Vote for worse piece of Amiga hardware!

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
Hey guys,

I thought this might be fun, and informative.

I would like everyone to suggest, or vote for (if it has already been suggested) the worst piece of Amiga hardware they have come across.

Criteria can be as varied as you like. For instance, hardware that did not do what it was intended to. Has substandard or no drivers. Was excessively expensive. Impossible to acquire. Etc etc.

My contribution is the following:

Retina Z2 gfx card - NO Drivers available at all (EGS drivers seem to be a myth, no P96 driver, no Cgfx driver and RetinaEmu does not work with OS 3.5/3.9). So this card is basically a paper weight.

Opalvision 24 bit card - great idea, terrible execution. Card is not actually retargetable, so can only be used with the 3 pieces of (old) software written for it. Is only low resolution (since it runs at 15 khz only), can only be used with 15 khz monitors. Cannot even retarget workbench to it. Basically another paperweight.

I look forward to hearing about your hardware nightmares/lemons.

jvdbossc

HypnusBE
Country
Belgium
Region
Antwerp (province)
Mediator elbox pci and their excellent support together with the old stock and need to buy updated mach chip a complete :|:run:

Tomse

RISK is good
AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Copenhagen
Mediator TX for A1200

still haven't gotten the Soundblaster pci128 to work with it.

fitzsteve

Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Micronik Z3I Busboard for its pointless PCI slots :D

HonestFlames

Country
England
Region
Shropshire
Some horrible, old sound sampler I once had which plugged into the parallel port. Noisy as hell and terrible quality.

Also a frame capture card which didn't come with its own power supply and created a ground loop with my universal power supply, resulting in a rolling sinus, not-quite-50Hz band of light/dark on the captured pictures.

The A500 keyboard, for spilling all of its springs if you disassembled it incorrectly.

quarkx

insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
My vote is either for a Commodore A2088 or the KCS "Power PC" Board. I am sorry but an 8080 processor is useless for any PC applications.
The "bridgeboard" part my be ok of ISA slots, but you really need a 386 or 486 to do anything "useful" on a PC.
The KCS board for the 500 really stumps me on its usability, you still have to use the A500's floppy and monitor for the PC side so I could never see any point to it.

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
The Catweasel, for having drivers that are "poo" (according to JuvUK) and for generally being a not-quite-finished piece of hardware.

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
Opalvision 24 bit card - great idea, terrible execution. Card is not actually retargetable, so can only be used with the 3 pieces of (old) software written for it. Is only low resolution (since it runs at 15 khz only), can only be used with 15 khz monitors. Cannot even retarget workbench to it. Basically another paperweight.

I look forward to hearing about your hardware nightmares/lemons.

ModePro from Aminet allows correctly written software to use most graphics cards. I've used it with several programs before I got my curent card.

As for useless hardware it's got to be a PC :D

Dave G :cool:

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
I second the 8088 based bridgeboards, what a waste of time. My 060 can run PC Task 4 times faster than a huge slab of silicon that takes up a valuable zorro slot. :)

Completely and utterly useless.

---------- Post added at 07:14 ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 ----------

Hey, will mode pro allow you to retarget gfx to non rtg gfx card?! The reason I ask is that I have a bloody Retina Z2 and RetinaEmu is too buggy to be usable with OS 3.9. Will Modepro allow wb etc to be retargetted to the Retina?

davideo

I look like Gizmo
Staff member
Administrator
Staff Moderator
Treasurer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Boston, Lincs
Hey, will mode pro allow you to retarget gfx to non rtg gfx card?! The reason I ask is that I have a bloody Retina Z2 and RetinaEmu is too buggy to be usable with OS 3.9. Will Modepro allow wb etc to be retargetted to the Retina?

It did with a Cybergrpahics card.

Wouldn't hurt to try it.

It's easy to setup.

Dave G :cool:

Lugosi

Country
Germany
Region
Düsseldorf, NRW
My vote goes to the internal Action Replays for the A2000 - for occupying the CPU-slot.

About the 8088 bridgeboards I have to say though: Back in '87/'88 they could be very useful (at least it was for me).

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
Not strictly Amiga hardware, but related nonetheless: ZIP DRAM chips. They were uncommon and expensive then, they still are now and they're an absolute £$^&£@$ to fit in to the sockets!

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
/rant mode on....

The Emplant board

A total nightmare to set up & configure with pi$$ poor support from the UK Company fronting it. A great but very very dissapointing idea, towards the end of the C= Amiga reign, yet the perfect shaped item to shove where the sun didn't shine from said supplier. ....Preferably with a size 10 hob-nailed boot & backplane end first so it hurt all the way out too. :mrgreen:

/rant mode off....

Kin

tokyoracer

(Not actually from Tokyo).
Blogger
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Norfolk
I third quarkx's comment on bridgeboard word by word. Only 386's and above are any good really.

However nothing here has made me think it's absolute crap since all the hardware mentioned works some way or another (if let down by drivers support or effectiveness).
For me the worst by a country mile is Alpha Data's Optical Mouse. Bad enough it wouldn't even work on any material apart from its special hard mat, though even that didn't work well. Then it gets scratched up by the very thing it's meant to be used for and stops working altogether. . . :roll:

Jumping Anaconda

AmiBayer
Country
England
Region
Hertfordshire
Surely the 8088 boards were not useless in the context of when they were released? We still used pre-286 machines in my School until 1994-1995, and the bottleneck was the network driven disk access rather than the actual machines.

Kin Hell

Banned
Country
U.K.
Region
Cornwall
<snip>

Not entirely sure with the Retina cards. IIRC, it was RetinEMU back in the Retina II days or nothing at all. As davideo points out though, it's worth a shot if nothing else. (y)

Retina III boards were a much nicer animal to play with.

Kin

abraXXious

Banned
Country
Australia
Yessum, but this is for a zorro II amiga - so Retina ZIII is no good. :(

The point I was making was that even though similar, or even slightly lower specced cards got some new driver love in the form of P96 or Cgx... the Retina was left with its offical driver, the incredably crappy RetinaEmu, which is not even as good as EGS.

I will try Modepro later, but I cannot see how it could possibly work. I believe Modepro works by intercepting intuition calls to set up a custom screen, ie ECS 640x512 x 64 colours, and redirecting the output to another user defined custom screen, ie P96 800 x 600 x 256 colours. But I would think that Modepro simply accesses the gfx subsystem for the installed hardware, ie P96. So I dont see how it would directly FIND and ACCESS a piece of hardware - ie Retina Z2, if there is presently no graphics subsystem for it running as a layer on the OS.

Please correct me if I got anythign wrong.

Top Bottom