Closed TurboGrafx-16 or equivalent (and some advice!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DojoDan

Blogger
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Country
UK
Region
West Midlands
Hi all

I'm after a TG-16 or equivalent which I can use Krikzz's everdrive on. I'm completely confused which machine to go for really. I want at least composite out. Can I play both American & Jap Hu-Card games from the Everdrive on any machine? Also, are there any PAL TG16s? Are their 50/60Hz differences? Does my TV need to be NTSC capable? I don't need any CD compatibility. Doesn't have to be boxed, just good working condition with a good original pad.

Cheers all,
Very much hoping for some advice as well.
Ian.

manic23

Only Amiga Makes it Happen
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Country
United Kingdon
Region
Bromley, Kent
"Can I play both American & Jap Hu-Card games from the Everdrive on any machine?"
Yes all Everdrives work that way, you can play both no problem.

"Are there any PAL TG16s?"

yes there are, apparently a load were found in a warehouse some time ago and they used to go for quite cheap on EvilBay, not sure how many there are in the wild now though. I dont think there was ever an official PAL release.

"Are their 50/60Hz differences? Does my TV need to be NTSC capable?"
No, you can play the games fine on a PAL TV, it's exactly what I do.

sir_beaker

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Country
England
Region
Alresford
If you're going for the PC Engine, the RGB scart is also highly recommended for the best picture https://www.amibay.com/showthread.p...l-RGB-SCART-No-internal-modification-required

Or/and you can do like me and buy the amp part and a Tennokoe 2 to mod that then you'd have RGB and the save feature for any (quite few) games that support it (y) Well, that's the plan anyway when Bas has time to get to it in my pile (y)
Here's the link for the mod:
http://wiki.pcengine.info/pmwiki.php?n=Hardware.Tennokoe2RGB

Last edited:

manic23

Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Country
United Kingdon
Region
Bromley, Kent
TurboGrafx-16 or equivalent (and some advice!)

If you're going for the PC Engine, the RGB scart is also highly recommended for the best picture https://www.amibay.com/showthread.p...l-RGB-SCART-No-internal-modification-required

Yes I got one of those RGB cables from r0jaws well worth it, output quality is excellent and you don't need to butcher your console. There is also this device that may or may not ever get released, http://www.db-elec.com/home/News/dbgrafxboosterttptestedandfullyoperational

By the way if your getting the Everdrive then I would go for the PC Engine over the TG16 for no other reason that it just looks better! and is a lot smaller, just a much nicer option in my opinion. Not only that but it means that the NTSC and JP games on the Everdrive will run at full speed as long as you are using a TV or monitor that supports NTSC of course.

You will need to get an AC adaptor to use with it as the Japanese one will not work herein the UK. You can use a regular easy to find Official Mega Drive 1 (not II) 9v PSU.

Last edited:

DojoDan

Blogger
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Country
UK
Region
West Midlands
Wow, seriously thanks guys, that's answered all my questions completely. Are there any differences between the PC Engine and a TG16 interms of being able to play both NTSC & Jap (from Everdrive, as I understand hucards are region locked) games at full speed? Can both support r0jaws RGB cable?

manic23

Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Country
United Kingdon
Region
Bromley, Kent
No there are no differences both will be able to play all regions with the Everdrive and both support the RGB cable.

One thing to note re the Everdrive there is a dip switch that switches between TG16 and PC engine you just have to make sure you select the right one, caught me out once!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom