The rebirth of the Amiga case! A new A1200-Project is born

Neil79

Country
UK
Region
Kent
11402756_10205311628374350_2192393759377674972_o.jpg

After the recent success of the new coloured cases and keycaps for the C64 such as blue, black and red, it probably wouldn't surprise you to know that new case molds are also being created for the Amiga. Although this was mentioned a few days ago, we decided to wait and see if this project was actually coming and not just a rumour. Sure enough through our Commodore Amiga Facebook group of over 10,000 members, Philippe Lang has announced new Amiga case molds and also the possibility of different colours!

http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/07/the-rebirth-of-amiga-case-new-project.html

Matt3o

Country
Italy
Region
Florence
the only thing I would miss is the "Amiga" text on the right...

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
Excellent news , lots of Amiga cases are pretty battered now
Without license they shouldn't say Commodore or Amiga on them :)

Last edited:

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
If they're making the case from scratch instead of using existing molds, a few improvements would be in order:
- opening for a CF card
- opening and integrated brackets for a slimline optical drive
- opening for VGA/DVI connector

Stoobs

Country
United Kingdom
Region
Suffolk
I hope it's blank rather than trying to brand it "A1200" or similar - Waiting for more information with interest! :)

timmie

Country
Netherlands
Region
Utrecht
From a Facebook post:

I do CONFIRM you that was an early image we used for our landing page.
There will be NO text, no A1200 and no AMIGA text on the new housings.

I understand that some of you may have wanted AMIGA text to be embedded as the original is. But the name is still under copyright.
And we don't want to force A-Fans with a "A1200" text instead.
So we've decided to left this place blank.
You'll get a nice and sleek housings, with the real touch and smooth surface as the original one wink emoticon

Regarding the Bigger Slot, i see your suggestion very valid, and here are my thoughts about it:
- The extra slot is on the side, not clearly visible
- If not used, it offers an extra vent !

With bigger slot he's referring to making the PCMCIA slot bigger conform Kipper2k specs for his angled CF IDE board.

BLTCON0

Math inside
AmiBayer
Country
Hellas (Greece)
Region
Chania, Crete
That's nice news. I wonder if the new cases will feature the slightly warped front-left section of the bottom part :)

Amenophis

Country
Singapore
Region
Singapore
Hi A-Lovers ;)

Phil here, from "New A1200 Computer Housing Kickstarter Project".
First i'd like thank the admin who activated my account. 10K+ kudos (y)

Regarding our project, we're blessed with so much support fro all of you guys !
In 2015, feeling that there is still so much people who love their miggy like we are, this is just awesome.

All this started for the need we have to get new casings for ourselves..
But we didn't wanted to get used ones (and yellowed of course) off from ebay or any other channel.
We wanted NEW housings.. Brand new ones ! No yellowing, with a better plastic and enhancements...
Where to get that ?
No were... sadly.

Solution ? Scan in 3D print 2 cases just for ourselves...
mmm.. not interested. We wanted the real deal.
This project then came to life overnight !

Please follow our progression on our FB page and get all latest news and housings specs:
https://www.facebook.com/a1200housings

Do not hesitate to ask questions, post comments. We're totally open to any discussion & suggestions.

More important:
Spread the word to all A-Fan and A-user out there ;)

Thank to all of you for your out standing support.
The A1200-Project Team.

Last edited:

Neil79

Country
UK
Region
Kent
Clipboard01.jpg

When I was growing up one of the computers that really sticks close to my retro gaming heart was the 90's Amiga, from the A500 to the A1200 both of them such incredible computers that it pretty much made me the gamer I am today. So it would come as no surprise to you I also have many original games plus an original A1200 system ready to be played. But this is where our attention is drawn, to the latest New A1200 Computer Housing Project Kickstarter by Philippe Lang, which is set to take the retro gaming scene by storm!

http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/07/new-a1200-computer-housing-project.html

LAUNCHED!!

BLTCON0

Math inside
AmiBayer
Country
Hellas (Greece)
Region
Chania, Crete
I'm not really a fan of alternative colours, but that grey is total riot :)

Another design consideration might be modifying the custom drive opening into a standard 3.5" bay rectangle opening, to make installation of Goteks or modded PC drives (which is becoming the norm these days) straightforward.
With the Goteks either hacking the case is required or suffer inconvenient access through the narrow opening.
With PC drives, sawing off part of the top frame and doing ugly button mods is also required.

I know this would take away some of the "Amiga touch" of the case but on the other hand this case, with all the other modifications already considered, seems to be largely practicality-and-modern-trends oriented.

Towards the same direction, the modulator opening could be somewhat enlarged for easier access to the various stuff commonly installed there.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, there have been at least two variations of the A1200 case, with a minor difference regarding screwholes in the drive area, depending on which motherboard revision they were to house.

Rev 1A and 1B boards only have a hole aligned to the mouse port. Full-size rev 1Ds (1D.1 through 1D.3) have two holes, aligned to the joystick and mouse ports respectively. The cut-short 1D.4 naturally only has a hole aligned to the joystick port, and rev 2B only has a mouse-port aligned hole.

So the new case should feature both holes to accommodate all motherboards.

demolition

AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
I would also say that a grey one would look very nice. :)

I think the need for A1200 cabinets would be smaller than the C64 since there are plenty of nice A1200s out there due to the many NOS ones sold by Petro through the years. I have one which looks mint and has absolutely no yellowing.

The idea with making a space for the HxC display is nicely done, but in my opinion floppy emulators are less interesting to use in a 1200 which is not commonly used to boot floppy games. It would make more sense to use an A500 for that for compatibility. I can't really see what I would use a floppy emulator for in a 1200. Even with degraders and relokick, you will still run into compatibility problems with many old games. Perhaps it would make sense if they made an A600 cabinet (which I would like since there are not many nice 600s left out there), but the market for that is probably much smaller. :)

Last edited:

Amenophis

Country
Singapore
Region
Singapore
Rev 1A and 1B boards only have a hole aligned to the mouse port. Full-size rev 1Ds (1D.1 through 1D.3) have two holes, aligned to the joystick and mouse ports respectively. The cut-short 1D.4 naturally only has a hole aligned to the joystick port, and rev 2B only has a mouse-port aligned hole.

So the new case should feature both holes to accommodate all motherboards.

Hi Bltcon,

Nicely done, you pointed out our design precisely.
I was wondering when someone would came up with this issue (which has indeed already been addressed)

Regarding other enhancements, well frankly we're not going that way for several reasons.
Cost first.
And there is as many different voices throughout the Amiga community that there people in it ;)
So it's very difficult to please the more...

We've even decided to run a poll at the end of the campaign, for backers to decide whenever they want to get rid of one or some of the enhancements.

Thanks to all of your for your astounding support ;)
Regards,
Phil

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
When I first saw this, I was rather surprised it was worth the bother. I've had a lot of A1200s go through my hands over the years and most of the cases have been in pretty good nick. Some needed cleaning or a bit of retr0bright, but were basically undamaged.

The thing that appeals to me is that these have come along at exactly the same time as the announcement of replacement A1200 motherboards. The idea of buying a new board and a new design case is very tempting indeed!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if I'm not mistaken, there have been at least two variations of the A1200 case, with a minor difference regarding screwholes in the drive area, depending on which motherboard revision they were to house.

The cases are the same. The original A1200 case was designed to accommodate both ports, as on the original motherboard. When the 1D.4 came along with the second port on a cable, it was simply mounted in the same place.

Rakeim132

Country
Australia
Region
Gold Coast
Personally I'll go for 4 of them. :)
What I think is they should include slim CD trapdoor and Keeper or someone should work on an angled CF card version with an extra IDE connector like ATAPI interface... I'm sure it can be designed relatively easily for someone knowledgeable.
Then I'll wait for the A600 case and will order 10. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom