The home of teh Brave (not)

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901
Why do americans have to be so self absorbed? I really dislike this place after visiting Hong Kong and China. The public education system has been more an obstacle to my education than an asset, I REALLY hate the arrogant red-necks where I live, being so racist and arrogant. I mean, this country's democracy is NOTHING special. Most, if not all western european democracy systems have similar and more efficient functionality. Everyday, criminals walk free, the copyright grows ever more ominous, the bribery and fraud, greed more widespread. WHYYYYYYYYYYY?

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Re: The home of teh Brave (not)

Say what you mean DC270mhz, don't hold back, will you? :laugh:

Posts like this have a high potential for being flamebait and 'troll central', so I am going to be watching this thread in the background.

:popcorn:

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

at the risk of Merlin's terrible wrath
surely you are showing the same traits you abhor by posting this comment?

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

I'll take the bait.

It's the same most places.

Let me tell you about Norway:

We're the best country to live in, and not only we say that but plenty of UN and OECD-reports say so too. Also we are the most compassionate people, and least racist people.

I guess that is why Norway's second largest political party suggested that all immigrants should be arrested upon arrival in Norway, and sent to a refugee camp in Africa (they would build it if they came to power). All immigrants would be sent to such a camp, regardless of their nationality or legality. Upondetermining their fate, they would be allowed to come to Norway, or they would be kicked out of camp.

Also, I think it's our compassion that has elderly sleeping in beds in corridors, and kept sedated so that they'll stay in bed all day.

Self righteousness and arrogance is ripe everywhere. What is important is that we spot it and meet it with dialogue.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

^^^ well put that man.

so long as it is sensible dialogue and not just "I hate x because....."

cheers, JuvUK

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

@ Arnljot

There's something not quite right with Norwegians on the culinary front, I have found. Why does everything in Norway have to be swimming in mayonnaise? Is it a law in Norway, can you explain this please?

At least, that's my experience from the Norwegians I've met over the years, when working on offshore projects.

@ DC270mhz

Most Americans never leave the town or city they were born in. They need to appreciate the wider World and the varying cultures, instead of trying to force American values on others. It probably stems from the domination of native Americans when white men first landed there, along with the false sense of self-importance brought about by enslaving Africans; it simply became too embedded in the American culture.

On the bravery front, I think my Dad (who was a drill sergeant in the British Army) summed things up nicely when he said that the Americans "All want to be John Wayne or Audie Murphy. There's nothing more dangerous than an American with a gun." What I think he was getting at is that there is an underlying lack of discipline and cohesion in the US Military that needs to change. Too many US soldiers get killed trying to win the battle alone.

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands

It isn't a problem with Americans or any other Natiionality it is a problem with people, by your description of "the rednecks where you live" I can compare your experiences with mine at a typical English pub. (Luckily not everyone is like that)

There are very few people that can act in a Christian manner (and no I do not mean being religious just the values represented by Christianity).

I look at it as a challenge myself, I will always stand up against racism or any other form of hate to others hoping that in my own small way I can change thier views or at least make them question what they are saying. Interestingly I find that having a one to one conversation with some of them shows more often than not that they do not have as strong views as they do when they are with thier mates.

Gary

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

JuvUK said:
and at this point i think i shall walk away :whistle:

I take it from your post that the observations made within this thread adequately cover the subject matter and that the level of moderation is appropriate?

Thanks to all so for for the balanced responses and observations. It's important that topics like these don't descend into flame wars, whilst still allowing others to share their views.

(y)

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

@Merlin,
i just think this is a delicate subject and prone to generalisations, there is also a high probability of posts being mis-read or poorly worded causing offence to someone. And as i'm almost famous for putting my foot in it, i'd leave this conversation before it gets out of hand. having said that, no the thread and moderation is so far so good (y)

cheers, JuvUK

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

No problemo, JuvUK; a wise man knows his limits.

I must admit that my responses thus far have been carefully crafted and I am watching the thread, just in case things start going off on one.

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

@Merlin
Yes, we do like mayo. We're a maritime country. Most of it is coastline and we've found that mayo goes well with shrimp and fish. Also it goes well with eggs and meat too :)

Now, what saddens me is that it's only one type of mayo for Norwegians and little will to try something new. French mayo (many variations!) are excellent.

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

@ Arnljot

That sounds like all Norwegians have been indoctrinated into "You shall have Mayo" and if there's only one type, surely it's a Government conspiracy and a market cartel at work.....??

:mrgreen:

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

:mrgreen:

Some years ago, just before 2000 or shortly after. Telia and Telenor were in merger talks. Telia being the state owned sweedish tele operator, and Telenor the norwegian one.

It fell through, and one of the bitter sweedes said after that as to why it failed: "Norway is the last soviet state". Also meaning that not even Russia is that (but let's not bring up Putin).

I think he were right, but as a former communist it pleases me :) LOL

RedDaemonFox

AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901

sounds like a fun country, Let me put my views on america a little less... angrily...
After learning how corrupt our politicians mostly are, spreading propaganda and never doing a dang thing for anyone else but themselves. As arnljot wrote, his country at least seems to be doing something productive. Look at west virginia, my neighboring state. As we speak, clean coal propaganda, deforestation and waste is being produced because the state cannot control the coal and oil companies. Look at my state, Virginia. As I rant about it here, my area protests our new president's actions, begging congress to return to old tradition. Our rural education system is becoming dust as more and more burnouts are pumped out. Bad people :stick: bad! I don't, knbow, maybe I'm going wacko :nuts: but I mean it when people are gonna jeopardize what our dear old founding fathers worked their big rears off to do, so all the people shou stop :argue: and get something done! :pissed: :banghead: pHEW THAT'S ALL.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS

Unfortunately, corruption and misogyny is not USA exclusivity.

Here in my own country we have those plagues grassing around, too. This in a country totally made by immigrants!

Lack of education and culture can be the culprits, but I don't really know if just educating people will be enough.

People who look only into their own bellybuttons cause more damage than well-intended people can deal.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Interesting stuff to read & yet Nationality has nothing to do with it really. Don't get me wrong, different cultures can play a big part, but most folks minds are too damned narrow, that's all. If religon was taken out tof the equation & replaced with science, the world would be a better place to live in.
Having been to Florida a couple of times, I find the racist lean towards blacks quite aplorable. Go into Jacksonville for a coffee & you will be asked to move to the white seating area if you're in the wrong section. Those that move have narrow minds & the ones asking you to move, need to get a life! :nod:

Kin

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

@Kin Hell

Niiiice, with religion brought into this mix. This is truely "Topic 42". Life and everything.

Now, many close minded people make the false equation between "science = ambition", "religion = morals". What tempers science if we have no humility, ethics or morals? Bah...

Don't answer Kin, this is just a mess :)

@Thread

On corruption. We have all kinds in Norway. But the open "Let me bribe you" kind is very rare. Also the "now pay this into-my-pocket-fee to move things along" is also very very rare.

Now what we have in abundance are the two other way more sneaky kinds:
1) Local politician has a cousing who can... And what do you know, the new school is built at 200% cost

And the worst:
2) Every one knows whats good for the economy... So ofcourse we are going to set moral and ethics aside when we make new laws. DRM is good. Root kits are good. Copyright is good....

So as many other places in the world. One common saying is true in Norway too: "Follow the money".

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

I hear ya Arnljot & know where you're coming from. (y)

Money, the root of all evil causing greed & chaos. Certainly won't be missing all that bollox when my time comes to pass. If they cock my funeral up & bury me by mistake, I hope I'm upside down so the world can kiss my ass! :p

Kin

RedDaemonFox

AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901

Well, on kin's religion issue, I agree for the abrahamic ones, :eek:fftopic: I know, so getting back to it. I hate copyright laws which say I can't make copies of 10+ year old games that no one sells anymore and give it out. The funny thing is that even if you offer to pay for the copies you make they say no. America, I'll say, is becoming the land of taking advantage. Look at conservative views: want's to keep tradition, want's to reduce business regulation, etc... it's fine they want to, but those two beliefs would drain the country economically and destroy worker's rights. Look at republicans; to stop the spiral, reduce spending, well, what really should be done is all the paper money turned into banks be shredded and the printing should be reduced, then our dollar value will be saved.

If you don't like the way it's going... i'll just :run:

Top Bottom