TV License is due.

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
<minirant>
Can't believe we now have to pay £145.50 in the UK to receive 4 channels that refuse to be funded by advertising. `nuff said.
</minirant>

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
Kill your TV and switch on your Miggy 24/7 (y)

Dave G :cool:

ajk

AmiBayer
Country
Finland
Region
Helsinki
Just in the news here that they are considering raising the fee to €243 here.

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
<minirant>
Can't believe we now have to pay £145.50 in the UK to receive 4 channels that refuse to be funded by advertising. `nuff said.
</minirant>
Best chuck out all tv aerials and just use the online archives.

(Though actually in all fairness we have 4 and a half channels. ;))

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
And if you opt to pay direct debit they make you pay for this years licesnce in 6 monthly payments and then start paying next years licence six months in advance, whats that about. Theives :mad:

keropi

VIP
Country
Greece
Region
Ioannina
In Greece they integrate the "national television" fees in the electricity bill (since many many years now), so there is no way you avoid paying for some shitty tv and over-payed tv-workers/chieftains/journalists...

danhans115

AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Leeds
I dont pay and dont watch it.

There is no way I am paying £145 a year for a licence to watch Strictly come dancing on ice or whatever.. Plus when I thought about actually getting one during the world cup the wouldnt let me pay monthly and they wanted £120 as a first quarterly payment... wtf?

So I disconnected the aerial, make sure there is nothing tuned in on the TV and just watch downloaded content (not live) and the odd thing on iPlayer through the PS3.

If I want to see football its an excuse to go to the pub :D

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire
It is only the 2 analogue channels BBC1 & 2 you are paying for, ITV, CH4 and CH5 are advertising funded.
With Freeview, there are quite a few more channels available, I still watch BBC News 24 in preference to other "News" channels.

However, you are also paying for all the BBC Radio stations, 1,2,3,4 & 5 etc as well as all the local regional BBC radio stations. Funding also goes to the website with all the content on there.

TBH I like having the BBC, it keeps the quality of broadcasting up. There would be truly nothing to watch if all channels were commercial, just check out the banality of American TV. ;) (apart from a select few absolute gems of course) Also the frequency of advertising breaks makes most shows all but unwatchable!

I think most people are wound up by the fact that payment is mandatory. Luckily I don't happen to mind paying for the content, and would probably have subscribed to it anyway.

---------- Post added at 13:37 ---------- Previous post was at 13:34 ----------

....So I disconnected the aerial, make sure there is nothing tuned in on the TV and just watch downloaded content (not live) and the odd thing on iPlayer through the PS3....

If you watch the content through iplayer, you are required to own a TV license, that was a revision made a few years ago.

Ed.D

Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Bristol
It's ok switching the TV off, but I'm sure I read on last year's license that any equipment capable of receiving a transmission e.g. internet TV via PC or similar, is still considered license-able(is that a word?) I'll have to recheck the license smallprint :readit:.

---------- Post added at 13:54 ---------- Previous post was at 13:41 ----------

I just took another at the enclosed leaflet with the reminder and it's not smallprint. Loosely quoted; "You have to have a TV license if you watch or record television programs as they're been shown on TV - on a computer, mobile phone or, well anything, it's the law."

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
^ ^ ^ ^

Yep - so kill the :censored: TV and flog the aerial to the scrap man.

Just don't watch it on-line or the buggers will fine you.

Pop down the pub for the sport and round the neighbours for anything else :D

Bootay

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Michigan
As an American citizen...it is a must to own a DVR otherwise I will not watch TV. This way I can skip all the commercials which are every 10 minutes. I really don't watch TV that much though. Not too many shows worth watching, and the ones that are I just download because I would rather watch them when I feel like it vs. them telling me when I have to watch it. I don't have time to put my life on hold for a TV show.

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
Did you know that if you purchase any TV equipment in the UK your details are passed on to the licensing people (n)

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Not if you buy your TV from Dave or John at a Car Boot sale :D

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I had to fill in a card for my Daughters TV i bought from Argos

I think the license people will be interested in

Bananan Man
21 Baker Street
Stoke-on-lent
3M T43

yeah... the Licenseing Agency (its not the BBC btw they outsource this to a company that comes and collects the license from YOU)

has nothing but my contempt.

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
^ ^ ^ ^

What the hell? You can't use BBC's iPlayer without a TV licence? :eek:

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
I just took another at the enclosed leaflet with the reminder and it's not smallprint. Loosely quoted; "You have to have a TV license if you watch or record television programs as they're been shown on TV - on a computer, mobile phone or, well anything, it's the law."

^ ^ ^ ^

What the hell? You can't use BBC's iPlayer without a TV licence? :eek:

Yep - They've got you by the short and curlies when you read the small print :readit:

Top Bottom