The perfect A1200

RuneRider

A1000 Keeper of the Faith
Country
Canada
Region
Alberta
I'm wondering if any of you could tell me what parts to find that would make up a great Amiga 1200.

I want to use the machine as a showcase for all that is Amiga and would like to update it and install an HDD replacement as well as an accelerator board, more memory etc.

Any build lists that you think would make a great machine that has easy to obtain parts would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.

NovaCoder

Nova
Country
Australia
Region
Victoria
It really depends on what you want to 'showcase' :p

If you are just after a Classic gaming set up then grab yourself an ACA 1221 and a CF card...job done!

Or you could forget the HD idea and go for a floppy drive emulator.

If you want to showcase the newer games and demos then you'll need an overclocked 060, something like a 100Mhz Apollo 1260 would do nicely :cool:

If you want to showcase productivity applications then you might be better off with an RTG machine.

You also want to think about your display setup which makes a huge difference (SCART or Indivision AGA) and LCD or CRT

Last edited:

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
i started down this route...

A1200
3.1 roms / OS3.9
PowerPC
graphics
CF Hdd
cd-rom
and pain ..lots of pain.

and hundreds of hours later , decided the 060 route and software render is the most stable high performance Amiga.

So i suggest and 80-100mhz 060 and a lot of Demos and PC Ports to show people.

mike.

RuneRider

Country
Canada
Region
Alberta
It really depends on what you want to 'showcase' :p

True. I just want a general great all-round machine with a great many things to show those looking over my collection. The CF card idea really makes sense.

P.S. I see you live in Victoria. We just moved home from a year in the metropolis of Wangaratta. :)

- - - Updated - - -

i started down this route...

A1200
3.1 roms / OS3.9
PowerPC
graphics
CF Hdd
cd-rom
and pain ..lots of pain.

and hundreds of hours later , decided the 060 route and software render is the most stable high performance Amiga.

So i suggest and 80-100mhz 060 and a lot of Demos and PC Ports to show people.

mike.

Thanks. The more I read the more I think that the common first things are: CF drive, 060 and memory upgrade board.

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
An 060 card or 040 / 060 card can accept a minimum of 32mb -Apollo or 64mb with a mod or extra ram socket fitted. A blizzard 060 take 128 or 256mb with the SCSI add on :)

-Acid-

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
South Shields
Use real hard drives imo, proven to last for decades and you get immense amounts of space for virtually no money these days (even 30gb in an Amiga is mammoth).

RuneRider

Country
Canada
Region
Alberta
An 060 card or 040 / 060 card can accept a minimum of 32mb -Apollo or 64mb with a mod or extra ram socket fitted. A blizzard 060 take 128 or 256mb with the SCSI add on :)

Yup, that's the sort if thing I'm considering. (y)

- - - Updated - - -

Use real hard drives imo, proven to last for decades and you get immense amounts of space for virtually no money these days (even 30gb in an Amiga is mammoth).

That is true. I could still fill an HDD with the same files. Won't make the decision until I have an A1200 in very good condition to use as a base machine.

Top Bottom