UK1541 - new drive emulation for C64/C128

kisiel

Country
POLAND
Region
TORUŃ
Hello,
I am proud to present new hardware for C64.
This time is true drive emulation, aka 1541 based on my invention and one year of coding on new (for me) MCU Cortex-M0.

Prove of concept:

http://www.projekt64.filety.pl/index.php?dir=UK1541/&file=UK1541-level 2.mp4

Short info / status:
- 6502 illegal opcodes not done,
- 4KB RAM / 16KB ROM
- VIA emulation.
- SD/MMC only in read mode.
- not stable ATN hardware/software problem.

rkauer

Amiga fanboy
Country
Brazil
Region
São Leopoldo, RS
Please tell us when the new emulator is ready!

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
It's always great to see new Commodore gear! Any idea what the cost will be? You'd probably get a lot of sales if you complete against the 1541U-II if you can keep the cost down.

I can't wait to see the final product. (y)

Heather

thecellartroll

Keeper of the Valiant Turtles.
AmiBayer
Country
Scotland
Region
Edinburgh
Impressive! Even though I have 1541-U I'd be interested in obtaining one of these when ready.

Carry on, good sir! (y)

ColourWheel64

Banned
Country
none
Region
none
MCU Cortex-M0.

http://www.projekt64.filety.pl/index.php?dir=UK1541/&file=UK1541-level%202.mp4

Short info / status:
- 6502 illegal opcodes not done,
- 4KB RAM / 16KB ROM
- VIA emulation.
- SD/MMC only in read mode.
- not stable ATN hardware/software problem.

Wouldn't it be brilliant to see these in the shops one day?

Still, until that happens, I'm interested in one of these. Please inform me of the price when its available.

I'll happily support you kisiel.

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:48 ----------

You'd probably get a lot of sales if you complete against the 1541U-II if you can keep the cost down.

Even though I have 1541-U
Have I been living under a rock? :LOL:

I love the C64 and I had not heard of the 1541U-II until now.

I will make a point of giving one a test-drive soon.

I have high hopes!

kisiel

Country
POLAND
Region
TORUŃ
Thanks guys and girls for your support :)
First thing it isn't 1541U, my device is for User Port so Expansion Port is free to use and as benefit of this it works with c128 in 2Mhz Mode. It was essential point to develop UK1541, 1541Ulitmate do not work with TDC or CPU faster than 1Mhz, for my hardware is not possible to accept this ;)
How about price? 129 Euro for 1541 Ultimate with everything: SID, REU, MP4 player, BT,WIFI, HDMI etc, I think is v. good price :)
My device has on board TFT screen (not mounted on video), RTC and as benefit of cheap chips Cortex M0, the price will be around half. It's really depends on simple thing, parts costs and availability e.g. User Port connector in Poland is very seldom thing and definitely not cheap. For example to have lower cost I put DB9 as steering device, so you will use your own joystick in menu.
Please remember it's only prove of concept, I haven't coded all, yet.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
The support for C128 in 2MHz mode is very exciting. I'm definitely interested now. :)

Heather

kisiel

Country
POLAND
Region
TORUŃ
Yes, but I think there is very seldom programs witch are using C128 with 1541 drive so it's not strong argument for users I think. It's important only for me:)
User Port is used to supply unit with power and to add parallel port for another seldom software with burst 8-bit transfer.

Last edited:

Paradroid90

C64 Junkie
AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Chatham Kent
Very Interesting esp. as Heather said the 2mhz mode on the 128.

Wait in baited breath on this :cool:

kisiel

Country
POLAND
Region
TORUŃ
Ok, but I think, I haven't catched idea of c128, could you please explain what kind of software you will use with 1541 device, aka UK1541.

Paradroid90

C64 Junkie
AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Chatham Kent
From my point of view the 1541 Ultimate II is twitchy to say the least on a C128

Apart from using the C128 only software there are a few titles when run in 64 mode perform better. Elite 128 uses the 2mhz Speed as does Uridium + :cool:

Also Ultima IV I believe (Please correct me if I am wrong!) plays music if run on the 128 in 64 mode.

Ultima IV I can not get to run on my SD2IEC and making a saving a game on Elite 128 is a pain lol :cool:

To have full drive emulation in both 128 and 64 modes would be great esp. as I have Jiffy Dos (y)

ColourWheel64

Banned
Country
none
Region
none
Ok, but I think, I haven't catched idea of c128, could you please explain what kind of software you will use with 1541 device, aka UK1541.

I tend to write very small fun programs for the C64 and C128, and I like to catch up on the odd game or so. I suppose the easiest way to describe the way I use my C64/C128 is also true of most of my collection: I experiment with them and the fun keeps coming.

I keep meaning to create some C64 music, but I don't actually have a clue where to start with this so it has never quite happened. I love listening to other people's though.

kisiel

Country
POLAND
Region
TORUŃ
as I have Jiffy Dos (y)

This means also.. do you want to put Jiffy dos rom inside emulated drive???
I am looking for rom with parallel port loader, I can change flash content in my C64+ and it will be a good tool to test. I remeber that GEOS had driver with 8-bit port also.

Top Bottom