Torsion clips on coolers - who designed these things...??

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
OK,

Now I'm pretty competent at assembling PCs and have built my own for over 20 years. I thought I had come across most types of niggly, awkward, make-you-want-to-throw-it-at-the-wall hardware until tonight.

I've just spent the best part of a :censored: hour trying to get those :censored: :censored: awkward little :censored: torsion clips that secure the fan onto a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus; what evil :censored: genius designed these things, that lull you into thinking "There, that's almost got it", only to find that the clip falls off when you try to get the end of the clip into the hole on the corner of the fan. What a crock of utter :censored: these clips are!! :mad:

The instructions were as much use as a chocolate fireguard. They don't show you any decent :censored: pictures as to how these sh!tty clips are supposed to fit, they seem to think it's some kind of test. Even flat-pack furniture has better instructions than this kit. I managed to figure it out by looking at larger images that were posted in review tests after some Googling.

I have noted that Coolermaster have changed them in a later version to plastic brackets that hold the fan instead of these poxy wire clips. Do you think that might be down to the hate mail and death threats that people assembling these things have sent to Coolermaster as feedback...??

I hope that the fan stays on now; because if it falls off, I foresee a nasty accident involving a cooler and a large hammer......:nod:

Last edited:

Station240

AmiBayer
Country
Adelaide,Australia
Region
South Australia
Reminds me of my pet hate in the cupboard somewhere, a Zalman heatpipe cooler for ATI 9700/9800 video cards. It came with the last card it was installed on, yup killed that card, and also killed the working one I installed it on.

Has some retarded system involving too many nuts and not enough screws. Basically you try and install it on both sides of the card at once, using some :censored: design of adjustable mounting points that rotate at both ends.

Plus the entire :censored::censored::censored: mess doesn't put enough pressure on the video card, which causes almost instant damage. When I redesigned it to just screw the major part to the board the card worked again with lots of artifacts, the damage was done. I asked Zalman nicely if this was just bad design or I didn't install it proper the :censored: gits never answered.

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Some heatsinks are a nightmare to install, that is for sure.

For general air cooling I've always been using the Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 in all my machines for quite some time now. Very easy to fit and worked very nicely. The Rev. 2 even fits all current CPUs AMD and Intel. And with the Intel assembly I like the fact you fix the bracket to the motherboard first, so can ensure the clips are though the board and secure, and then you screw the heatsink down onto the bracket, so you can ensure its a secure and tight mounting.

Top Bottom