Ultima IV Remastered now available for the C64

Neil79

Country
UK
Region
Kent
Another big hitter in the retro scene for C64 owners is today's release of Ultima IV Remastered for the C64. Originally released way back in the late 80's for the Apple II and ported over to the C64, is arguably one of the best RPG's ever released for the Commodore.

http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/03/ultima-iv-remastered-now-available-for.html

main.jpg1.jpg

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
The C64 still amazes me on it's graphics capabilities and the genius of the artist.

if you understand how a C64 builds up the screen, each graphic square in colour mode can have 3 different colours from the available pallet + background colour (which can also change) 4x8 pixels.

the picture above shows how well the artist eliminated colour clash. brilliant.

Sardine

Staff member
Staff Moderator
Blogger
Country
England
Region
Merseyside
you only notice it on a spectrum because of no hardware sprites and 2 colours per square = 1 colour + background,

also on the C64 with clever use of the rasterline interrupts (at the cost of some cpu time/hardware) you can change the pallet each line and/or add more sprites (well move them below the raster line to give the effect of more sprites :D ).

on a C64 there is a text screen behind the graphics screen.

the graphics is the standard 320x200 pixels (40x25 text characters)

each 8x8 square in mono is foreground / background 2 colours, but with binary the horizontal resolution halved 160x200 in colour mode as each pair of binary bits = a colour code.

00 = background
01 = colour 1
10 = colour 2
11 = colour 3

so 2 horizontal pixels in colour mode = 1 solid pixel on the display

the colours are chosen from the pallet of 16 colours determined by the character behind the graphics at the same position. which then limits 4 independant colours per 8x8 square.

I used to program the C64 in ASM many many moons ago :) created my own custom tape loader with music playing and loading graphic screen (very hard to time it correctly). for my ehm!! not so legal swapping at school, (one of the 1st in my area to succsefully copy Delta ) back in 1984/86

Last edited:

roy_bates

resistance is futile!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
england
Region
birmingham
didnt know that,learn something new everyday,lol

i love delta, and its sequel....well,ok,i i love sanxion as well...erm,sod it i like lots of games,lol

slk486

Asking the questions because I DON'T KNOW
VIP
Country
Denmark
Region
Sealand
There's something about the look of meticulously created C64 image, background, and sprite, that just has no equal :)

Snoozy

Only Amiga makes it possible
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Aww ultima IV - surely one of the best games :)

Actually quite good on the master system aswell

SaviorX

VCCUG
Banned
Country
Canada
Region
Calgary, Alberta
never player IV either, though III was one of my favorite RPGs on any system.....

(along with Centauri Alliance & Wasteland)

(i DO also have the entire Ultima set on GOG)

Last edited:

Paradroid90

C64 Junkie
AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Chatham Kent
Once again another amazing release for the 64.

You only need to go on to CSDB to see how active the scene and the production values keep going up and up.

Long Live the 64 :)

Neil79

Country
UK
Region
Kent
*Sigh*.....Now I'm going to have to buy a C64....*hands over cash* :p

I ended up purchasing a C64 only in the last few years by chance, went to buy some Amiga games, guy was selling the C64. Got it cheap but the tape deck didn't work, so the hunt for an SD device was on. Thus we went straight into C64 news :D

Snoozy

Only Amiga makes it possible
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Has anybody tried this version on their sd2iec ? I can't seem to get past the Origin splash screen ?

I am trying it as D.64....do I need to have an autoswap file in there aswell? Is the origin splash screen the point where it asks for disk 2 ? (there is no on screen prompt asking for disk2)

The program just stops at the orgin screen and no buttons on the keyboard (or joystick ports) moves it forward?

Edit: my mistake, its not yet compatible with sd2iec devices - wow what a major over sight by the developers!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom