Not open for further replies.

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Re: United States vs. United Kingdom

As do I! Not to mention all the culture and the old architecture is beautiful! The United States is a baby in comparison.

Maybe it's just one of those "Grass is always greener..." feelings :)

Heather

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall

tone007 said:
I think "United Kingdom" has a nice ring to it.

I wish the whole World thought the same m8. - Really & from the Heart; - A "United World" :wink:

Ban Religion, ...look at Science seriously & where we actually came from!!

Religion is something you can consider after you accept where you came from.....& you need to be 25 before you can apply!

Space & time....

Kin

coze

Commander
Country
Japan
Region
Tokyo

I think Man United owns them both :LOL:

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK

PAH!!!! football, 22 blokes chasing a pig bladder then showering together!! :wink:

and i like "Free Love!" (not in the hippy sense you understand?) :D

Adonay

Country
lund sweden\Haugesund Norway
Region
Skåne

A "United World"
Yes thats why you joined the EU i gues i will be laughing the day you give away pound sterling for euros and pints\psi\foot as common calculation swapping for cl\bar\cm .. You are getting there at least the states will still be the states i guess...

coze

Commander
Country
Japan
Region
Tokyo

EU is not just about currencies and measures. Maybe you should read more about it before you have an opinion. United in Diversity.

Adonay

Country
lund sweden\Haugesund Norway
Region
Skåne

I know enugh about EU i live in a country that is a member as well as country that is not "and i know why we did chose no " .. My point is that it is not fair to say USA vs UK as the diffrences are to huge were UK is very little on its own any longer "compared to what it has been" past is useless ... What i pointed out is that UK is less and less its own special as it reminds me more and more of the rest of europe be it politics or how people live.. No offence to the good people of uk i work with several persons both from there and us and find it a good county for vacations.. But in terms of global importants UK just isent the same while USA is the center of global economy Not to mention the home of AMIGA :mrgreen: ..

PS: Dont take it to serious what i wrote above i am in a unserious mood

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire

Adonay said:
PS: Dont take it to serious what i wrote above i am in a unserious mood

??? A bit tiny, I shall get out my magnifying spectacles.

Ahh, politics on Saturday morning, excellent. :LOL:

Here goes, [deep breath]

The Uk is now a small Nation amongst many. It may take a while for our political leaders to grasp this concept but it is a fact.
Even as we speak the 'United' part may not be strictly true for very much longer with devolution being the beginning of the possible end of the Act of Union.
We still hold some political and financial clout internationally (for the moment), but only perhaps to the same level as other member states of the EU such as France, Germany or Spain.

The United States should be a model for how the EU should form itself, member states governed by a federal system. However, the US does have the advantage of sharing commonality of language and culture. We're boned in that respect.

That said, if the EU eventually gets its act together (some hope) and becomes a coherent political and economic super power (*chuckle*), we Brits will be sidelined.

But seeing as it hasn't really bothered us so far I can't see that being a problem.
And if Johnny foreigner does start to get a bit uppity, well we can always get the old Empire up and running again. [*bristles bushy moustaches in indignation*]

Thankfully, the Channel is there for a reason. :wink:

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands

I like the ideas and roots behind most religions but am afraid that it is often twisted to fit a less moral purpose, I suppose this applies to various political views too.

I am an idealist in a world that isn't.

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

The UK is a little nation? And there was me thinking the London stock exchange still has some weight in the world... OK the pound is currently down, nearly level with the Euro... but you have to blame the US banks... and ultimately Iceland for all that. And I'm sure we will recover. We have made a lot of bad mistakes, as has the rest of Europe and the US. Farming out most of our manufacturing to the far east for larger profits... meaning more people in the UK out of work and then unable to buy the now imported products.

The UK as a country is still very powerful on the world stage. We still have one of the 5 largest navies in the world too, alongside China, USA, France and Russia.

And you have to look to other areas. The music and film industries are still very strong in the UK. And I'm not just talking about the making of them. I'm talking about recording studios and post production. For Post Production in Film the UK is still the leading country in the world. And the design industry overall is very big... in fact it's still one of the biggest in the world.

And I hate anti Royalists. I love the fact we still have a Royal family in power. I much prefer this over a president. Giving a single president total overall power over a whole country isn't right in my view. Our system of having the Queen overseeing the political landscape of the country feels special. And our system of the Commons to represent the common man, and the Lords to represent the wealthy is in my view a good idea (although Labour are trying their best to destroy this system). I hate it when people spout on about how everyone should be equal and everyone should have the same... etc etc... You get the Royal Family haters spouting on about how they are spending and wasting our money. Hang on... your money? In theory the Royal family own Britain so it's their money! ;) But moving on... in my view it just would never work having no wealthy people at the top and lower classes further down the scale. You have to have those at the top employing those at the bottom. Otherwise you would end up with everyone wanting to only do the jobs in the middle and no one to do the rest of the large range of jobs such as service industry jobs. Someone has to own the places where people work for example.

The USA in contrast is a nice idea in theory. But I don't believe it has actually every worked correctly. The member states of the USA don't each really have an equal say in how the country as a whole is truly run. Regardless of the house of representatives and everyone else, the precedent and his staff do. It's not that different to having a Royal Family and PM in charge. But in the USA they have also always been very paranoid about everything within their own borders, with internal agencies for everything.

However there is something I love about the UK compared to the USA. Safety. Yes knife crime is going up in the UK, mainly involving teenagers. Last year I think there were 140+ knife related deaths in the UK. But significantly less gun related crimes. Now look at the USA. Gun crime is everywhere. People are shot or stabbed every day... even every hour of the day... The USA is not a safe place to be in the same way as the UK.

The UK also has an invention called the roundabout! Why doesn't the USA use them? That is beyond me. We also drive on the correct side of the road! ;) And we don't turn right when the lights are still red!

And what is it with the US sticking to the UKs old imperial measurement system, but only using one single scale for weight or size. In the UK we would split weight into Stones and Pounds, but not in the US. They have to state the whole lot in pounds!

And I like the measurement mixture we have in the UK. The use the metric system most of the time these days for most things to make measurement more accurate. Money, weight, length... etc, but for distance Miles are much nicer, as are Feet and inches for the size of a room! :)

r0jaws

Mondeo Man
Country
UK
Region
Lincolnshire

Excellent!
Some good debating points here, im on my way to work now but Ill be back later.

Just one point, I think the American Imperial system differs in some ways to our own, the distances and measurements are slightly larger I believe, will have to check. :)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

r0jaws said:
Excellent!
Some good debating points here, im on my way to work now but Ill be back later.

Just one point, I think the American Imperial system differs in some ways to our own, the distances and measurements are slightly larger I believe, will have to check. :)

'ahem.... slightly smaller m8y ;)

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk

this is an interesting thread, as long as we promise to respect each others position and point of view I can see this thread lasting a bit longer.

for those of use that see a point of view that makes us whince (like watchin windows ME load) just remeber that one of your points could probably do the same.

Please refrain from multi quoting a post, picking posts to death is the action of trolls, so if there is somthing you stroingly disagree with just state it in you own post :)

now....

a United State (not states) sounds awesome, very Greek :) however its a little imperial
a United Kingdom, okay that suposes a monachy, imma thinking that sucks... and a load imperial
a TUNE or The United Nations of Earth, now that would be something.

as some of you know, my wife is from the US of A, Missouri infact, theres some lovely country down there, some wonderfull colors of reds,yellows aubans... some very nice, hard working and friendly people and it was my pleasure and honour to meet them, although I did have to slow down my speach and repeat myself at least 5 times LOL

I remember one time in a video rental store and I asked for a couple of movies and the shop assistant she asked me where did i get an accent like that.... i said West Beruit.... i couldn't help it.... honest.... anyway after we had a chuckle i got me movies :)

I am not a royalist, infact they have my sympathy as they only exisit to support and supose the upperclass, they are a figure head of nothing, about as usefull as the ornament on a modern rolls royce. to think of those that have nothing, even their dreams are crushed to think we can support a family that is nothing more than flustered pomp is beyond my comprehense... kinda like the TV license it truth.

I tire of how politicians, and fearfull people pick up on the differences in society(s) just to make a point to thier reason, it disturbs me to think that these types of people can attempt to controll ones own view by slurring something else.

there are so many beautiful countries in the world, some of them war torn and ravaged by anger and narrow sightedness, a lot of these hold the histories of modern europe and the world, its such a shame to see it so, I do long to see a United world, a world that respects, nay... encourages differences across its nations with a true encompasment of moral ethics to one another. (it may help to ban religeon here lol)

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

Contra-voy-shul comments time...

My dad, who was a drill sergeant in the Army, always said that we were the USS Great Britain, the US's largest aircraft carrier; we just don't sail anywhere, that's all.......he also said that there was nothing more dangerous than an American with a gun. He is from the post-WW2 generation so I suppose that's why he is like he is.

The US can't even get Imperial units right, either, why does 54 US gallons amount to the same as 45 UK gallons, shouldn't they be the same? I can't see the USA getting their head around SI (metric) units either.

The big thing is that the USA doesn't appear to have any history written down much, unless it picks up from Columbus and goes from there. The poor old native Americans hardly get a footnote, compared to what happened after the Mayflower. The Americans have always envied us for our history.

The one thing I always find the Americans can't understand is that you can't travel more than about 30 miles in the UK without coming across some other civilisation; compare that to the US, where you can drive for hundreds of miles and not find a living soul.

The US hasn't quite got the idea of tea either; they think tea is Earl Grey, possibly with milk in it - ugh! Try asking for English Breakfast tea or Darjeeling at some places and they will think you are mad.

It's really going to be interesting watching the US car companies thrash around, trying to make smaller, economical cars. I read recently that Chrysler has joined forces with Fiat; so they will make cars with crappy handling that won't start when it rains, that's a good start........not. My counterpart at our Cleveland plant was completely freaked out by my Peugeot 1007 with the sliding doors when he came over to the UK and couldn't believe that I get 45 miles per gallon from it.

Also, we are definitely separated by a common language, I remember photographing an advertising hoarding that had a vacuum cleaner advert on it that said "Nothing sucks like an Electrolux". The Americans fell about laughing at that one, something got lost in the translation :). Here's the picture...

[attachment=0:2cjkgrin]electrolux.JPG[/attachment:2cjkgrin]

Oh, and irony isn't like goldy or silvery, it's actually a form of humour (note the u in humour) that appears to be lost on Americans.

These comments aren't meant as flaming anyone; I am using them to illustrate some of the differences between our two nations.

/Discuss.........

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC

Mmmm... Darjeeling :) I actually like tea quite a bit but I will also admit that I have not tried many English teas. I would not be surprised if the English teas I have tried taste nothing like they do in England. The ones I've tried are probably some cheap knock-offs with the same name.

I agree, the Native Americans got screwed and, as I already said, we don't have much history because our country is quite young. I enjoy world history, not just that of one nation, but I think that Europe has one of the most interesting histories.

As for measurements, I think the original American revolutionaries just tried to distance themselves from England as much as possible and made up all these wacky measurements. Of course, that's just my conjecture. I'd love to get the world on the same measurement system and I don't think America should be the template.

There are parts of the United States that are extremely dangerous and I would not go there if you paid me, but those are the exception, not the norm. Anywhere there are people, you can be in danger. People are dangerous creatures, especially when emotion is involved.

I'm not sure how different the cultures between races are in other countries, but there are dramatic differences between cultures here. Everyone is afraid to cross some imaginary line when dealing someone of a different race or ethnicity. Saying something to one person could make them laugh and saying it to another person could get you shot.

American companies wanted to save money so they shipped all the jobs overseas to China and India and now wonder why nobody in the USA can afford to buy any of their products. The middle class is dwindling while the lower class is growing. It is no surprise everything is breaking down.

The world is broken and needs more than a band-aid.

Heather

Oh, I did not get the gold/sliver irony in the picture so please explain. :)

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex

Some great examples of differences between the two Merlin.

The spelling thing always used to really annoy me, with color instead of colour etc... however I then researched it and the reasons behind the differences in spelling are quite interesting, and come down to when the first dictionaries were being made and the US and English dictionary writers had to pick one way of doing it and stick to it. And in a way it is us who are wrong in the way we spell words because we used to spell many in the same way as the US, but then the bloody French invaded and we then started to use the way they spell instead! So don't get annoyed with the American's way of spelling, blame the French instead! ;)

I also never quite get why some of the US units are different sizes for the same thing. Although American's have always had the downfall of trying to make everything seem bigger than it really is. World Super Bowl anyone? So who other than the USA is actually in this World Super Bowl? Hmm...

And you are right about US history. In fact it is so bad that many young American's don't quite understand that their origin is not really America. I've encountered loads of American's on forums and in online game chats that didn't understand that they were not a native American. Although if you go far enough back then the Native American isn't actually from America either, but migrated down from Russia, though Canada a long time ago.

But go far enough back and you will find the same is true for many parts of the UK too, although you are going a long way back through history to get to that point.

I think one of the problems with America is that as a nation they are so young. And are still very fragmented into each of their original origin nations, with Italians, Scottish, Irish, Spanish etc all still viewing themselves as Irish American etc instead of just American. I think while that is still the case the country will never be a truly united country in itself. In the UK people view themselves based on the region of the UK they are from, not another country their ancestors originated from centuries ago (with the exception of the recent (last 60 years) of immigrants into the UK, but I won't go there).

Also American's definitely don't get the scale of things in the UK. Some friends of my Uncle came to the UK for the first time a few years ago and they thought, as many American's do, that the UK is so over populated that we are all standing shoulder to shoulder with our houses backing on to each other for the whole length of the British Isles. They left the air port and thought this was true, seeing the inner city of London with it's crowded streets. However when they left London and were driving through Kent they were gob smacked at how green and open the landscape was.

And actually, this is something a few friends of mine from China and other far eastern countries have told me. They were all quite surprised at how fertile and green the whole of the UK is. In China especially, much of the region is seasonal with droughts and rainy seasons.

Another big different between the US and the UK is the construction of buildings. Most of the US looks like overnight prefabricated buildings, with towns and cities that might have been there for over a 100 years looking like they have just been put up quickly over night and might vanish again the next. In the UK we use proper building materials (well most of the time), making things out of brick! And many live in buildings older than the USA! My Uncle couldn't resist that comment when he was visiting a museum in the US. On a tour he asked how old something was, and commented "my house is older than that!" :LOL:

There are a couple of things that really bugs me about the US. Their government's view that they are the only super power in the world, and that what they say has to be done by the rest of the world. Why does it? If for example China decided to do something I don't think the US would really be able to stand up against them. It is very similar to when England were on their crusades, trying to force others to turn to Christianity. A religion which I personally view as being the root cause of many of todays current problems.

And the second is religion. The USA is taking up religion again at a frightening rate. I for one don't think the world will ever be able to unite into a single United World while religion is at the forefront of so many people's lives. I would never go as far as to say someone would not be allowed to believe in something, because we are all in our right to believe in whatever we wish and so it should be. However religion goes against logic in most ways, and is an archaic form of population control. And while two opposing religions are worshiped in the world you will always get wars.

I can see why so many do follow a religion. Most people are in need of direction and are too scared or uneducated to want to try and work out everything on their own. Being able to believe in something greater than yourself that has power over your actions and beliefs takes this worry away from you and makes you think that you are living your life based on what someone higher than yourself wants you to do.

This in itself would be fine if everyone used the moral aspects of most religions to live their lives. We would all be better off, and the world would be a nicer place to be. However the reinterpretation of religious writings and the meanings behind them can so easily be twisted to fit the purposes of other less ethical individuals and orginisations, and turn their believers from good to evil.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester

@ Harrison

We need to be careful what vocabulary we use here, othewise, the Americans will get all mardy on us and we will get mithered to billy-o about what gobsmacked means.

I spent ages during the week when my US counterpart came over just getting a basic dictionary of Manc to Yank together.....

:mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom