too much chat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
I read on here recently that there is now too much chat on this forum.
Now for my 2 pennies worth, I like the chat!! i've done some deals (all brilliant) and made some friends to boot (can't wait till the retrobyte show!!) now without the "chat" i wouldn't have bought tickets to the show because i wouldn't have "known" anyone on here, as it is i've have some bloody good laughs at some comments, i've learnt a lot from more knowlegable people than I, and i've had to think about the rights and wrongs of some questions/posts made on here.
I also like to start my weekend mornings with a coffee and a smoke while reading all the posts, so my long winded question is......is there too much chat and should it be stopped?

cheers, JuvUK

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Re: too much chat?

It's fine all round for me! Nuff said! :mrgreen:

tonyyeb

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
East Yorkshire

I'm one of the people who think Amibay should be about trading and not chat, mainly because there are already plenty of Amiga/Retro computer forums on the net. I would be happy for the chat to continue if the chat and selling were somehow seperate. Maybe the 'View new posts' could be 'View recent for sale ads' and a 'View recent wanted ads' and a 'View recent chat threads'? Could that be done? I know on EAB they have a view new posts and a seperate view new off topic posts so those who dare venture into OT can do but those who just want Amiga related chat can be kept away from the shinanigans in OT!

That way the primary purpose remains of buying/selling retro kit remains Amibays focus and those who want to come and chat can still do. What does everyone think to that?

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ tonyyeb

The site is still an on going development. Chat is currently away from the Sale or Wanted area & everything is sectioned. Occasionally, chat does happen on threads, but chat is one of lifes things & can not be abolished all together. AmiBay originally was not intended to be just an AmiBench replacement.

On the threads, if no posting was allowed, silent bidding would ensue. This is in the rules & is something you must NOT do on AmiBay!

tonyyeb

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
East Yorkshire

@Kin Hell

Chat in For Sale ads should be limited to asking questions about the product, declaring interest or making offers. Simple as that. Chat should not happen in For Sale threads. That is how it works on other forums where For Sale areas work very well. All the members know what is expected. All questions should be answered by the seller, no one else. No advice on whether to buy that model or not isn't allowed, no baulking at prices, no alternatives offered etc...

As regards chat as a whole I'm mainly talking about the chat areas of Amibay. I don't see the need. There are plenty of other sites that offer help, advice, OT areas etc... I don't see why the Amiga/retro computing communities needs yet another. But if people want it then fine. I think that eventually Amibay will become a chat forum that also has a for sale and wanted areas. Not the reason why I joined Amibay. I liked the philosophy of a free place to buy and sell stuff to fellow enthusiasts. I'm tired of the problems with ebay. It still has its uses but I always try Amibay first.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ tonyyeb

Largely, there is no chat on the For Sale threads. We are fairly easy going on here as Moderators & nip things in the bud if they get out of hand. As I also said earlier, you can't stop people chatting.

I'm sorry if you don't like the way AmiBay presents itself. I think it does it in a rather nice way & the way the site is now is a direct result of what the members wanted. I guess you can please some people some of the time but not all, all of the time!

Kin

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

AmiBay is really the only Amiga related forum that I frequent. I like the people here and appreciate their opinions. The other forums I have seen, but not interacted with, seem to be full of people who have no real interest in the community and just like to "hear" themselves talk or start conflicts. Because of this, I would personally prefer to interact with people on this forum than any other. The strict moderation of these forums tends to keep the bad element away.

That being said, I can understand why someone would like a way to skip the chat and stick with just the sale posts. I agree with Kin that chat in sale related posts is unavoidable but that chat is part of what attracted me to AmiBay in the first place. Just my $0.02.

Heather

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands

Couple of my thoughts on the issue..

1. I like the chat, in particular I like the chat with the guys & Gals here - they are a nice bunch.

2. If there was no need for chat here due to plenty of other chat related forums then why are we posting chat here - see 1

3. I echo what Tonyyeb says about haveing two "view active posts", one for sales/wants and one for the rest, this way if you only interested in sales/wants you do not have to wade through pages of chat to buy or sell.

4. It would be good if we tried to stay focused and on topic in the sales/wants again to make it easier to read when trying to buy/sell.

Edit..

I knew there was something else

5. Having chat here is like having a shop window - temptation is put before us that chat. Chat is good for sales/wants. :)

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs

@All

As one of the offenders of extending my replies to sometimes being off topic :oops:

I'd like to say that to a certain point I find it helpful to ask questions at times and also to add comments when not required. It's just the way my brain works :?

As for having seperate 'view active topics' I don't mind either way. After all, if you log on to the site on a regular basis it doesn't take long to scroll through the newest posts.

Just my 2 penneth :LOL:

Dave G 8)

Brataccas

AmiBayer
Country
Swindon
Region
Wiltshire

Personally i am glad that we do chat here as their are not really that many miggy forums about (uk based anyway), yeah theirs lots of retro sites etc but sites dedicated to real Amiga fans is always a good thing!

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

That is why we created the AmiBay Community section on AmiBay. That way members who like to chat and get to know who they are trading with can use it, and anyone who doesn't like to chat can focus on the actual sale areas.

I do however agree with tonyyeb that chat should remain in the community areas of the site, and not posted on member's "for sale" topics.

tonyyeb

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
East Yorkshire

I'm glad my comments are at least being considered ;)

@Harrison

Would it be possible to have a 'View Recent For Sale / Wanted Threads' link that excludes the community section whilst leaving the global 'Vew new posts' link?

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

In theory it should be possible to add a link that does that, but I would need to investigate and experiment when I get time.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

i thought it was time to re-visit this topic,
i feel that Amibay has almost gone full circle in recent months, it was quite quiet, then it went totally mad, now it seems to be calming down again. who knows maybe it's just cyclic?

cheers, JuvUK

arnljot

Dad, gamer, nerd, amigian
Country
Oslo
Region
Oslo

There not enough in General Chat forum, and tendencies to get out of hand in the commercial forums. My two cents :)

Hessu

Amiga Manic
AmiBayer
Country
Raisio, Finland
Region
Varsinais-suomi

There is never too much chat :popcorn: A little chitchat is the one that keeps any forum alive
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom