Virtual Reality machines

dsyde

Country
England
Region
West Yorks
Does anybody know anything about the hardware used in the old 90's Virtual Reality machines. You know the ones I am talking about, you would see them in shopping centres and arcades, stand on them and wear a headset.

Well I've been told the hardware is Amiga 3000 and I do know someone looking to restore one of these things.

Cool eh? Amiga being responsible for something that was cutting edge technology in its day.

D

Marc

Country
UK
Region
Essex
Does anybody know anything about the hardware used in the old 90's Virtual Reality machines. You know the ones I am talking about, you would see them in shopping centres and arcades, stand on them and wear a headset.

Well I've been told the hardware is Amiga 3000 and I do know someone looking to restore one of these things.

Cool eh? Amiga being responsible for something that was cutting edge technology in its day.

D

Virtuality licensed the amiga 3000 hardware to create virtual reality machines.

Some info on virtuality and their machines here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtuality_(gaming)

---------- Post added at 23:00 ---------- Previous post was at 22:57 ----------

I actually played Dactyl Nightmare and Grid Busters at church street station in Florida as a kid.

dsyde

Country
England
Region
West Yorks
I never got to play on one of these back in the day. I wish I had. It didn't take long for these machines to disapear because of reliability.

D

ChrisUnionNJ

We Will Never Forget..
Country
USA
Region
Union,NJ
I never got to play on one of these back in the day. I wish I had. It didn't take long for these machines to disapear because of reliability.

D

It was more it cost to much to play $5 for ten min I tried it a few times it was fun..

Chris :coffee:

desiv

work in progress...
Country
USA
Region
Salem Oregon
Played Dactyl Nightmare myself back in the day.
Although, whether it was the original Amiga version or the later model PC (486) version, I'm not sure...

I know there was some talk about emulating at least the PC version (SU2000??) in the MAME, DOSBOX, and MESS groups, but they each kept saying it was the others area, so it never happened...

I've seen the SU2000 stuff show up infrequently on e-bay, but I haven't noticed the Amiga based version show up...

desiv

T_Hairy_Bootson

Workbitch 1.3
Country
Australia
Region
Melbourne
I got to play Dactyl Nightmare against a friend and another WWI dogfighting game. They had Dactyl Nightmare set up at our local shopping center (mall) at the time while it was still bleeding edge tech.

I had read all about it in CUAmiga so I was telling the cyber carny running it all about the amiga used inside and how I had one simillar at home. (I dont think he was really interested to be honest) :)

Top Bottom