Trying to burn a CD with ADF on PC for Amiga 500

Khondar

Country
Germany
Region
Baden-Württemberg, 88095
Hey guys,

I am starting to get a bit frustrated. I went through tons of CD-Rs and none of them could be accessed/read by the Amiga.

Objective
Transfer .adf-files via CD from PC to Amiga; then transfer to DD-Diskettes.

My setup
Amiga 500, 1 MB Ram, Kick 1.3 + A570 CD-Rom Drive.

The CD-R I wish to create
A folder for every game; inside the matching adf-files.

The good news
I have one bootable CDTV-Opus disc that works just fine. The disc can be accessed via Workbench and is bootable; so the A570 doesn't seem to be the problem.

The bad news

This is what I've tried so far:

- Burn the CD with Roxio and standard settings (x5) - failure
- Burned the Cd with "Disk.info", provided to me by a fellow retro-fan at forum64.de (x2) - failure
All following attempts included the Disk.info file..
- Burned the CD using ISO+Jouliet (x2) - failure
- Burned the CD using ISO-only (x2) - failure
- Burning the CD without any folders - straight adf-files with renamed to max. 5 letters. (x2) - failure

whenever I enter the CD-R within Workbench, it does not show up (unlike the Opus-CD). If I try to access via the shell I receive the error "no disc in drive".

Am I missing something here? PLEASE HELP! :eek:

Any ideas?

Khondar

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
hiya,
not sure what the problem is tbh, i just chuck a load of adfs etc at a cd via Nero, burn as data and they work, what cd file system are you using?

bazzaq

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for Breakfast
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Liverpool
gotta burn as iso9660 only..

8+3 files for iso9660, so no amiga long filenames.

workbench 1.3 wont show any files that dont have .info files with them. you will have to go via shell.

workbench 2 has a show all files option.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
You might have issues if the CD-ROM is missing the Amiga .icon files, most notably disk.info in the root of the disk.

Can you access the contents of any of your burned CDs through the Amigashell?

Try loading up a CLI window and typing:
Code:
1> CD0:
1> dir
Let us know if you get any output.

Good luck!

(y)

Khondar

Country
Germany
Region
Baden-Württemberg, 88095
hiya,
not sure what the problem is tbh, i just chuck a load of adfs etc at a cd via Nero, burn as data and they work, what cd file system are you using?

Not sure what you mean, but I tried ISO+Jouliet and ISO-only.

bazzaq said:
gotta burn as iso9660 only..

8+3 files for iso9660, so no amiga long filenames.

workbench 1.3 wont show any files that dont have .info files with them. you will have to go via shell.

8+3 meaning maxium eight character file-name? e.g. 12345678.adf? Didn't try that yet. So I have to manually rename the files, yes?

I tried the shell, "dir cd0:" but always same result: "no disc in drive".

AndyLandy said:
You might have issues if the CD-ROM is missing the Amiga .icon files, most notably disk.info in the root of the disk.

hmm... is this disk.info file universal? (i.e. the same file for any CD-R?) Or is it unique to each CD-R? Over at forum64.de, one member sent me a "disk.info"-file, but it didn't seem to make a difference...

From what I've read about this procedure, for most people it seems no problem to simply burn the CD and read it on the Amiga (like JuvUK).. something's off :(

I will try this next:

- re-naming the .adf-files to a maximum of 8 characters
- ISO-only burning
- Disk.info-file, the one I already have, in the root

TheoryBoy

AmiBayer
Country
Ireland
Region
Cork
I used have trouble with certain brands of cd-r than wouldnt work in some older CD drives . Can you try a different brand of CD-R?

Khondar

Country
Germany
Region
Baden-Württemberg, 88095
I tried 2 different kinds (Verbatim and one No-Name). I suppose I could get a third kind to be on the safe side.

As to the .info files mentioned by AndyLandy - what do they actuelly do? Do they simply tell the Amiga "hey, I'm a CD" or is it more specific to the content?

@JuvUK: do you have the same set-up as I do (hardware)? If so, when you assemble the CD to be burned, do you care about the length of characters, or an .info file? What you describe seems to good to be true - but gives me hope :)

bazzaq

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Liverpool
- re-naming the .adf-files to a maximum of 8 characters
- ISO-only burning
- Disk.info-file, the one I already have, in the root

if you burn a file to iso9660 cd it will truncate the file to 8+3 e.g. turrican.adf will be turrican.adf but turrican2.adf will be turrican.adf or turri~1 or summat similar.

so you will end up with dupe files if you dont rename.

disk.info will become disk.inf and thus become useless..

StrontiumDog

Banned
Country
United Kingdom
Region
The Willen Lake
@Khondar

You can circumvent the 8+3 filename problem by using Winrar (rarlabs.com) on the PC to create an archive contaiing the files you wish to transfer to the Amiga and save the resulting archive as a ZIP file, not a RAR file.

Keep the archive(s) under 50MB or you'll be there for ages unzipping files on your A500.

This doesn't stop you making multiple archives :)

Write the final archives to CD using IMGBurn (imgburn.com), not Roxio as IMHO it's unsuitable for Amiga readable CD's

You'll also need an unzipping program for the A500, plenty of HD space and patience.

Disc brand is not important, speed of writing them is so burn them as SLOW as possible

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I tried 2 different kinds (Verbatim and one No-Name). I suppose I could get a third kind to be on the safe side.

As to the .info files mentioned by AndyLandy - what do they actuelly do? Do they simply tell the Amiga "hey, I'm a CD" or is it more specific to the content?

@JuvUK: do you have the same set-up as I do (hardware)? If so, when you assemble the CD to be burned, do you care about the length of characters, or an .info file? What you describe seems to good to be true - but gives me hope :)

.info files are the icons that the Amiga Workbench renders when you open a folder. No .info, no icon -- file is invisible. In Workbench 2.0+, there's a "Show all files" option in the menu, but it's not there in Workbench 1.x

disk.info is the icon for the disk that appears in the main Workbench window/desktop. The disk.info from any CD will do (You'll just get that icon) but you'll still hit problems if you're burning ISO9660-only CDs. The file will be renamed to DISK.INF and the Amiga will never see it. :(

Ideally, you need something that'll burn ISO9660 and RockRidge extensions, that way you can get long filenames on the Amiga.

Did you try the Amigashell stuff I suggested above? It'd be interesting to know if the CD mounts at all, and it's just missing some icons, or if there's something else not-quite right.

rs2klee

Country
U.K
Region
London
as blankstare says, perfect answer to a simple question.
just write SLOOOW 1x speed or slower ;)

Khondar

Country
Germany
Region
Baden-Württemberg, 88095
@ bazzaq - thanks, will try that.

@ blankstare - I don't have HD. But I did burn most of the CD-Rs with Roxio - which you said would be unsuitable. The remaining CD-R were burned on a Mac with the said settings.

@ AndyLandy - thanks. I tried the shell "dir cd0:", which gave me the error message "no disc in drive". - only with the self-made CD-Rs..

I always chose slowest writing speed (x4)

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
Get Nero burning rom 6 my verison is 6.6.0.16 with these settings I can run
the programs right off the CD all file names are correct..

I did this last night works great..

Chris (y)

Extra note I burn at 24x on the PC..

Attachments

• Nero Screen.jpg
    Nero Screen.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
I agree with BlankStare. I use ImgBurn for all my burning needs and I have had no problems whatsoever with burning Amiga readable disks. It's been a while so I'd have to figure out the exact settings again, but it wasn't too difficult to figure out.

Heather

Khondar

Country
Germany
Region
Baden-Württemberg, 88095
Get Nero burning rom 6 my verison is 6.6.0.16 with these settings I can run
the programs right off the CD all file names are correct..

I did this last night works great..

Chris (y)

Extra note I burn at 24x on the PC..

Didn't work... tried it three times :(

Will try Blankstare's method next...

bazzaq

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Liverpool
I have just tried a couple of discs in my a570, under kickstart 1.3

if i put a disc into the drive before booting workbench it see's it and i can access it, only seeing the files via shell as expected.. if you eject and put another in it thinks there is no disc in drive.

I have not made myself an a570 install disc, i forget if there is some software for eject/remount?

But i tried a couple of different brands, they read ok.

Khondar

Country
Germany
Region
Baden-Württemberg, 88095
^^thanks, that's a good tipp - will try that right away. (picking all the burned cd-r's out of the trash..)

Using IMGBurn I noticed that my CD-Rs (both kinds) are not compatible with a writing speed of 1x. The minimum they support is 4x (saw that in the log file)...

Let the tests continue..

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

I just almost had sex with my Amiga - since I achieved at least a partial success, thanx to bazzaq!

If this is common knowledge, you probably wish me dead :oops:. I never though of it... - the solution was to put the CD into the A570 prior to starting the WB. The result: I saw an icon on the Workbench with the name of the CD. When I double-clicked it, it opened an empty window.

When using the Amiga Shell "dir cd0:" I saw the entire directory, including .info files (!) and everything. UNREAL.

By the way: I got all the past burned CD-Rs out of the trash and tried them - they ALL worked. No matter if ISO, Jouliet, ISO+Jouliet, renaming of ADFs... they all showed.

But before I explode in happyness - I am now stuck with the second step :s

So I have a CD-R including a ton of ADR-Files in folders, as well as TSGUI (I was told this was a good program to transfer ADF to Amiga-Disks..).

How do I start programs from the CD? What are the shell commands? :oops:

Or do you have any suggestion how to proceed from here? (objective: transfer the adf's to Amiga-Disks..)

Thank you (all) so much for your assistance and patience!

Happy Khondar

bazzaq

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Liverpool
:)

tsgui has a user interface methinks, you just need to run it, then select the adf to dump to disk.

I am guessing you have tsgui.lha or something on cd, you will need lha.

So assuming you have lha.run from aminet.

format a floppy disk.

open shell

cd cd0:
copy lha.run ram:
copy tsgui.lha ram:

cd ram:

lha.run "will run self extracting lha you should end up with a few different lha programs. choose the one for your cpu"

lha x tsgui.lha - substitute lha for lha_68k or which one you are using. i forget.

a tsgui folder will appear in ram: move it to the blank floppy for future use. probs worth copying lha to it too.

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
I use BlitzADF on WB3.1 this program save my butt when I messed up my WB 3.1 Install disk..

Chris :coffee:

Khondar

Country
Germany
Region
Baden-Württemberg, 88095
I ran out of CD-R's *lol*, but I did burn the already unzipped version of TSGUI onto the CD, and - surprise - I can start it right off the CD. :D

Thanks for the Amiga-Shell commands... can't wait to create my first ADF-Disk after all this...

Top Bottom