Trying to sell crap for loads!!

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
My 1st rant!!!
wanna know what gets my goat? well i'm gonna tell you anyway.
Peeps that try to sell crap to unsuspecting hobbiests fans etc, you know the sort of person that tries to sell a busted up piece of poo that needs major repair for about the same price you can buy a working one for and then having the gall to charge a price similar to a 3rd world countries dept for the shipping/carriage and then to say "oh by the way, if you do buy this you ain't getting the complete thing anyway"
Pi**es me off, you see so many acts of kindness on here then wander off somewhere else for 10 mins only to see someone atempt to a**e r*pe some innocent.

there rant over, thanks guys i feel better for the vent!! i'm off for a smoke

cheers, JuvUK 8)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Re: Trying to sell crap for loads!!

@JuvUK

dont hold back my friend, tell us how you REALLY feel :)

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire

Better that, than if they hadn't said anything at all, or 'forgot' to mention something (*cough*photocopy*cough*) and you'd just spent, oh I don't know, number off the top of my head, 300 Euro on it. :mrgreen:

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

r0jaws said:
Better that, than if they hadn't said anything at all, or 'forgot' to mention something (*cough*photocopy*cough*) and you'd just spent, oh I don't know, number off the top of my head, 300 Euro on it. :mrgreen:

I trust that this is purely a hypothetical case you are talking about here; I wouldn't want to have to warn anyone for trolling........*cough*

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire

Absolutely, hypothetical, of course. :oops:

Where did I put that spade?

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

*cough*

/....Kin sniggers!.... :mrgreen:

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

LMFAO!!!

looks like that cough and cold is going round a bit ;)

reminds me of the beach boys hit..... get around :)

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

well i started a rant now i'm worried i've started some sort of coughing plague :(

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

LOL @ JuvUK!!

I think it's safe to say that the source of the coughing plague has been found and quarantined....

Nuff said.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

@ Merlin

:arrow: *cough* Dunno wtf ur *cough* on about!? *cough**cough*

Maffro

Country
UK Western Isles

Totally agree, having just taken up the hobby again and now being in the middle of a dispute on a non delivered item and having been taken for a mug by sellers on ebay who think they can punt crap for top dollar and then refuse to refund you after sending the item back!!

only started buying bits n bobs about 3 weeks ago and already had a DOA HD, a chewed up joystick, a 600 with display problems.......
(worth adding that those bits were sold under the guise of being either excellent working order or fully tested)

Then i found this site! I hope that i can stop using ebay for my hobby now and deal with gentlemen and accurate item descriptions.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

Hiyas Maffro

Welcome to AmiBay, its what we are all here for, a trading community policed by the community (without ebay fees ;))

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina

crap for loads you say eh? a succesfull business formula I must say, 101% profit! :p :p :p
some ppl are just pathetic...

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

@ All

This is AmiBay, not "DoomyBay"...people don't get ripped off on here.....it's the reason we created the site.

:wink:

cheeba

AmiBayer
Country
Ireland
Region
Donegal

I just paid my highest amount so far on a game I was really looking forward to (not here, t'was on the other bay), and it turned up today. The discs arrived in their box looking a little worse for wear (but not lethally mouldy, I'm not that silly) and no sooner had I put one in my drive than it started whirring and choking like hell itself, leading to the good old "DF0:BAD". Naturally, every other disc in the five-disc game was entirely broken. ARGH! Looking back on the auction, The listing had a colourful first-hand description of the game itself from the seller and no mention anywhere of being sold "as is" or "untested". Basts!

On the bright side, it was only 20-odd quid and not crazy money, but still an awful p***er when I was looking forward to it so much.

Still, at least I've had better luck with most other stuff I've got so far. About half the "sold as blanks" I got free with my 500 were DOA, but I think that's par for the course. Everything else has worked dandy, or at least well enough to get safely backed up before any future hassle.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

It's the people who try and have it both ways that *really* :censored: me off. The Other Auction Site is full of it:

"Rare vintage retro-computing ITEM

This ITEM is very rare and collectible, would be great in your collection.

Buy-it-now price $obscene

This item is 20 years old, so SOLD AS-IS. No returns."

C'mon, if you expect someone to pay vast wads of cash for it, you could do us the courtesy of testing it first! If you can't test it, then give it a modest starting price and let the community decide its value!

Still, these often don't sell, so just think how much money these idiots are losing in seller fees for things they've priced to never sell. :)

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

Hence my current signature (quoted here in case I ever change it :wink:).

SkydivinGirl said:
I cringe whenever I see the words Vintage, Collectible or Rare in an auction or classified ad.
The buyers are the ones who really determine the value. Adding these words is just an attempt by the seller to make it go for more. Unfortunately, people fall for it!

:Doh:

Heather

Merlin

VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

@ AndyLandy

It's for all of the above reasons that AmiBay exists, so that people who really care about the retro community can buy and sell to others who also care and aren't in it for a quick killing.

Now you begin to see why we don't allow price driving on here....

cavanor

Country
Queensland, Australia
I've been around the tracks alot, ebay member since 1999. As more people flock to ebay at least here in Australia the quality of items are getting worse and worse, more and more am I buying things that just flat out don't work.

I purchased a bunch of cd32 games recently on ebay and low and behold far more scratched than the seller mentioned and one was a playable demo sold as a full game (n)

Make online selling easy for idiots (with no interest in the hobby) and they will sell.

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Other than the fleaBay mentality that rots one soul, I think my biggest issue is lately car boot sales (thats flea markets for our American brethern)

I wont quote prices, but I like to hackup things like Xboxes and other consoles..... of which I can get (unknown if working or sold as) items respectively quite cheap... so when I go to these said events, why are they asking nearly twice as much and *claim* they are working when -

1. theres no way to test them
2. theres no come back as they wont be there next week or even if there is an event

This is tantamount to most 2nd user electrical goods (really get my gruff!!)

Now thats nothing compared to this -

In the UK we have a thing called FreeCycle, its a site where people put up items they want rid of for free.. person collects..

things like sofa's chairs tv's crockery etc... you can also place an Add for somthing you want/need

Now... its the latter thats really anoyed me...

amongst the

Needed / Wanted - Cooker
Needed / Wanted - Sofa
Needed / Wanted - Dinning Table

there was this

Needed / Wanted - Childs toy's cloths for car-boot

and then there was

Needed / Wanted - toys / clothes / stuffed teddies for car boot

Thats completely outragious.... taking something thats given free to sell to make a pure profit... that really turns my stomach...

okay... enough of that... just needed to vent a smidge.

Top Bottom