I think you are right. So I can have Warp3D even with a PCI Voodoo card. Didn't know it to say the truth.

@ keropi

That's good news regarding the monitor switch of AmigaKit's. Did you do this hack by yourself? If I buy one who will fix this for me? I'll pay of course, and as you know, I'm not good at hacking.:)

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
I have not hacked amigakit's switch. All I know is it works with 5v signal, so it is possible to make a switch, that's all.

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Let's assume that I buy this internal switch. What I have to change there in order to make it automatic then? :help:

---------- Post added at 18:28 ---------- Previous post was at 17:22 ----------

@ Zetr0

Another question came up on my mind. Let's take the game WipeOut 2097 for an example.

This game needs a CSPPC to run. My question is?

Does it uses Warp3D? I believe it so, as it'a full 3D game. So, you must have CVisionPPC in order to play this, on PIV it will not play, eh?:unsure:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

@ Zetr0

Another question came up on my mind. Let's take the game WipeOut 2097 for an example.

This game needs a CSPPC to run. My question is?

Does it uses Warp3D?

Yes, I do believe that it does

I believe it so, as it'a full 3D game. So, you must have CVisionPPC in order to play this, on PIV it will not play, eh?:unsure:

The box scan claims the game needs a PPC AND a 3D RTG Card -

As far as I know, the PIV is not a 3D accelerated card, as its based on the Cirrus Logic GD5446 - a very fast chunky pixel card - its still not 3D accelerated - a planned 3D module was to be released but it never materialized =(

other that the BVison and the CPPC the only other card I know of is the Cybervision 64/3D (and its Mk2 varient)

However, it might be possible to setup Warp 3D as "software rendering", this will give a serious performace hit, even with a relatively fast PPC

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Yes, my first gfx card for my A4000 was this CV64/3D, unfortunately without the scandoubler, that's why I sold it.

Thanks for the answers though.(y)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Hi Phantom

I've not been to well the last few days & only just caught this thread, soz!

Since your recent acquisition of CSPPC & CVPPC, you now hold the best 2 options possible for an Amiga other than Voodoo & PIV.

Keep the PIV for all your gaming/default srceen mode needs.
Boot your Amiga into Workbench on the CVPPC @ a nice size like 1280 x 1024 in 32Bit. Run all your Desktop apps on the CVPPC in same 1280 x 1024 using something like ModePro or other such utility.

Easy peasy eh! :D

If the GF/Wife still insits something has to go, show her the door. :twisted:

Kin

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Hi Phantom

Since your recent acquisition of CSPPC & CVPPC, you now hold the best 2 options possible for an Amiga other than Voodoo & PIV.

Boot your Amiga into Workbench on the CVPPC @ a nice size like 1280 x 1024 in 32Bit. Run all your Desktop apps on the CVPPC in same 1280 x 1024 using something like ModePro or other such utility.

Easy peasy eh! :D

Kin

:ROTFLOL2: Im showing this to my GF, are you listening woman?! Im keeping ALL my Amigas! :run:

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Hi Phantom

Always welcome m8. Wish you recover fast. (y)

:nod:

Kin

Don't worry. This is always my first and only option... :p

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
The next question is can you run both gfx cards at once and span a Workbench desktop across two monitors? :p

Now that would be something drool-worthy.:drool::drool:

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
The next question is can you run both gfx cards at once and span a Workbench desktop across two monitors? :p

Now that would be something drool-worthy.:drool::drool:

Believe it or not, I've already thought of that, but didn't mention anything, as I didn't want to be so foolish... :Doh:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
not sure thats possible guys,

the Amiga has active screens, although its possible to issue output to the graphics card and leave it be while your on the native chipset, I am unsure if the processor could split upt the screen for both the CPPC (on a mini PCI) and the PIV (in the Z3)

not sayings not possible - but it would require a hell of lot of work and some custom software.

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
What I was thinking Zetr0, is to use the CVisionPPC as the primary gfx card, and when it comes to Amiga native modes to use the internal SD/FF of the PIV.

I don't know if that's possible though, but as you said, it might need a lot of work to do.:(

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
you could easly use two graphics cards independently, although you will need either two monitors - or a monitor switcher.

so either way you still endup with a monitor switcher.

theres some decent *and cheap* digital monitor switches out there that you could easly modifiy to fit internally - plumb both graphic outputs into it and then have one out - simply route a button to the front of the case..

you could look at signal call - this would make it automatic switching, although this is a little more complicated.

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Another solution that I thought, is to find a decent monitor with 2 separate VGA outputs to do the job (I don't know if such monitors do exist). With this way, I'll avoid to buy an internal switcher at least.

Mine, for example, has 3 different outputs (one for VGA, one DVI and one HDMI) and I can switch between them by a button which is a part of the monitor itself.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I use an Iiyama Prolite H430 monitor. It has two DVI-I inputs that can be used as VGA with an adapter. It's really handy for me since it also accepts the 15Hz standard Amiga modes.

Top Bottom