commodorejohn

Shameless recidivist
Rating - 100%
22   0   1
Country
United States
Region
Minnesota
Since I now have an Amiga 2000 (well, 2500 technically, but it's missing the accelerator,) I'm looking to make it my main Amiga and sell off the 500, freeing up a little desk space in my computer-cave ;) However, I'd like to get it up to about the level of my 500 setup. What I'm basically looking to do here is trade in my 500 upgrades for some 2000 ones. I have some asking prices in mind for my 500 bits, but I'm open to straight-across trades or just buying 2000 upgrades if you have something I could use but don't need anything I have.

What I'm looking for:
  • 16-30MHz accelerator of some kind. An 020 or 030 board would be nice, but not strictly necessary. I'm not really looking for heavy-duty stuff like 060 or PPC boards, and can't really afford the typical asking price anyway. SOLD
  • A few meg of fast RAM. This can be an expansion facility of another card or a dedicated memory expansion; I don't care one way or the other. SOLD
  • An Ethernet card would be kind of fun, but I don't know how rare these are.
What I have:
  • Supra Hard Disk + RAM. This isn't listed on amiga.resource.cx for some reason, but seems to be essentially similar to the Supra 500XP: an A500 SCSI controller with space for an internal 3.5" drive and ZIP sockets for fast RAM. Currently loaded with a full 8MB of fast RAM (16 1MBx4 ZIPs,) and comes with a 40MB drive. I'd ask $40, or $30 with 4MB of RAM, if I can get a 2000 expansion into which to place the other 4MB. SOLD
  • Supra Turbo 28. 28MHz vanilla 68000. Nothing particularily special, but as long as you've got some fast RAM it's a noticeable speed boost. Can be installed in a 500 or a 2000 (comes with the case for 500 use.) If I can't get an affordable accelerator for my 2000, I'm going to hang onto this. Asking $35. SOLD
  • Amiga 500. No clock-port expansion, so it only has 512KB of RAM, but it does come with Kickstart 3.1. Just the computer and power supply. Asking $30.
Everything's in good condition; pictures to follow this evening or tomorrow. I'd prefer to get things from within the US, but I'm open to offers from elsewhere. Again, while I'd like to get about the asking prices for selling my 500 bits separately, I'm open to straight trades for 2000 stuff. Any takers?

P.S. I'm cross-posting this on the Vintage Computer Forum.

Last edited:

AndyLandy

Acceleration!
Treasurer
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Southampton
First up, your Kickstart ROM is directly transferable from your A500 into you A2500. If you're lucky, your Supra Turbo 28 might also be transplantable, but you'd need to check that. Some versions had connectors for both the A500 and the A2000.

For a hard disk, Zorro II SCSI cards are cheap and plentiful, I'm sure someone can turf you one up fairly easily. Ram is also Zorro II, and again is often quite modestly priced. In fact, you might be best-off seeking out a SCSI/FastRAM combo card (The holy grail being the GVP-Impact HC+8 card)

Ethernet is (yet again) a Zorro card. The Ariadne is a fine choice, but they're a little uncommon. Your best bet would probably be to try and track down an X-Surf. I think you can still get these new from Amigakit/Vesalia/etc.

Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Unfortunately X-Surf is discontinued and no longer available. :(

commodorejohn

Shameless recidivist
Rating - 100%
22   0   1
Country
United States
Region
Minnesota
First up, your Kickstart ROM is directly transferable from your A500 into you A2500. If you're lucky, your Supra Turbo 28 might also be transplantable, but you'd need to check that. Some versions had connectors for both the A500 and the A2000.
Indeed it is, but the 2000 also came with 3.1, so there's no need to downgrade the 500. (That said, I do still have the 1.3 ROM it came with, if anyone wants that as well.) The Supra Turbo is transplantable, and I have it tested and working in my 2000, but I'd like to get a better accelerator if it's not too difficult/pricy.

For a hard disk, Zorro II SCSI cards are cheap and plentiful, I'm sure someone can turf you one up fairly easily. Ram is also Zorro II, and again is often quite modestly priced. In fact, you might be best-off seeking out a SCSI/FastRAM combo card (The holy grail being the GVP-Impact HC+8 card)
I'd definitely be open to getting a SCSI+RAM card if I can find one, but I do currently have a non-RAM GVP card that came with the 2000, so that's not a necessity; the only thing I really need is some kind of fast RAM.

Ethernet is (yet again) a Zorro card. The Ariadne is a fine choice, but they're a little uncommon. Your best bet would probably be to try and track down an X-Surf. I think you can still get these new from Amigakit/Vesalia/etc.
This is kind of what I remembered from looking around earlier this year. I might take a look around, but again, this is more a frivolous "wouldn't it be fun" thing, so it's not a priority.

mikem

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Country
USA
Region
San Diego, CA
Expressing interest in all of your A500 items. Can you send pictures please?

Thanks.

commodorejohn

Shameless recidivist
Rating - 100%
22   0   1
Country
United States
Region
Minnesota
Okay! Finally got a chance to take pictures. Here's the Amiga:
amigar.jpg

As you can see, it's a little bit yellowed, but otherwise in good condition.

Also, while six981 has already agreed to trade for the Supra stuff, here it is, for reference:
suprap.jpg

Anyway, for an update: thanks to the swap with six981, I now have a GVP SCSI card on the way that includes fast RAM, so all I have left is the accelerator; there's a guy on the Vintage Computer forums that I'm waiting to hear back from on that.

commodorejohn

Shameless recidivist
Rating - 100%
22   0   1
Country
United States
Region
Minnesota
Okay, and now to update things. I have an accelerator and a SCSI + RAM card for the machine now, which takes care of most of my needs. I no longer have the Supra HD + RAM or Turbo 28 expansions, but I do still have the Amiga 500; I haven't heard back from mikem yet on whether he still wants it, so he has first dibs on it, but it's still open for other interested parties at this point. I'm now looking for the following:

• A second floppy drive for my 2000, which seems to have decided that there's one installed, so I might as well have one. Are there any restrictions on what drives work with an Amiga? If not, I might be able to provide this myself.
  • I'd still like to get an Ethernet card for the fun of it, but as before, I don't need it badly enough to pay rare-item prices for it, so if you have one laying around that you'd let go for cheap, I'd be interested.
I have the following to offer:
  • Amiga 500. As before, it's a basic machine with 512KB of RAM, no clock-port expansion, and Kickstart 3.1. Asking $30.
  • GVP A2000-HC. A basic Zorro II SCSI controller with no RAM expansion, but it does work and has a place for a drive on the card. Asking $20.
As before, the prices are flexible and I'm definitely open to trades. Any takers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom