Turn 2000 to ECS?

runequester

Country
United States
Region
Oregon
In the event, it doesn't sell, what is needed to turn a 2000 to an ECS machine?

I have the 2.0 ROM chips but what else is needed and most importantly, how much trouble is it?

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

I have the 2.0 ROM chips but what else is needed and most importantly, how much trouble is it?

The easier bit is replacing the Denise. All you need to do is track down a 8373 (Super) Denise chip and swap it with the 8362 Denise that's on the A2000 board. It's a DIP package, so no harder to swap than the Kickstart ROM. Doing that will give you the extra ECS graphics modes.

The harder part is replacing the Agnus, mostly because you have to remove the PLCC package, which is a little trickier. Your best bet for this is to track down a MiniMegaChip or equivalent, which includes the ECS Agnus part and the 2MB of ChipRAM you'll need to have a "full" ECS system.

My A2000 has one of the 1MB Agnus parts (8372, I think) -- They're described as an 'ECS' Agnus, but they aren't the full 2MB-compatible version. Still, it's good enough to run Workbench 3.5+, and since the MiniMegas are quite rare, you might be happy enough to stick with that, if that's what you have already.

protek

"Takai desu ne." -"Jinsei da."
Country
Finland
Region
Oulu, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa
While you're at it, upgrade your ROM to 3.1. That enables you 3.x Workbenches. I got a B2000 upgraded with 3.1 ROM and Super Denise. Only 1 MB of Chip RAM, though.

matt020

Finger lickin' good
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
Australia
Region
Western Australia
While you're at it, upgrade your ROM to 3.1. That enables you 3.x Workbenches. I got a B2000 upgraded with 3.1 ROM and Super Denise. Only 1 MB of Chip RAM, though.

Is she all good with that config?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
I have an A2000 with 3.1, 030 GVP & GVP SCSI and it runs OS3.9 very nicely!

runequester

Country
United States
Region
Oregon

The easier bit is replacing the Denise. All you need to do is track down a 8373 (Super) Denise chip and swap it with the 8362 Denise that's on the A2000 board. It's a DIP package, so no harder to swap than the Kickstart ROM. Doing that will give you the extra ECS graphics modes.

The harder part is replacing the Agnus, mostly because you have to remove the PLCC package, which is a little trickier. Your best bet for this is to track down a MiniMegaChip or equivalent, which includes the ECS Agnus part and the 2MB of ChipRAM you'll need to have a "full" ECS system.

My A2000 has one of the 1MB Agnus parts (8372, I think) -- They're described as an 'ECS' Agnus, but they aren't the full 2MB-compatible version. Still, it's good enough to run Workbench 3.5+, and since the MiniMegas are quite rare, you might be happy enough to stick with that, if that's what you have already.

Will the ECS graphics modes also give the better compatibility for NTSC/PAL or what part is that tied to ?

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
With 2Mb of chip RAM (Fatter Agnus) there's more "room" to WHDLoad games (OCS/ECS, of course), better graphic modes available, enough chip RAM to play mods (music) and animations and that's it.

Graphic modes of ECS Denise are Productivity ("VGA") and extra half-brite modes available (64 colours instead 32).

runequester

Country
United States
Region
Oregon
Doesn't ECS also fix some issues with displaying PAL software on an NTSC machine and vice versa ? This is in reference to using a monitor rather than a tv

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Monitors are NTSC/PAL "agnostics".

Using the Amiga on a TV set will make the troubles we all know and hate, no matter how much chip RAM or Denise version you have.

runequester

Country
United States
Region
Oregon
Monitors are NTSC/PAL "agnostics".

Using the Amiga on a TV set will make the troubles we all know and hate, no matter how much chip RAM or Denise version you have.

see, thats what I remembered from my old 1200.
However, the 2000 I have is NTSC, and when displaying a PAL game on a commodore 1084, it cuts off the bottom of the screen, and runs too fast (best case) or doesn't display proper at all (worst case)

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Then it's a case of regulate the 1084 to proper display PAL modes.

All 1084S models can manage PAL modes quite happily.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Open the monitor and adjust the trim-pots until the PAL image fill the screen, close the monitor and enjoy.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I have an A2000 with 3.1, 030 GVP & GVP SCSI and it runs OS3.9 very nicely!
Mine's got only an A2620 and Buddha but OS3.1 runs quite ok.

I'm running with an Apollo 2030 Lite and an A2091 SCSI card running Workbench 3.5 perfectly smoothly. An '020 or an '030 card in an A2000 really does give it some kick. :)

Top Bottom