Upgrade HP DV6770ev laptop from Vista to Win7

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
I'm thinking upgrading my father's laptop from Vista to Win7, but HP doesn't give any clue about Win7 drivers to all its laptops.

Any clue where to seek for those drivers?

Thanks.

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
Firstly I reckon theat drivers won't be an issue with that laptop, W7 should have drivers for everything.

I have looked ate the other models in that series - the se and eg versions have a W7 download but it is only for the HP wireless assistant so again it looks as if there won't be an issue if all the other variants use the windows or Vista drivers.

If you want to check more then download the W7 upgrade advisor and run it on his laptop http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15

Gary

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Thanx Gary, I'll try to check this at night.

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
also if something doesn't work just use the vista or xp driver, w7 is pretty good as far as drivers are concered (sshhhh don't talk too loud or Kin will be in here telling us how poo w7 is;))

cheers, JuvUK

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
also if something doesn't work just use the vista or xp driver, w7 is pretty good as far as drivers are concered (sshhhh don't talk too loud or Kin will be in here telling us how poo w7 is;))

cheers, JuvUK

FYI, XP drivers wont work with Win7, the Vista ones should be OK though.

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce
Wut they said, the general rule: what worked on Vista, will (* in most cases *) work on W7.

* sometimes you need to install them in Vista compatibility mode. *

Everything I got has a native driver, the only thing was a Packard Bell Diamond 1200 Plus AKA Mustek 1200 Plus USB scanner (tested both, they use the exact same driver), and I had to install it with the Vista x64 driver in compatibility mode, without that it didn't even know where to install itself, it just unpacked all files to C:

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
So, no need to seek for those drivers? Just install Win7 and use the Vista ones?:unsure:

Shoonay

Global Caturator
Country
Poland
Region
Kaczyce
Of course it's better to have native W7 drivers, you HAVE TO install those in case of the GPU or soundcard to avoid problems, I'm just saying you don't have to in some cases.

What are those devices you fear might not have proper drivers?
Because in many cases the standard drivers build in W7 will do just fine, not to mention the auto-update feature of Windows Update might find those.

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
I didn't start yet. I'll start the upgrade this evening.

jimbob005

AmiBayer
Country
swadlincote,uk
Region
swadlincote
i just this min finished putting windows 7 on my acer aspire one laptop and widows 7 found the drivers for me for my hp laserjet 4l from 1993 it found and installed the drivers for me

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Another question.

My Acer laptop has Win7 Home installed. Can I use the same code like in XP, to install Win7 on my HP laptop? Or it's only once?

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
Legally - once, and if it is OEM (Came with laptop) then it "Should" die with the laptop.

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
It came with the laptop, but if I enter the same product key will not work like XP?

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Well it's a good upgrade it's better then vista.

I do not run any of it anymore, since I managed to get my notebooks to run mac os x to some level, running my programs I need, dual boot with ubuntu jaunty.

But it is still windows. Even some XP drivers worked in the beta w7 releases at home. (I've spend some time with it, and yes W7 is quicker in my opinion, compared with vista)

;) Probably an upgrade with no special expansions (scanner, printer-multifunction) etc) will not need any driver, since your hardware is "old" and the driver is build in by microslof.:ninja: Installing it will be easy, but an upgrade is tricky, I would format and start from scratch, if there is no data..

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
I would format and start from scratch, if there is no data..

@Phantom if you are going to use the license from your laptop you will have to start from scratch as it is not an upgrade license ;)

Templar

VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Yes from scratch, as my father's laptop with the super and the best os around the universe refused to work anymore, and after it said that I have to use the recover disk to recover the system files, the nice OS just formatted everything and my father lost everything. Simple as that. (n)

So, yes, Win7 installation will be from scratch. So, can I use my other laptop's licence then?

imnogeek

Country
UK
Region
Midlands
You will need a license from somewhere, I'll let you decide where you get it from.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
Actually, everyone appears to be mis-understanding the Licensing from M$.

If you have an OEM copy of XP Pro for example, you can install it on your Desktop Pee Cee & your Laptop at the same time. I would not have thought 2 x Laptops though & definitely not 2 x Destop Pee Cee's

Of course this might be different for for Win7 now, but then I doubt it as the Win7 series all appear to be Retail.

OEM Lisencing says it has to die with the Machine. This is not strictly true. You can acquire re-validation by phoning Microsoft. ;)
Christ @ the number of times I've done it for my OEM copy of XP Pro.:LOL:
The best one was for putting a new DVD drive in my rig. I mean...wtf??

Kin

Top Bottom