Up against a wall, suggestions?

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
Okay, I know most of you don't know me super well, but I'm pretty certain by now you all know that I have the constitution of a dying mouse, as to say none whatsoever, I get sick quite often, and quite often in ways that end me up in the hospital. Our insurance is great for most of this cost, but in the interim I haven't been working as much as I should, or would like. I need to sell items, but I'm up against a wall on what to sell. I have a few things that might be worthwile to some people but I don't know. I would like to list a couple things and see if there is any interest in them before I start selling off my Amigas, as I have cut those back to the ones I really want to keep. I will wait for approval to post some things, this is not a sales thread, and I just want to post some areas that I have items in and see if people are interested, if that is okay? If I have placed this in the wrong spot, I apologize and humbly asked that it be moved to the correct location. I await a moderators response.

Thank you,

Nathan

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Hiyas Nathan,

My friend I am saddened to read of your health - my hope is that there will be something on the horizon for you soon, of most internet forum folk I would say that you certainly deserve a break =)

Now, in regards to posting items - I would suggest the best way would be to post a "For Sale" and list it as a "pending sale" this way fellow members can follow the protocol and keep things safe.

as long as you put / state the reason of pending and make it known to those whom show interest in the thread the limmitations of your "For Sale" thread then it should be ok.

thats my take on it.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
There seem to be certain points in life we need to pass. 29 is not an age to get sick a lot. Look at the future - and take care of yourself. A positive attitude might help to get you started..

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
I wish I could say I was just a hypochondriac, but unfortunately I am indeed sick too often for my own good. My new doctor thinks it has something to do with my sinuses. I get 4-8 sinus infections a year, and no season is better for me sinus wise. I appreciate the kind words, and I do try to maintain a positive outlook, but I have to face the facts right at the moment. Being that I am not allowed to work by my doctors orders, We have been relying solely on my wife's income for the past five months or so. This wouldn't be a problem except with her last pay raise, it moved her into the next tax bracket, and she makes less now than she did before the raise. I cannot keep asking her to pay my bills, even though she would until we were bankrupt. If this means I have to sell my accelerated A600 and my A3000T then I must do so. But I have lots of smallish items I could sell, it's just that it's not Amiga items. Like I have an LC III mac in good working order with it's keyboard and mouse. The PRAM battery needs to be installed (doesn't have one at all) but it boots and runs lots of different software. I have a Quadra 840AV which was stripped before the previous owner bought it, so it needs attention. I have my G4 450 tower with an NForce 4Ti 4200 in it. I have my old computers, 486 DX2 50 and a 486 SX 25, as well as an assortment of older athlon and pentium systems. The problem is, I don't know what to post and I don't know what will draw people's attention. I have a complete in box copy of Conquests of the Longbow on the PC, which is apparently uncommon, and I was unable to sell it on e-bay when they commonly go for a bunch. I just don't know what to sell. So should I just post something for a week, see if anyone is interested then ask the thread to be closed? I am walking on ground that I've never tread before. I am such a terrible pack rat that I hate to get rid of anything. I have 4 boxes of Atari ST games downstairs that don't get played due to the master drive in my Mega ST2 needing to be replaced, but I posted several sealed games and I don't even know if anyone has ever looked at them. Please, any ideas would be very welcome and appreciated.

Thank you for reading my whinging,

Nathan

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
I guess the answer is "If in doubt, create a thread for it" -- There's no listing fees on Amibay, so you can offer as much kit as you like. If nobody bites, the threads get closed off and nobody is any the worse off.

If you want to avoid looking like you're spamming us, perhaps combining items to a thread makes sense (So, one thread for the three or so Macs you have, a separate one for Atari ST games)

Hope you feel better soon!

:grouphug:

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
If you want to avoid looking like you're spamming us, perhaps combining items to a thread makes sense (So, one thread for the three or so Macs you have, a separate one for Atari ST games)

Lol! I did that before, but because there were so many cards it was suggested that I break it into separate threads!:LOL: My problem is this, what I consider worthwhile and important is necessarily something others do, and I don't want to feel the fool for posting something no one is even going to look at. I mean, it's not like I'm going to post antique train sets or something but I at least want to post something some one else will want.

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton

Lol! I did that before, but because there were so many cards it was suggested that I break it into separate threads!:LOL: My problem is this, what I consider worthwhile and important is necessarily something others do, and I don't want to feel the fool for posting something no one is even going to look at. I mean, it's not like I'm going to post antique train sets or something but I at least want to post something some one else will want.

It's hard to call that one. One man's trash is another man's treasure, as they say. You might think a battered old Quadra 840 isn't much use, but someone else might be desperate for it. Heck, I wouldn't mind a Q840, but international shipping and the 110V PSU would likely be a deal-killer.

Don't feel bad if you offer something that nobody wants, at least you've given them the choice.

Oh, and tell me more about these antique train sets! ;-)

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
Those antique train were my great grandfather's on my paternal side. I was bequeathed them when I was 9 years old. The surprising thing is my great grandfather is still alive at 94, but my grandfather and father have both passed away. He gave them to me because I was the only one that liked playing with them. They are very very old. I know they still run though, as I got them out of storage and worked on them a bit last year. They are absolutely beautiful. Those are something I will never part with though, as I have too many memories attached to them, like my first edition copies of Robinson Crusoe, and Treasure Island Novels.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I think those trains have more value then anything else on the list. However I would not use amibay to sell them.

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
They are antiques and family heirlooms as several of the cars were made by my great grandpa. I will never sell them as I want to pass them on to my children.

Brian

AmiBayer
Country
USA
Region
Kentucky
Like AndyLandy, an old Apple machine wouldn't hurt my feelings too terribly. The emulators work pretty well, but the genuine article is pretty sweet, too. I'll keep an eye open. I'm also looking into building a somewhat retro machine from scratch, but if I can locate old ISA cards along the way, I might see if I can develop the system in such a way as to utilize old hardware. The older machines also make really nice router/firewalls with a mini-Linux distro and a couple of network cards. That's what I currently use.

As Jurgen said, the trains are probably worth the most but also the most irreplaceable of everything you mentioned and heirlooms. Good luck making that decision, my friend. I hope that it won't come to that for you, though.

Perhaps as Zetr0 said, you can setup a "pending" group of items and let them go as needed. At least some of the front-end work would be completed (shipping quotes) and I doubt that anyone would mind waiting a few days/weeks to determine the final status as long as we know what's happening.

Get well soon!

Nathanieltolbert

Country
United States
Region
Olathe, Kansas
I wanted to say thank you to everyone for their suggestions, and as such you will all notice that i have posted several of my personal items up for sale. I am now sitting much more comfortably than I was, and I've now been cleared to go back to work, so I will be working more than I have. I was looking at the fact that I haven't been using all of my Amigas as much as before and two of them are just sitting around doing nothing. Now I like both of them very much, but it seems wrong of me to have both an A3000T and an accelerated A600 not getting much use. Both are about the same speed and I going to keep one of them, but I plan on selling one of them. The question is as such. Which would people here be more interested in seeing here?

An A3000T with SCSI CD-ROM 1 GB HD 2MB chip and 16MB fast? Or an A600 with 250MB HD 2MB Chip and 4MB fast with a 68030/40? I know that the A600 is easier to ship, but the 3000T is much more uncommon. I paid the same amount for both of them and I will be selling them for how much I bought them for, but which would people here want to see?

Thanks for your help and have a wonderful weekend!

Nathan

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
I am glad that you can go back to work. I hope you stay well for know and in the future.

I have no clue, a cpu expanded 600 or 3000t are both rare.

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
From what ive seen around here so far I'd say the 3000 is more of a collectors thing than the expanded 600 but both will generate interest from different groups methinks...

Why not list both in the same thread and state that only one of them will be selling pending interest? Is this allowed mods?

See which one goes first then close the thread when a deal is made?

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
For what it is worth, Here is my 2 cents. Keep the T, you probably will NEVER be able to replace it. The A600 is fairly easy to get a hold of , even in the USA, if you know how too and where to look (I can give you directions on that, if need be) but what you want to do is take the Accelerator out of it and keep it handy in a static free bag. That way if you ever do get another A600, you will not have to spend an arm and a leg and whole lot of time hunting one down. I also think you will get MORE money if you sell the A600 and the Accelerator separately (if it cam down to that). What you may wish to do is spend the 40 or so dollars (well worth it) and put a CF hard drive in the A600 from AmigaKIT. I know you can get the CF addaptors for .99 cents from China, but trust me, hunting down a usable CF card is murder. I, personally like the ones from Matt, as they have the "Pre-OS install", and Directory Opus 4 already installed. If i could afford it, I would order a dozen of these tomorrow and have them installed in all my Amigas.
I have gotten rid of all my A2000's and now I am absolutely kicking myself for it. I Should have grabbed an accelerator card from one, the DBK Megachip from it also and just put them in my pile and made "Good A2000" but space is just not that abundant here. I also should have never sold my toaster cards and Kitchen sink TBC, for my T had a toaster in it at one time, and all the software is still installed. I had for a time regretted selling the A3000, but when I got my T all that had changed..
Yes, I know my T is on the online store, but I think at the price its listed for, I am safe from selling it for now, and if someone ever did pay the asking price, it would not be too hard too let it go.

Just my 2 cents.. for what its worth.

Top Bottom