The hobbit - I'm going to finish it

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
Without cheating...

I'm going to complete the Hobbit on the c64 or at least try to. I have just bought the 1976 edition of the Hobbit from my local book shop for a £1

if thats not incentive , i don't know what is.

This is a game I've been playing since i got a zx spectrum in 1984 or 85 ...those damn bulbous eyes...

Attachments

• 17df4ed68b8603a302093e3489ba8187.jpg
    17df4ed68b8603a302093e3489ba8187.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 0

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Hey mate, nice to see people still playing text adventures, I was thinking that I was all alone. :LOL:

Currently playing Athanor on an Amstrad CPC 6128 (new game from Safar Games), and also playing The Pawn and Colossal Adventure on my A1200.

Last edited:

baz67

Country
UK
Region
East Yorkshire
Brilliant to hear, fellas.
Test adventures really do take us right back to the early days... eg. Colossal Cave Adventure and the superb Level 9 stuff incl. Snowball - wonderful - our imaginations let loose...

Athanor has also been released on the Oric... might be tempted to have a dabble.
Can you recommend it, Phantom?
BAZ67

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
I had the pawn and the guild of thieves on the Amiga but i never got very far ....i will have to revisit them :)

Athanor ?? i don't know that one?

Last edited:

baz67

Country
UK
Region
East Yorkshire
Last edited:

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Well, Athanor is the first part of an upcoming trilogy. The first game of the series will be a tribute to the very first text/graphics adventures, so don't expect so much colorful graphics to say the least. But they serve their purpose very well in-game. Also don't expect the parser to be in the level of Infocom, Magnetic Scrolls or Level 9's masterpieces, but the scenario and the atmosphere of the game is indeed very good. Remember, the first game is a tribute to the very first text adventures, that's why the presentation.

The best part really is the package itself. It comes with many feelies inside, a map of the abbey where the adventure takes place, piece of cloth, 7 clue cards which you have to decipher them inside the game in specific areas of the game in order to proceed, and a final clue card inside a sealed envelope. Perfect job, really mates.

I think it worths every penny, and the sequel will be with colorful pictures and much better parser of course.

Last edited:

kenshigros

Country
France
Region
Saint-Tropez
Hello and good to hear you want to end this game but it is not going to be easy
one of the first I played which tricked me as it is almost alive and as its own artificial intelligence if I may say so.
I loved when people in the game come and go in front of your eyes but the game is quite difficult to succeed (for me).
I remember playing on C64 and got a walkthru from another machine and wasn't quite the same actually so the direction or the syntax was faulty and got lost...
Personaly I love this game and never end it also
Good luck man

Alex

baz67

Country
UK
Region
East Yorkshire
It sounds like we need to invest in a copy, Mike.
Just get that Hobbit home first, avoiding dragons, orcs n beer monsters...LOL!
Have a good weekend adventuring, guys.
BAZ67

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
The Hobbit was one of my favourite books growing up, but I never played the graphic adventure.

I did love the Level 9 adventures though.

RobA1200

Country
England
Region
watford
is there any guides or clues to the the structure of text adventures? i always fall into the trap of not looking or writing wide enough or repeating things. i ve got hitchhikers guide text ad that id like to do some progress to. but I'm a real text beginner. thanks

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
You should start with some more easy adventures, than those from Infocom's. All of them are moderate/hard difficulty. Try Level 9 adventures.

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
i haven't finished this either..

does anyone know if its also on the cpc? cant be @rsed to have a look

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
If you're talking about The Hobbit, yes it was released on CPC as well, probably on cassette only.

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
ive managed to get the disk version for the cpc,ill try it out when i get a sec:D

kenshigros

Country
France
Region
Saint-Tropez
Hi again
I don't mean to be stubborn but was it this game in particular when you decide to draw a map for direction it seems akward because when you go for example in North direction and come back South quickly you won't be in the exact position...
Perhaps to be old has effect on my memory but there was a game at the time when I really really wanted to end by drawing a map and got nervous because there wasn't any logical afterall.
Anyone remembers the same but perhaps wasn't this game or was it on Oric Atmos......
Ouch...
Thanks for reading

Alex

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Many text adventures have this "problem" you're talking about, but actually it's the nature of the adventure. Even the drawing of a map sometimes is a nice and difficult puzzle by its own. This one you're experiencing is not awkward design of the map, it's just how the game is designed. Not everything is N, E, S and W though. Use your imagination when you draw a map, and always read the description of each room, mostly it contains vital information about the scenery and its exits, and how they are connected together. Imagine to play Snowball from Level 9; It will take ages to understand how the maping works, approx. 7000 locations. :D

Last edited:

kenshigros

Country
France
Region
Saint-Tropez
Hi
I wouldn't agree
Unless the coder of the game meant to be that way I understand but a few games did have this flow I was talking about
You type N on keyboard and then S and you won't be at the sane place
Unless the program is meant that way I call this bad programing ...,
I have played quite a lot of text adventures before on C64 and followed by Amiga and then later using emulators on Apple II and Spectrum....
The problem with my life is time and I never had time enough to end evry games I started....
But I agree with you with complexity and weird games are far more interesting insdeed
3D killed the text adventure?

Cheers

Alex

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
As I said, this is not a flaw.

You type N and then S and you're not in the same place. Think how the map works a little bit. That means that the path is not straight and makes a curve which goes somewhere else.

Top Bottom