updating 3.0 To 3.1

DonAmiga

AmiBayer
Country
Scotland
Region
Midlothian
Hi, If I install WB 3.1 over 3.0 on my HD. Will it inter-fear or change any other programs which is already saved on HD ? eg WHDLoad :unsure:

Just wanted to check before I did it.

Thanks

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
One of the main things it'll do (as well as upgrading your old 3.0 files) is replace your Startup-Sequence with the default 3.1 one, so you may want to back up anything you have on your SYS: partition, just in case, although, I think the 3.1 installer will create a folder called OLD and move S:Startup-Sequence, S:User-Startup, S:ED-Startup, S:Shell-Startup, S:CLI-Startup and DEVS:Mountlist to this folder before installing 3.1 .... you may want to do this yourself first though, just in case it doesn't, I know when I upgraded from 2.04 to 2.1 on my A3000 it did this!

DonAmiga

AmiBayer
Country
Scotland
Region
Midlothian
Thanks it was setting up an old file.

But doesn't seem to be working anyway, keep getting WB 3.1 has read error on disk block.:(

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
But doesn't seem to be working anyway, keep getting WB 3.1 has read error on disk block.:(

You've got either a damaged floppy disk or an iffy floppy drive then.
Have you got a spare copy of the offending floppy about?
If so, give that a try! Otherwise, if you have the ability to transfer ADF to real floppy, you may want to write yourself a new copy of the 3.1 disks.

DonAmiga

AmiBayer
Country
Scotland
Region
Midlothian
Hi Thanks, I have ADF Kit so may need to need to write a new copy of the 3.1 disk. disk drive seems to work ok with other disks. I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

Cheers

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi Thanks, I have ADF Kit so may need to need to write a new copy of the 3.1 disk. disk drive seems to work ok with other disks. I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

Cheers

Hi,

I've got another set of original workbench 3.1 disks if you want me to send you a replacement?

Sorry for the inconvience.

Steve.

DonAmiga

AmiBayer
Country
Scotland
Region
Midlothian
Hi Steve, That would be great, I tried WB 3.1 in my a600
and it was still the same.

Thanks

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi Steve, That would be great, I tried WB 3.1 in my a600
and it was still the same.

Thanks

No worries, still have your details here.

I'll send you another set. Once you're happy with the new set would you mind sending the old set back? I should be able to restore them :)

Sorry for the trouble.

Steve.

*Update*

I've been through the install this morning with this set of disks and its completed, no problems. =)

Posting this morning for you...

Steve.

**Update** Disks Sent =)

Last edited:

DonAmiga

AmiBayer
Country
Scotland
Region
Midlothian
Hi All

Fitzsteve, sent me a replacement set of wb 3.1 disks, which I have to say was gentlemanly for offering (y),

just before I install them, do I need to back-up the hard-drive, which is 4gb full of games and stuff or is this not necessary?

Thanks

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
Thanks Woodycool(y)

Just thought It would be best to check.
Only files that belong to workbench which are on the SYS: volume will be affected.
If you've upgraded any of those files, you may wish to back them up.
I tend to have a drawer tucked away on my DH2: partition, and before an upgrade, I drop to a Shell and issue the following command

copy DH0: DH2:BACKUP/WB30 all clone noreq

which basically copies the contents of DH0: to a drawer called WB30 (inside another drawer called BACKUP as I keep many backups) on drive DH2:
The ALL switch recurses subdirectories, the CLONE switch preserves file comments, protection switches and file datestamp/timestamp. Finally, the NOREQ switch prevents any System Requesters from appearing. If there's an error in the copying process, that file will be skipped automatically.

Hope this is of use.

DonAmiga

AmiBayer
Country
Scotland
Region
Midlothian
Hi Woodycool, Thanks for your help (y)

I managed to back up and install WB.

just had to change DH2 to CF0, as it was full, so used compact flash card.
everything went ok.

I have noticed something, which I may need to open thread, or if you can help.

When I was trying to install 3.1 the other day. I was getting a very clear picture when it came to reading text on WB screen, much better than it was before with 3.0. But as it had failed to install it returned to the pour blurred text. Now that 3.1 is installed. It hasn't clear up the text.

So I'm left wondering why this was:huh: I am using an LCD TV with scart lead

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
Ahh, sounds like you've lost your screenmode preferences etc.
If you still have the backup, look in the Prefs/env-archive/ folder, then copy that to SYS:prefs/env-archive/ (including all subfolders, especially the SYS folder)
Once done, reboot the Amiga .... you should have all of your preferences again (well most of them)

DonAmiga

AmiBayer
Country
Scotland
Region
Midlothian
Ahh, sounds like you've lost your screenmode preferences etc.
If you still have the backup, look in the Prefs/env-archive/ folder, then copy that to SYS:prefs/env-archive/ (including all subfolders, especially the SYS folder)
Once done, reboot the Amiga .... you should have all of your preferences again (well most of them)

HI

I see what your saying, but it was rubbish before I started, it was only when I was mucking around with the version of 3.1 the other night which could not install due to block errors.

Do you still think the same? also how can I be sure that 3.1 is install ok.

I take it that workbench version 40.42 is 3.1?

Cheers

cosmicfrog

The 1 That Ribbits
Country
UK
Region
Leek, Staffordshire Moorlands
how are you connecting ami to monitor ??

you could try diffrent monitor settings

theres some more in storage

woodycool

Amiga enthusiast!
Country
Northampton, UK
Region
Northamptonshire, UK
Try messing about with the Screenmode preferences
If you can't find anything that's good out of them, try a few of the monitor drivers from SYS:Storage/Monitors/ (like cosmicfrog suggested)
To make the change permanent, copy the monitor from SYS:Storage/Monitors/ to SYS:DEVS/Monitors/ and then 'Save' the screenmode preferences

DonAmiga

AmiBayer
Country
Scotland
Region
Midlothian
how are you connecting ami to monitor ??

you could try diffrent monitor settings

theres some more in storage

Hi Thanks, its a LCD TV that can be use as a monitor, I have tried different settings. As I was say earlier, it was when I was trying to install the first copy of 3.1, and was getting a very crisp clear setting, with sharp readable text. so don't know what was going on. but it must be possible. I will try different things and see what happens.

I thought it may be some thing on the disk that was changing the prefs?

Cheers

---------- Post added at 23:37 ---------- Previous post was at 23:33 ----------

Try messing about with the Screenmode preferences
If you can't find anything that's good out of them, try a few of the monitor drivers from SYS:Storage/Monitors/ (like cosmicfrog suggested)
To make the change permanent, copy the monitor from SYS:Storage/Monitors/ to SYS:DEVS/Monitors/ and then 'Save' the screenmode preferences

I'll give it a try, Thanks

---------- Post added at 23:50 ---------- Previous post was at 23:37 ----------

how are you meant to use the monitor:huh:

Top Bottom