Total Newbie Workbench Question

rob_santry

Country
United States
Region
Oregon
Hi Group,

I was donated an Amiga 2000 and I'm just now starting to mess around with workbech. It's hard to believe this type of gui was around in 1987. Anyway, when I try and quit, I get the message "Cannot quit yet, there are 4 WB launched programs". So, I tried to "Put Away" the seven icons in the WBStartup drawer, inside the System Drawer. That didn't work, So I created another drawer called "OldStartup", and dragged-and-dropped the icons into that new folder, thus emptying WBStartup. I still get a message "Cannot Quit Yet, open count =1". I am only trying to use the gui to quit the system. I have to do a hard shutdown with the power switch. So, What can I do? I am running Workbench 3.1. I don't have any original disks, but I have four original disks for Workbench 2.1. So, do I flatten the machine and install the 2.1 workbench? I'd rather not...

Thanks in advance...

Rob
Grants Pass, Oregon

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
there is no shutdown on Workbench.

you just turn it off as long as its just sitting there not accessing the harddisk.

I would put the files you moved back to there original location.

Yes 1987 and a gui but only windows brought in the stigma of "shut down computer" -- "It is now safe to turn off your computer" :D

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
One thing that other OSes will never have, you can switch off your Amiga whenever you want.

rob_santry

Country
United States
Region
Oregon
Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the help!

One thing that other OSes will never have, you can switch off your Amiga whenever you want.

Thanks guys! I put the icons back where they were. I guess I'm still conditioned from all those years running windows at work. Now, it's back to exploring what this wonderful machine is all about.

Rob

manic23

Only Amiga Makes it Happen
Country
United Kingdon
Region
Bromley, Kent
It's funny even though I know that you can just turn off an Amiga every time I do so it still feels wrong to me somehow lol

Top Bottom