Not open for further replies.

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
Folks, I just wanted to say for the record that I love Amibay. I've sold lots of stuff so far and have started to become part of this amazing, small but perfectly formed community.

I also think that the work put in by all the Mods and Devs is second to none BUT the announcement today was unnecessary in it's detail. Whatever goes on between the people responsible for the site should stay between them and although I agree that an announcement regarding Zetr0's role in Amibay was appropriate; the level of output was not and could pretty much be construed as a character assassination.

Poor form guys.

(n)

John

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
Our friend Kieth

Our friend Kieth

I was going to post this in a new thread, but meanwhile this popped up.

Here is my thoughts:
First let me say this to Zetr0
Sorry to see the news today my friend. I hope you know that the users here consider you valued and cherised fellow member.

You are a great guy and what ever happened behind closed doors is none of my business, but I hope that when this is thing becomes old news, that you still will chosse to spend time with us here.

To other members and staff, I hope that despite the dramatic announcement that we can keep the tone civil and rather show of our appreciation of Keiths contributions in the community.

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
and i am afraid it only gives one side of the story, I await for a response from Kieth to give his side too.

VERY SAD news indeed :mad:

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
<snip>..... BUT the announcement today was unnecessary in it's detail.<snip>....... I agree that an announcement regarding Zetr0's role in Amibay was appropriate; the level of output was not

Despite what I posted above. I had the same feeling reading this. I was going to PM the admin team about my thoughts on that.

However I think that it´s an voilatile situation now, and we should try to keep calm.

We have like imnogeek points out only one side of the story. It´s very unfortunate that we have any side of the story at all. When a member of staff departures they should agree on what to say when that happens. It´s common practice elsewhere. If the situation was too heated to agree on that, even less should be said.

I´m sure the remaining team felt that they should said what has been said, and it´s easy to see that a lot of editorial effort has gone into the text. But it´s possible that not eough cooling time has.

Keith has been very friendly and welcoming person on this site. He has helped me many times here, and still is. As many others of you great people. I consider most of us here online friends if I may be so bold to use that term.

A conflict like this in a group of friends should be contained between those concerned, and thus I´m full circle back to my original comment.

I´m sure the remaining team recognizes Keiths contribution to AmiBaY, not only the site it self, but also it´s members and it´s community spirit.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
WTF!!!

dictatorship? really? Senior members of 4 people deciding the rules and not including the other staff members is democracy? if the senior 4 wish to make the rules ahead of the collective membership then in a real democracy the senior members rules would have to be ratified by an independent group of members before moving the motion to the wider membership.
this is not democracy this is majority rule, and if the senior 4 are all good friends or even just loyal to one then that one can make any rule he likes knowing that the others will just follow. Also to be noted that if a rule is deemed to be too important then it can be enforced and put into place by the four without any consultation with anyone.
this is a dark day indeed and i look forward to a logical response that doesn't end up with me being warned or banned

JuvUK

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
It is with sadness that we post this announcement to you all. Today we have taken the decision to remove Zetr0 from his AmiDev post on the AmiBay site team. We expect you to be shocked by this announcement and we feel that you all deserve an explanation as to why.

There have always been some creative differences at times within the core Administrator team, however, we have usually been able to resolve these, through discussions and debates. However, some decisions have been taken at times where all of the members have not been in total agreement and this came to a head in April.

This decision was not easy for us to take at all, as Zetr0 was one of the founder members of the site; however, over time, differences in the vision held by Zetr0 in relation to that shared by the other Admins is such that we feel that we must part company. We hope that over time Zetr0 comes to understand that the decision was taken without any malice or prejudice, and that it was the result of a difference in fundamental ideas as to how the site should be run that has led to this unfortunate event.

This is what the announcement could have looked like.

JuvUK. This is what I think they want you to wait for:
The coming weeks will be difficult, and we ask you to bear with us, as we are working on a site Constitution that we will put forward shortly for a vote that will ensure that such an event cannot happen again, as democratic voting and processes will be put into place to secure the stability of the site for the future. This constitution will be put in place to give all members a chance to have their say in how Amibay is run, the aim being to provide stability and transparency in what we do and allow the site to grow & take direction as the site's membership requires.

Meanwhile Keith has posted his own comments on him being pulled out of the admin team.

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
Indeed he has and I see Merlin has followed up. It looks like that thread will get very heated and I'm staying well clear of it. I made my original point and stand by it and everyone who has commented subsequently seems to be of the same feeling.

If this were a corporate site - that post would have been pulled by HR the second it hit the forum. As mentioned earlier, I'm only just getting more involved in Amibay and I'm really enjoying my time here but I can't help feeling that this is the start of some pretty unfortunate times for the site and us all.

J

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
I´m not staying out of this.

And I´m taking sides too. The users side. There are at least three sides to this issue. And I have sympathy with Keith, but I don´t know what happened up to today. But the point you brought up should be brought home to the admins.

Now when the admins post have burst the bubble, it´s going to affect us unfortunately. So I´ll be a voice in this, if only to speak my mind as a user who feel that our site (as the admins put it in the announcement) has been tarnished.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
@ Skilgannon nah m8, you know what? no matter how bad and wrong this situation is, the site will continue and the trading will go on, and as for the chat side of things, new people will come and take over that as well, so no matter who stabbed who or whatever rules are forced through by majority rule the site will go on.

JuvUK

---------- Post added at 11:10 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

And I´m taking sides too. The users side. There are at least three sides to this issue. And I have sympathy with Keith, but I don´t know what happened up to today. But the point you brought up should be brought home to the admins.

Now when the admins post have burst the bubble, it´s going to affect us unfortunately. So I´ll be a voice in this, if only to speak my mind as a user who feel that our site (as the admins put it in the announcement) has been tarnished.

if i had posted a thread like the senior members i would have been banned or at least warned! talk about creating a problem and starting a flame war, it comes to something when the people running and protecting the site cause the problems

Last edited:

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
everything is wrong on so many counts.

It is sad to see how they "justified" what they are doing.

I have no trust anymore

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I trust ya =)

I also trust the community of the site, it will do what it needs to do.

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G

Hi Arnljot - I'm certainly not staying out of it, but I'm not going to get into the war of words that is likely to only get worse on Zetr0's thread. I think this thread is as good a place as any for us to show our feelings about how this has been handled.

I'm also not taking sides as such (mainly because I am not privy to what went on to date) but I do know that from personal experience Zetr0 has been nothing but gracious, helpful and a valuable part of this site; as have the others.

@JuvUK - totally agree that everything will continue but given how this has come about I think the trust in the folk left running this site has diminished a bit because of this situation and how they have handled it.

Cheers

John

J

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
i too find myself in an awkward situation, yes i have read the "constitution" and yes it is an afront on all things "Amibay" there is no democracy in it at all, i'm afraid i have to follow Gary's lead and look for a new forum to annoy.

i'm truly sorry for the members of this once great site that have been treated so badly.

JuvUK

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
if i had posted a thread like Harrison's i would have been banned or at least warned! talk about creating a problem and starting a flame war, it comes to something when the people running and protecting the site cause the problems

Let me just point out that Harrison is one of four signatures.

It´s Merlin, TheCorifot, AndyLandy and Harrison. So it´s the Administration team.

We as members and community need to treat the message as such.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
if i had posted a thread like Harrison's i would have been banned or at least warned! talk about creating a problem and starting a flame war, it comes to something when the people running and protecting the site cause the problems

It´s Merlin, TheCorifot, AndyLandy and Harrison. So it´s the Administration team.

agreed, and post edited to reflect this

User1301

Deactivated
Deactivated
Country
S
Region
G
And now Imnogeek has quit! This is snowballing people. The people who signed this ridiculous message to begin with need a sensible, well constructed (i.e the polar opposite of the original post), measured and quick follow up before we loose even more good folks.

John

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands

Exactly, not even put before the rest of the staff as such matters have been in the past. :Doh:

Amibay is now run by the community as long as it doesn't go against what these four members want.

arnljot

Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo
I read it as like he would quit staff. Not the site. I still hold hope that Keith wants to remain on this site still despite whats unfolding atm

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I am here, as I always have been for the members, what ever or however I can help I am truly at service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom