the end is nigh!

Elron Nightshade

AmiBayer
Country
Slough, UK
Region
Buckinghamshire
the end is nigh!!! for dial up and having your vintage pc online it seems. just been on the virgin media forums to ask what number to dial out for their dial up service only to find that it is discontinued, i have no BT line so cannot use their service, ARRRRGHHHH!!!!:banghead:

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
Virginmedia service stats says all is well with the PAYG number ... 0844 0544 020 is the one they state in the help pages

Elron Nightshade

AmiBayer
Country
Slough, UK
Region
Buckinghamshire
6p per minute

6p per min christ

That takes me back a bit.... to those heady days of £550 a quarter phone bills -.... ahhh good times..... damn BBS addiction

Exactly what i want this for!! still loads of good BBSs out there, needs to be done justice with authentic dial up

---------- Post added at 10:18 ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 ----------

Try these peeps http://www.fast4.net/dialup.htm

Plenty of other dialup providers out there - Google is your friend :)

they look good but i cant use them, i dont have a BT phone line connected atm:(

grahamit

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
London
6p per minute

6p per min christ

That takes me back a bit.... to those heady days of £550 a quarter phone bills -.... ahhh good times..... damn BBS addiction

Ahh yes, the happy days of going through the phone bill with my brother, picking out mine and his times on the net. My share went down when I set up a network and shared the connection... till he realised.:shhh: then there was violence...:Doh:

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
We might moan about broadband expenses, but its very true. Dialup was so expensive for such a slow and unreliable connection. I used to be with Demon and their Turnpike software used to log the time you were online and give a good estimate of how much you had spent. That was very useful. I used to have a jar by the computer and put money in it when I used the internet, so I had enough to pay the phonebill when it came. I don't think I clocked up quite such a high bill as £550, but I do remember spending over £80 in one month... not good when you are a student... it really eats into the beer money!

It was great when BT created the off peak dialup tarrif.. I forget what that was called, anyone remember? £15 a month for unlimited evening and weekend dialup access... but you did also need a subscription to an ISP to use it so it was a double expense still. BT did mess up my account though and I ended up only paying £15 per quarter for that service... and didn't feel I needed to tell them about their mistake... after all, such a large company should be able to notice these things. ;)

Station240

AmiBayer
Country
Adelaide,Australia
Region
South Australia
6p per minute

6p per min christ

I've seen far worse, AU$3,000 (about £7,000) :wooha:
Stupid phone company/ISP in one, told us it was a local call it wasn't. Only lucky part was they were on the verge of going bankrupt so we just screwed them around still they collapsed.

FOL

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Wales
I remember the days when virgin (NTL) gave free dialup internet.

Im glad they finally upped the UPLOAD cap to 2 MB/s. Makes having Boardband worth while.

Allen1

Country
England
Region
Northumberland
Why not fit a LAN card in your old PC, that way you can go for broadband it is a lot cheaper than dialup or maybe get a BT line as a last resort :unsure:

(the Modems generally have a LAN connector along with wireless capability)

Last edited:
Top Bottom