The WORST battery damage you will probably ever see in your life.

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Well these pictures speak ALOT louder then words, must warn you silicon lovers out there. This is NOT for the faint hearted!

This is what I was greeted by when I saw the Macintosh IIFX, this is exactly why you need to check them nasty time-bomb batteries!

Damage on the mobo:
IMG_3623.jpg

The culprit:
IMG_3624.jpg

Reverse of Mobo:
IMG_3626.jpg

Closer view:
IMG_3627.jpg

Mess on the plastic sheet:
IMG_3629.jpg

Rust on the casing caused by the battery:
IMG_3630.jpg

You would think being Lithium batteries they don't leak but you couldn't be more wrong. Worse still, there where 2 of them buggers in there originally. One simply dropped out and even that looked bad enough. The other is jammed right into the pastic casing! :eek:

I have seen damage that's burned a deep hole into mobos but never quite so messy and wide-spread as this! It is a total write off since it has actually de-socketed chips and the whole battery casing just lifted out. Me thinks I will have to find an FX mobo which I can imagine that will be easy. :(

The story with the Mac II on the other hand is a much cleaner affair, though she won't power up. No idea why since I have tried 2 PSU's and both look pretty good (no signs of a blowout at all).

IMG_3625.jpg

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Urgh! :blink: At least its a Mac ;) lol

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
:(
reminds me the Amstard MEGA-PC (a combination of a 386sx pc and a SEGA megadrive in the same case!) I got some years ago from ebay: the condition was similar and I never restored it, it just refused to work...

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Wow & I thought an A4KD mobo I bought from Ireland 4 years ago was bad. :|

The pics below are the result of Battery leakage getting right to the back of the mobo....

Kin

Attachments

• Mobo 2 A4000B Eeek 02.jpg
    Mobo 2 A4000B Eeek 02.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Mobo 2 A4000B Eeek 01.jpg
    Mobo 2 A4000B Eeek 01.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Bloody hell! That's pretty severe! :-( And I thought my A3k had it bad...

tokyoracer

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Yeah it's pretty bad though it's a Mac I would have rarther been working though since it's the fastest 68030 Mac (as far as I know).
Thankfully I rescued the CPU and FPU (along with the PSU and GFX card) from this machine and put the FPU into my Blizz 030 and appars to book ok with it (one assumes it works). :)

CPU is untested at the moment though.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

Kin

Did you ever get it working again Kin?

No Taj. I pulled the ROM's & lobbed it straight into the skip. :|

<snip>

and put the FPU into my Blizz 030 and appars to book ok with it (one assumes it works). :)

Use the attached Flops test to make sure the FPU is working. ;)
Assumption can make an Ass out of yourself & the person you're assuming with. :LOL:

Just extract to Ram & run from there or put it in a folder on your Hard drive if you need to. (y)

Kin

Attachments

• AFLOPS.LHA
    86.4 KB · Views: 0

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
bad idea

bad idea

Nice, I don't care about mac, but is that restorable :eek:

I am thinking that the battery replacing done by many of us is actually a bad idea. I think we would be better of adding a battery pack with a wire, and pins on the motherboard, placing the battery pack in a drive bay or next the psu or something where it can leak. and some velcro in between.

tokyoracer

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
Nice, I don't care about mac, but is that restorable :eek:

I am thinking that the battery replacing done by many of us is actually a bad idea. I think we would be better of adding a battery pack with a wire, and pins on the motherboard, placing the battery pack in a drive bay or next the psu or something where it can leak. and some velcro in between.
I actually though about this alot in the past. It's a damn good idea and there's no reason why it wouldn't work. Pros are that it's alot cheaper and easier to replace. Cons are that AA's or AAA's are alot more prone to leaking sooner and quicker and you would have to do a bit of soldering work (obviously).

Sadly theres no way in hell this mobo is repairable. :( I might give it a damn good wash with water to see how bad it really is inder the mess (for S***s and giggles I suppose).

Kin

Did you ever get it working again Kin?

No Taj. I pulled the ROM's & lobbed it straight into the skip. :|

<snip>

and put the FPU into my Blizz 030 and appars to book ok with it (one assumes it works). :)

Use the attached Flops test to make sure the FPU is working. ;)
Assumption can make an Ass out of yourself & the person you're assuming with. :LOL:

Just extract to Ram & run from there or put it in a folder on your Hard drive if you need to. (y)

Kin
I sure hope it's just the mobo that went in the skip.

I will do a proper test on the FPU sometime as soon as I get the floppy working (argh). I dont like assuming but I thought i'd mention it.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Yeah it's pretty bad though it's a Mac I would have rarther been working though since it's the fastest 68030 Mac (as far as I know).

Yes, it is. IIfxes have 40MHz '030 CPUs, which is as fast as Apple ever went with the '030.

I'd still love to track down Quadra 950 or 840av though ;-)

tokyoracer

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
I 2nd that. I am really into 68k Macs now but finding working older models seems to get harder and harder now. :(

I should be getting a Quadra 630 next month which I think is the fastest ever 68k Mac being as it's the full fat 040 (not LC) and is at 33Mhz. :)

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
@ tokyoracer

Just the Mobo, but two of them. The other board had one of it's CIA chips ripped off. I say ripped off because some of the board tracks were clearly hanging out of the mobo. (n)

Kin

Attachments

• Mobo 1 A4000B CIA 04.jpg
    Mobo 1 A4000B CIA 04.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 0

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
^^^^^^

Total fubar & the worst I have seen on any platform. The battery alone just looks like a block of rust! :blink:

68k Mac's are really hard to come by thesedays. I can't even remember the last time I saw one on the other bay.

Kin

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I 2nd that. I am really into 68k Macs now but finding working older models seems to get harder and harder now. :(

I should be getting a Quadra 630 next month which I think is the fastest ever 68k Mac being as it's the full fat 040 (not LC) and is at 33Mhz. :)

D*MNIT! I wish I still had those Quadra 700s!

Top Bottom